Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SiR dropped a valve. I just got it back that day, with Buddyclub cams and valvetrain. $2000 + $350 in labor... is was running just perfect... then on the highway home CRUNCHK! Engine seizes. My number 3 spark plug is smashed to ****. Will post pics soon! :lol:

Some of the valves are obviously toasted. I just hope the cams are ok. For now, I'll be dropping a non-vtec B18 in there. What I need to know is what I need to make this work. ECU, other wiring, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated! After I can drive again with the B18 I'll build up the head again and drop it unto the B18 block later.

Jeff :cry:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Without a doubt, you seem to be taking this rather lightly...

You JUST got these installed, and it dropped a valve, and so you are going to chalk it up to misfortune, and do something else? Sorry, you need to go back to the shop.

It SOUNDS like they may have done something like installed oem keepers in an aftermarket retainer, rather than using the retainers made by that company... Seen it before, but i NEED you to go out to your car, pull off yolur valve cover, and take a very clear photo of the top of any valve retainer... i'd like to see how the keepers are sitting in the retainer.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shall do that for you. I'm taking it lightly now... still in shock. It will be going back to the shop for sure. Right now I just want to get it back on the road. My buddy's buddy and him installed the valves and retainers... and they did use the OEM keepers... I wasnt aware and I guess they weren't either that we had to use aftermarket keepers (I haven't seen any for sale from the manufacturer either though...). After they got everything together we took it to a local performance shop where they adjusted the valve lash, and timing, and just got it running perfect. The problem now is who will take the blame? My buddy feels really bad and is providing the B18 for me to put in there... I really don't think I'll get anything back from the shop we took it to however. :roll:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ouch! Poor SiR...I'd be crying if that happend to me! I hope you have a speedy recovery for the car. That is a lot of money to just go bye bye, but I hope you can get the swap in and make it a beast when it comes alive again.

Gl.

p.s. As much as it suck, I definitly want to see pics!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Post pics of the inside of the combustion chamber to if you've already pulled the head.

A lot of damage like this CAN be fixed (even as bad as it may look), but it'd be cheaper to fix than it would be to buy a new head and start over some times.

Definitely tgrab some pics, and also, i forgot, grab a pic of the valve, and the retainer. Also, have you been able to find the two lost keepers yet to see what damage they sustained?

What exact valvetrain are you using? Buddy Club? Same with the valves?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was buddyclub everything. What I'll be doing is just dropping a stock B18A in there and running with that, and then tearing apart the B16 and seeing what happened.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Dang! That sucks. Does your buddys' buddy work at a shop? I would be very picky about who I let work on my innards. I hope you get back up and going soon.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I get the B18 put in I'm getting it done at the dealership I used to work at, and I'll have a warranty on the work. No more cheaping out. :(

·
Registered
452 Posts
:shock: WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not be taking that lightly as you.
Somethins fishy...

Get the lawyer ready!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It had to have been my buddy's fault who did the valves. He's not taking any heat for it though, and he's not denying it either, so I'm just taking my sweet time paying him for the parts. :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts