Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided to go out to the honda dealership and test drive a ridgeline... It was pretty kool... nice truck with lots of power! Im thinking of purchasing one... but not too sure yet... anyone know anything about these trucks?.. pros and conns?... I seriously just test drove it because I like the look of it and am thinking of getting rid of the pink 88' to have room in my driveway for something different... plus to have a vehicle with more than 2 seats... Any thoughts or advice on this truck?... im not a mechanic or anything so when the saleman was talking up about it, I didnt know what he was saying really... Just smile and Nodd...

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
what do you need a truck for?

why do you WANT a truck?

i sat in the back of one for an extended trip from socal to phoenix towing a racecar. it handled the towing, but not well enough id recommend it. ive heard one other complaint it wasnt even good enough to tow their dirt bikes compared to their other truck.

otherwise, the amenities are fine. i had leg room in the back. the big screen navi is nice.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I wouldn't get it. As much as I love Honda, the truck is too consumer feature based, and truck features are overlooked, imo. I think Toyota really has it down... people who want pickups want one that preforms as a truck. Things like a trunk under the bed arent' really needed.

I also think they are pretty ugly.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tyson said:
what do you need a truck for?

why do you WANT a truck?

i sat in the back of one for an extended trip from socal to phoenix towing a racecar. it handled the towing, but not well enough id recommend it. ive heard one other complaint it wasnt even good enough to tow their dirt bikes compared to their other truck.

otherwise, the amenities are fine. i had leg room in the back. the big screen navi is nice.
Well I Would NEED a truck for nothing I guess, as im not hauling anything. I would WANT one because Kamloops Has a lot of kool backroads that I have been up to with my dads ranger.. but could never make it up them with the rex... also for more space for people and cargo. It was just a thought tho... Its not like im gonna go out and buy one tomorrow... I want a truck I think if I were to get something with more passenger space, as trucks give you so much more options than cars do. Ridgelines probably suck on gas tho, compared to the small CRX... Just wanted to know what everyones take on them was....

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
i dunno what more space a big truck can offer over a sedan if you dont need the bed. im not sure the ridgeline makes a suitable back roader either. maybe get a jeep?

if you need a truck, i would agree, everyone agrees toyota trucks are teh best.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
If thats the intended use, I would look into the Pilot, or possibly the CRV.

Pilots have a TON of room... My fiancee's aunt has one. It held 5 adults, 2 kids, and 10 suitcases. That was a tight squeeze, but who regularly needs that much space? As for off roading... I'd imagine it would deal, not the best in class, but it should handle it. The interior is also very nice quality.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, since I happen to have first hand experience with this topic...

I have had my Ridgline just about 23 months now and it has just over 20,000 miles. At least 15,000 of those miles have been with my 1984 CSP CRX sitting on a Trailex trailer behind it.

It rides like a car, drives like a car and gets gas mileage like a car. I regularly see 18-20 mpg in normal commuting/around town. My high has been nearly 24 mpg and I saw 13 mpg twice while towing into a headwind. My normal towing range is 16-17 mpg @ 70 mph.

For 90% of the people out there who think they need/want a 'truck' the Ridgeline is very nearly perfect. While I would not like to do any heavy towing with it I think if you keep your pulled weight around 4,000 pounds you are not going to say 'I wish I had a 'real' truck'. I'm pulling around 2,800 pounds with the car, trailer and all the crap I carry in the car and I don't even know it is back there. I have a friend who is pulling a heavier Trailex and a Solstice around who couldn't be happier with his decision as well.

The question I would ask is why suffer the penalties of a 'real truck' every day if you don't absolutely, positively have to have a large towing capacity?

Additional note: the in-bed trunk is awsome. I carry EVERYTHING I need to go autocrossing in it. Two tool boxes, a couple of boxes with loose stuff, the umbrella, etc. Everything else fits underneath the rear seat leaving the entire bed open AND the back seat.

Do I sound like I like my Ridgeline? You bet I do.

Do/did people make fun of me because I bought it to tow with? Hell yes. They usually shut the hell up once they have ridden in it and they invariably say, "Gee, this thing does pretty well. I wouldn't have thought so".

I could go on but I think everyone should get the point...

YMMV

Scott

·
Registered
293 Posts
mithuth said:
off roading, occational towing or hauling... Jeep Wrangler, hands down.
yeah yeah, not a lot of interior room to haul stuff inside. simple answer, utility trailer.
yea and that statement isnt completely bias.

:rolleyes1:

i have a 3/4 ton dodge diesel to haul my stuff with. i can pull a house behind me if i want.

for what you want to do i would say look into a pilot or crv

scarponze

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.