Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was looking at getting a newer engine soon. And at first i was thinking about getting a D16Z6 but then i saw the B20. i heard it is better than the d series. but how much HP do they both have kicking out to the wheels. O and plus i heard from the previous owner that B series Blow Up Easily

·
Registered
913 Posts
B-Series DOES NOT blow up easy... my car f*cking lives and breathes at 8K and never chokes or anything!

B20 and B18A/B are different however. Stock redlines for those are like 6500RPM. Guys who don't build them bulletproof and think they can handle 8000RPM causes them to blow up. The sleeves on the B20 are thinner than other blocks, which makes them weaker.

I did alot of research on LS/VTEC and CRVTEC, it is a very capable setup. Theres guys with CRVTEC with stock internals running 13.8-14.0 on sticky tires or slicks.

With a built motor you can easily reach 250WHP and 160Ft/lb with these setups.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That seems to be a very general assumption there that saying that all b's blow up easily....

do a little reading there is a wealth if info on the net......

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=173

here is The article on swapping a b its not a direct swap... you need mounts, linkage, ecu, axles, big hammer etc.. .

a lot better gains from a b than a d ( stock for stock) but you need to decide what your budget is and what you are comfortable with doing..

yeah the b20 crv engine is not bulletproof but it was really never designed to be cranked to 8 grand either.. but it makes TORQUE you dont have to wail on it to get it going.... b16a is popular and reliable.....
b18a integra engine has good torque runs great and is a cheap b swap since you can find the engine here in the USA in running order for little money.....

read it al up and decide on what you want to do and we all will be here to help you out along the way..

·
Registered
62 Posts
i say go with a b16a there are a whole lot of options to do with them and u cant go wrong with the 8200 redline. my buddy has a 89 crx dx with a b16a in it and he can take most cars on the street. if u got alot of money layin around get a a b16b thats my dream engine . the b16 is a very strong motor i suggest staying away from the b20 unless u have alot of money to throw into internals (new sleeves exetra). the b16 is a very easy swap to do but u have to get some ls rotors n calipers n brake to fit the axles and to be able to stop. anoother thing if u go with a dohc motor like the b16, b18 exetra i suggest getting sturt bars right away and if u have the money get some new suspension. ( control arms, use a hf sway bar, struts springs ) but if your crx is a 90-91 si u probly wont need to get (control arms, struts springs) but put a hf sway bar on not matter what.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
why are you telling him to get an HF sway bar? There is no rear sway on an HF, and the front one is smaller than my.......... pinkie finger in diameter. I would upgrade to an Integra front and rear sway bar, of course I would do that before I upped my power levels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i dunno ive run the si and the dx sways the hf was more to my pref but ive never run a integra . also i read somewhere going to have to find it again but out of all the (CRX) FRONT sway bars the hf was the one to go with. I NEver thought about runnin a teg sway im going to have to go to the junk yard and pick my self up one and see how shee feels before i can say anything more on this. i could be full off it thats just what i thought i read i dunno i like the feel of her and as of right now im sticking to her but im going to have to try the teg

·
Registered
119 Posts
i say go with the Bseries theyre proven tough and theres a ton of stuff available. Price seems to be dropping too.

as for the sway bar i always liked using a front one but with a rear one on it makes the back entirely too twitchy for my taste.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 90 Si with a B16 and a I/H/E...this IS the moter we should have got here.
I have taken mine to the rev limiter a couple of times, it is the best choice IMO.

No reliablity problems whatsoever...get the B16, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
D_Britt_57 said:
I have a 90 Si with a B16 and a I/H/E...this IS the moter we should have got here.
I have taken mine to the rev limiter a couple of times, it is the best choice IMO.

No reliablity problems whatsoever...get the B16, you wont regret it.
Honestly I take mine to 8200 ALL the time, doesnt smoke, doesnt sputter, doesnt die. These engines are made to be reliable. :D

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
rex2nr said:
why are you telling him to get an HF sway bar? There is no rear sway on an HF, and the front one is smaller than my.......... pinkie finger in diameter. I would upgrade to an Integra front and rear sway bar, of course I would do that before I upped my power levels.
The front Hf sway bar on a Si with either the stock Si or bigger on the back is killer at the autox. And a CRX with a semi stock B16 isnt that fast. My d series will smoke em :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
daveb91 said:
rex2nr said:
The front Hf sway bar on a Si with either the stock Si or bigger on the back is killer at the autox. And a CRX with a semi stock B16 isnt that fast. My d series will smoke em :lol:
would you count a bone stock B16 with 10lbs of boost semi stock?? :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
daveb91 said:
Um, I dont think so...The difference between my stock d16 and what I have now is insane.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
daveb91 said:
rex2nr said:
interesting... I didn't really think of how it would help snap the rear around

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
D_Britt_57 said:
daveb91 said:
Um, I dont think so...The difference between my stock d16 and what I have now is insane.
Um a little boost on a d series and my buddies B serie CRX is left in the dust. All for less than a B series swap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well Life Stinks right now i started going to work about two nights ago and got fired. but that led me to my decision About my Rex. Im kepping it completly stock even with the D15.. how much will it cost to rebuild the engine or would it be cheaper to buy one off of nippon

·
Registered
452 Posts
CRX90 said:
Well Life Stinks right now i started going to work about two nights ago and got fired. but that led me to my decision About my Rex. Im kepping it completly stock even with the D15.. how much will it cost to rebuild the engine or would it be cheaper to buy one off of nippon
Sorry, to hear bout the job.

Might I suggest buying a Si engine to replace your d15.
Either that or do a mpfi swap along with the Si cam. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Rex can you explain to me what both of those do. i have heard of MPFI but really dont know what it is and also i have never heard of switching the SI
cams :cry:

·
Registered
452 Posts
mpfi= multi point fuel injection
1 injector per cylinder

dpfi= dual point fuel injection
2 injectors, thats it.

The Si cam is more "aggressive".
My guess would be higher lift and longer duration.
Simply put, it will make you more power (trq/hp).

Try these links for more info:

DPFI-MPFI swap information
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=639552

*DX,STD (DPFI) -> Si,HX (MPFI) wiring
http://www.angelfire.com/d20/hcivic88/dx-siwiring.html

Effin Guide to MPFI Swaps
http://effinmotorworks.com/Effin_MPFI_swap.htm

I hope that helps :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts