Honda CRX Forum banner

Suspension suggestions

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  donoman 
#1 ·
I have tokico blue suspension package on my DX. It rides well for what it is. I want something more performance oriented for my Si. I do not want to spend an arm and a leg for it. Anybody have any experience with the adjustable tokico struts? What springs should I get? I drive my Si only as a fun weekend car around the curves, and may take it to the track if possible (SCCA cone track haha). So let me know what's up.

I also have heard that the Si does well with a beefier rear sway bar. Is this worth picking up?

I already have 15" wheels with SO-3 rubber on them. They work great.

#2 ·
I see you already posted in my other thread. I love my new setup, though it's not the most comfortable ride around here with all the potholes. Switching the front and rear springs, and using a bigger rear sway will give the car more "snap oversteer". My next suspension purchases are going to be an HF sway bar for the front and either the ST adjustable rear sway or the Tanabe bar.

#3 ·
If you buy the Tokico springs with the adjustable Tokico Illuminas, they seem to be very well matched to each other. Everybody that had that combo is impressed with the handling and the ride quality.

If you are interested in an inexpensive full coilover, I've heard very good things about Omni Power's sets. They retail for about $650 but then you don't have to worry about if the springs and shocks are matched, or if the shock can handle it.

A larger rear sway can definitely help the rear rotate easier. So can a front sway bar from an HF. I'm planning on picking up a neuspeed rear sway soon. And if it's just a weekend car, how about poly bushings?

#7 ·
Dren, I spent around 550 to have the tokico illuminas shipped with the tokico springs. The springs seem to be close to the stock rates and they lower the vehicle 1.25 inches. The combination is wonderful. I have my settings at 5 (the stiffest) all the way around. I do not road race and my setup is strictly for streetability and comfort. I love what tokico has done. I have fallen in love with this setup. I have done a few road trips and in doing so, have had the ability to soften the dampening (used 3, which is a little above stock stiffness) before leaving. It takes approx. 3-5 minutes to adjust the dampening. It's fast and simple. I highly recommend this setup if you want a very comfortable, very rigid and stiff street setup. I also run 15'' konig helium wheels (10.8lbs each) with 195/50/15 falken ziex 512s.

#9 ·
When I used to use illuminas, I felt they were underdampened for my springs (custom rate ground controls). I ended up blowing struts because they could not rebound quickly enough. Keep this in mind if you plan on getting a stiff spring.

Also what I paid for illuminas I could easily ave bought Koni Reds and pocketed some cash, or laid out another 50 and bought some yellows.

A on epiece coilover setup is definitely in your price range, especially if you can find someone selling a set in lightly used condition. Ive had personl experience with the Tein SS and the omnipowers and have enjoyed both. Ive since switched from my Tein Super Streets to Konis with custom rate ground controls and the ground control top hats, I needed to get the back very very stiff and the Tein dampers (or almost any non speical ordered damper) is up to that.

I HIGHLY recommend a rear sway bar, if you can end up swinging it. I have the neuspeed one and IMHO, its the best one on the market for our cars.

-M@

#11 ·
The Tokico Blue + springs = 350$ and the Tokico Illuminas + springs = 550$.

I am deciding between these kits.

If I just plan to daily drive the car, are the Tokico Blues balanced well enough? I don't plan to performance drive it.

Just that my current shocks are squeaky and I want to replace them and while I'm in there I wouldn't mind lowering the car an inch.

#13 ·
Thanks for your suggestion. I was planning to buy the Tokico kit ($550) with springs + shocks as it turns out cheaper that way. That, and from what I've read above Tokico does a good job matching spring & damping rates.

Mind suggesting your favorite online shop for these parts?

Donovan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.