Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so in about a month or 2 i want to swap out my hf motor and tranny with a D15B SOHC VTEC and tranny from hmmotorsonline..

but i pretty much know nothin about swaps so im probably gonna have the honda shop down the road do it for me so i was curious about how much do you think i would have to pay for them to do the swap for me?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
if you are capable of turning some bolts out with a ratchet and getting the engine out with a crane ( either yours or rented) then we can help you with the rest. . . . no need to pay major dollars at the stealership to have it done...

by god knows who. . . . it will be alot more rewarding if you do it yourself. . . . .plus when stuff goes wrong you will not have to rely on the techs at the dealership to fix it.. . . . you built it so you will have a good idea of how to fix it... if nothing else if you take the old engine out and then dont feel comfortable with it.. . . it will be about he same labor for them to put it back together....

give it a shot. . . .

you can do it. . . . . we are here to help

chris
. . .

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only problem with me doing it myself is the lack of tools knowledge and a place to do it... i live in an apartment complex and i cant just do it right out in the parking lot.. i can do basic things with my motor but i dont know if i could swap the whole thing out by myself

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I would have to discourage you. If you had a garage and tools that would be different. But working in an apartment parking lot isn't a great idea. The apartment or city most likely has rules against it and you are asking for theft.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i never planned on doing it in the first place and all those reasons were my reasons for not trying in the first place.

thats why i need someone else to do this

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Where in kansas are you?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
OK, theres 2 places Id recommend..You can try king kong motorsports (260-3260), kong has LOTS of experience doing this swap, another guy there named freddy has a lot as well(and probably has one of the quickest d series cars in town). You can also try fusionworks racing (393-3278) or go to
http://www.haiokuracing.com/
thats their website. Either way, both shops do quality work, give em a call 8)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah and im sure he knows a **** load more about that **** than i do and im sure hes done it alot

id love to do it myself i just dont have the supplies or place to do it

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Paul said:
yeah and im sure he knows a [crap] load more about that [crap] than i do and im sure hes done it alot

id love to do it myself i just dont have the supplies or place to do it
Experience is a big factor too, the individual referred to above(according to his other posts) used to be a honda tech too. A few years ago, I had a friend who used to be a honda tech help me do a B16 swap on one of my previous CRXs, all it cost me was parts, pizza, and a case of boulevard wheat. All I really did was watch, hand him tools, and lift when he told me to lift, but it was an awesome learning experience, and having a B16 in my rex was pretty cool too :wink:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
dohcya said:
red89si said:
... and having a B16 in my rex was pretty cool too :wink:
i second that... =(
That B16 rex was indeed a lot of fun, but due to the disproportionately large amount of domestics that run around wichita(mainly irrepressably arrogant and disrespectful mustang owners ), my B16 goals for my current rex have come to an end. Right now Im saving for a 97 spec B18C swap for the rex, Im like to hit high 12s low 13s all motor if possible, and still have something thats somewhat of a daily driver. But I must quit this discussion on this thread, for I fear that I tread too near to the lines of threadjacking if I go any further, Ill save anymore info and discussion on this ramble for a later thread.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
red89si said:
OK, theres 2 places Id recommend..You can try king kong motorsports (260-3260), kong has LOTS of experience doing this swap, another guy there named freddy has a lot as well(and probably has one of the quickest d series cars in town). You can also try fusionworks racing (393-3278) or go to
http://www.haiokuracing.com/
thats their website. Either way, both shops do quality work, give em a call 8)
so i took my car to central auto electric not sure if your familier with it.
But anyway the guy told me that king kong does half ass jobs on their swaps because he used to work with him. I told him all my plans for the crx and he tells me that the D15Vtec is worthless. He says i could put a 1.6Y8 vtec head on my stock hf motor and run 14's or 15's with a good tranny.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I think you can use the block, but there are 2 valve reliefs in each of the pistons, you would need 4 or you will trash the valve train. You would need to swap in pistons too.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Paul said:
so i took my car to central auto electric not sure if your familier with it. But anyway the guy told me that king kong does half ass jobs on their swaps because he used to work with him. I told him all my plans for the crx and he tells me that the D15Vtec is worthless. He says i could put a 1.6Y8 vtec head on my stock hf motor and run 14's or 15's with a good tranny.
What was this guys' name?? Theres a few rather questionable characters who have worked for kong in the past that have left and held a grudge... I dont know exactly what to think about him telling you a d15b is worthless and then saying a mini-me is better :cookoo: Like I said, go there and talk to kong or freddy, and get some estimates on what youre wanting done. If you dont like what they offer, give fusionworks a try, theyre top notch,(and pricey) but you wont have any corners cut whatsoever. IMO, theyre the only 2 shops Ill deal with in wichita.

