Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a 88 crx hf and im basically pretty newbie when it comes to honda's(more of a toyota/lexus geek) had one quite sometime now and it was a daily driver then i stopped using it for like a yr and i want to autocross with it now cause i see the car as such a waste to just junk it......

planning to drop a b18b motor w/b16 tranny...but not for the time being until i have my suspension all worked out....but i need to know whats one of the best on the market for racing dampers for the crx.....looking into the tein n1 damper right now.....any suggestions or heard of any good reviews from any kind???

thanks for your time!!!!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Best like -real- racing shock, and not something from china that 'calls' itself a racing shock because it is billet aluminum or something?

Well then, you'll be wanting to contact Koni. This is not something you just order out of a catalog, you need to contact their racing division and talk to them over the phone, and tell them more about your setup... each one is different. Anyway, you can order a shock from them that has been revalved to handle a good spring, and they also shorten them, so that when lowered, the piston is still in an optimal movement range. Thats what a LOT, and i mean MOST of the SCCA ITA and all-oout SCCA Pro-Solo Auto-X guys are running in their Hondas 8)

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I've had Tokico Illuminas and Koni Yellows. My current car has Konis.

What kind of racing are you doing? Occasional autocross or is it a track car? If you're on a budget I would recommend the Illuminas, especially if it's not seeing track stuff all the time. I can't think of anything bad to say about the Konis. The only complaint I have about mine is that they are the old kind, and not on-car adjustable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
downest said:
I've had Tokico Illuminas and Koni Yellows. My current car has Konis.

What kind of racing are you doing? Occasional autocross or is it a track car? If you're on a budget I would recommend the Illuminas, especially if it's not seeing track stuff all the time. I can't think of anything bad to say about the Konis. The only complaint I have about mine is that they are the old kind, and not on-car adjustable.
just my track car....

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
With shortened shocks, no, you wouldn't need to run the (now) useless shock hats...

And for the record, the shock hats are NOT a decent replacement for getting the shortened shocks imho... if you are getting revalved (which he should if this is a track-only car, the street-level Konis are nowhere near what he needs), it is not that much more $$ at ALL to have them shortened at the same time... its well worth it. Then you can sell the useless extended shock hats on eBay or something to someone else who wants the bling :p

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Right, but the shorter shocks (I assume the rods?) will accomplish the same thing. Assuming it's a race car with high spring rates, shock travel isn't a concern as much as having the shock rod in the right place, so I would take the shorter Konis without the top hats.

Both the top hats and the shortened shocks accomplish the same thing as far as rod position, but the top hats also give the benefit of extended travel for the shock body. If you're paying Koni for revalved shocks already, you might as well get them made for the lowered car. If it costs more, compare the cost to the price of the top hats if that's a concern.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how are the konis on the road....cause i want to take the crx up to the canyons once in awhile too.....i was also wonderin does anyone know if they make the rite offset for the SSR meshies for the crx???

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
The right offset? I have my yellows like I said and I love them, but my car is also ridiculously stiff and I don't mind (ES bushings, 550F 650R springs). It holds the road decently, and some of these guys on here can tell you it's pretty fun in autoX too :p

With shortened shocks, no, you wouldn't need to run the (now) useless shock hats...

And for the record, the shock hats are NOT a decent replacement for getting the shortened shocks imho... if you are getting revalved (which he should if this is a track-only car, the street-level Konis are nowhere near what he needs), it is not that much more $$ at ALL to have them shortened at the same time... its well worth it. Then you can sell the useless extended shock hats on eBay or something to someone else who wants the bling Razz
Damn John I didn't even see your post last time... but looks like we agree, which makes me feel like I must be right!

·
Registered
566 Posts
the only reason i ask is because i already have the extended hats. they fit the springs better then stock hats, and they look better too :p

i want to upgrade to custom valved konis soon (illuminas now with 500/400 rates) and go with some 650/500 rate springs. so ill just need the revalving, and no shortened length.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
GSRCRXsi said:
i want to upgrade to custom valved konis soon (illuminas now with 500/400 rates) and go with some 650/500 rate springs. so ill just need the revalving, and no shortened length.
Don't plan on taking girls out in your car, trust me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.