Theres another well known shop you might have heard of that has a dyno, but Ive SEEN their work on cars that people have spent well over 3000 dollars on, and it was SERIOUSLY half-assed. One guy even had his hood sold off his car, because another customer came in and liked it. Now this shop bought him a new one, but it took another 2 weeks for the hood to come in aside from the time it took to to have the work he paid for done. I dont want to tell him how run his business, but if MY car was in getting work done and I find out the owner of the shop sold the hood off off of my car and didnt tell me, needless to say Id never darken the doors of that place again....

BTW, whats your operating budget for this swap? i.e. whats the most you want to spend???

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im not sure of the guys name ill have to find out when i go back to get my car.

as far as my budget goes... i dont really have one i just want to get some more power out of my car because the Hf engine isnt cutting it.

as far as engines go a b16 would be nice but i dont think i could afford that

thats why im wanting to go with a d series motor

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Paul said:
im not sure of the guys name ill have to find out when i go back to get my car.

as far as my budget goes... i dont really have one i just want to get some more power out of my car because the Hf engine isnt cutting it.

as far as engines go a b16 would be nice but i dont think i could afford that

thats why im wanting to go with a d series motor
Ok...I can even give you a rough estimate as to what youll spend on a good d-series swap... What youll want to do since youll probably want to leave your options open for down the road, tuning wise...Youll want to go OBD1. That means youll need an OBD0-OBD1 harness, there are lots of options, but these guys seem to be one of the best IMO:
http://rywire.com/store/product_info.ph ... 11cb197698
Theres 190 for a good portion of the OBD1 conversion, next youll need the ECU, same place has em:
http://rywire.com/store/product_info.ph ... 11cb197698

So far youre at 365 dollars parts alone on the OBD1 conversion, next well move on the to the "meat and potatoes" for this swap, the motor itself:
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc200 ... =30019toes"

That puts you at 800 dollars for the motor, and OBD1 conversion. When you factor in the transmission, youll want to go with a 90-91 CRX or Civic Si transmission, with the HF trans, you have nothing. Id estimate 200-500 for one in good condition(check the classifieds here, they pop up from time to time).

That puts you at 1300 dollars on the high-end for the bulk of the parts alone, which still doesnt include preventative maintainence things like the timing belt, water pump, clutch and rear main seal(probably around 400 max).

Youre now sitting at close to 2000 dollars parts alone and you should have the parts end of the swap taken care of. You could probably look at spending 500-750 dollars additional to have everything installed, again this is a rough estimate, or at least the things Id get if I was to do this swap. If theres anything Ive left out, anybody, please feel free to add it to this list. Hope this helps :wink:

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Rywire OBD conversion 190, tahts ok....

175 for a p28 though, omg thats alot. if you can snag an auto ecu, they are easily converted to manual and if you ar egoing to chip it they are no diffrerent. they go for like $50-100 around me instead of 175.

Ive got a crapton of 90-91 si transmissions Id love to sell for 500 each, id love to get even 200 for one.

find a z6 locally or somehting, spend 300-400 on it, 300-400 on maintenance bam, you should be clocked in around $1000 driving a sohc vtec crx.

its all baout finding good deals and not over paying for stuff.

definitely DONT put a vtec head on your block, it will not work. you need to swap the pistons to make it work and at that point, find a whole z6 motor (or d15b motor)

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.