Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and the rise of another.

I knew this day was coming for a while, but never quite accepted it. I love my CRX dearly, and have very big plans for it, but for some time now I have realized that I needed something much more reliable. I have gotten to the point that I go to fix something and notice 10 other small things wrong that just eat at me. I realized the only way I would be able to get the car to where I wanted it was to completely tear it down and rebuild it from the ground up. The problem with this is that I needed my CRX to get work everyday, and the kind of teardown/rebuild I envision is not something you can do in a weekend. Thus, I had to get a new car.

Fast forward to about a month ago, I graduated college in May and have a great job that pays pretty decent. I bought a 2006 RSX Type S in black. I love black cars (as if you couldn't tell from the pictures. So here are my two cars:

So 2 days ago I finally mustered up the courage to take the tags off of my CRX, turn them into the DMV, and cancel the insurance on the car, all the while being given a look of scorn and disgust from my CRX. It is quite weird, because this will be the first time in over 4 years that I haven't had a road-worthy CRX.

But alas, all is not lost. As I said, I have big plans for this CRX, unless I find one with a cleaner body. I do not foresee this car being on the road any sooner than a year and a half from now. It will be long, hard, and slow, but I am confident that I can do it. I have dreamed about this for so long, but now I actually have the ability, time, and funding to be able to see it through.

Don't worry, I am not selling out, getting out of the game, or leaving. I am going no where, and will certainly be here. As for my plans, I have not quite finalized them, but I have a good idea in mind, I just need to get my goals down on paper. I will start a project thread at some point to document everything as best I can. Thanks for bearing with me through this long post but at least it's not another "I'm selling my CRX and leaving" thread. I figure we've had enough of them. I will be around, and my CRX will be back and better than ever. Later,

- short-A

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
queer.....

hahaha! Just kidding ;) :lol:

Good luck with the rebuild brother! Should come out the other side lookin like a shiny new penny :p And the RSX isn't a bad car at all.... lots of potential there to. And if you ever get wrecked in it, you have the perfect transplant motor 8)

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I made that same decision in September... my car is about 1/3 of the way done. Don't rush anything, take your time, and you can find any advice you need here (like you don't know that, lol). I wish you luck... it's a good experience.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Just curiours, did you check out the 06 Si too? It's a very similar car for less money, and definitely a better performer. I've driven both a bit, my roommate has an 03 Type S and my stepdad has an 06 Si, and I still lean toward the Type S a little because it doesn't look like a spaceship (and its lines hint of CRX!). Anyway, beautiful cars, looks like what I see in front of my apartment!

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
Savage said:
in my eyes the rsx is the new crx.
You need to open your eyes more... :lol: That is blasphemy (sp?)...
The only thing the Crx and the Rsx have in commom is the "X".
If the Rsx is the new Crx, not a good sign since Acura abandoned the RSX months ago...

I myself would have not gotten the RSX, i would have gotten something else. I just have never liked the RSX.

Good luck with the project though! It looks like a clean starting point and should be great when it is finished!!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
There was a big debate on this on HT, here.

I actually do have a strong attachment to this topic, as I may be buying a newer car next year when I get out of school, I've seriously considered getting a Type-S (so the CRX can stay safe in the garage!).

Think of it like this: If you were going to buy a new car right now to replace your CRX, what would you get? There aren't too many close options. Also FWIW, when we go out in the RSX, it seems to get a lot of looks!

Here's what I wrote in the other thread:
downest said:
First off, I don't think we need to list out all the reasons they won't make a light, cheap sports car anymore, it's obvious. I understand what Tyson is saying. I have a 90 Black Si, my roommate has a 03 Black Type S, we park next to each other every day, they do look very similar in body shape. I know everyone is going to flame about that but live with it, compared to every new car on the road, the RSX is the CLOSEST to a CRX. Yes, it's larger, heavier and has a fucking backseat, but it looks very similar.
The RSX does sort of fill the CRX role to some degree in today's market. The fact is, there aren't cars as small as the CRX any more (mostly). The RSX, believe it or not, is a small car these days. It's decently quick for the money too (though the new Si is making it obsolete). Yes, it's full of airbags and ABS systems, power windows and leather, but honestly that's pretty standard on cars today.
The reason the RSX isn't like a CRX isn't all that safety/weight stuff. It's not a sports car, it's more of a low end luxury coupe. If you have ever driven one, and you're used to a CRX, it's a damn brick. The feedback isn't nearly as good, the suspension sucks, and it's just too... bland. The clutch feels like ****, the motor is quiet, and it doesn't make you want to push it around corners. The CRX is an economy car turned sports car, and the RSX is a sports car (teg) turned luxury car, it's meant to grow up with the original integra owners.
Everyone needs to realize that there won't be another CRX that is like the CRX we all love. Honda is big into safety and because of that they won't make a small car without ABS and airbags, so stop bitching about it. The RSX isn't a bad car compared to other things in its class, though I don't like it nearly as much as the CRX, it can be fun to drive. If I had to buy a new car, I would definitely be looking at one. I would consider the 06 Si, I know it's faster, but it's too fugly. My dad has one, I still can't get used to the look of it, I even think the EP3 looks better.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Composimo - You crazy rebuild w/ Iceyman's CRX served as some inspiration for this project, so I guess we're both queers. Just kidding

downset - No I didn't consider the new Si. It came down to the RSX or an STi. I liked the STi, but it was almost 10 grand more than the RSX and I liked the RSX's looks better. I know the new Si is the same or better performance-wise for cheaper than the RSX, but I have always liked the RSX, so I got that.

Robb - I couldn't wait because it's not going to happen. There is no way that Honda would bring out a model to directly compete with a model they already have established (the new Civic Si). I believe that this is another reason that contributed to the RSX demise. As jfrolang said, we see these pictures and hear rumors every year but nothing comes to fruition. And even if it did, most of us would be dissapointed because it would lack power, be too heavy, and probably have not as good handling. Sorry, but I don't see the CRX returning anytime soon, if ever.

azulito - I live with my parents right now, so its theirs, but one bay is mine. The 2 right-hand bays have just junk and stuff in there. The left one is mine, and has my half-torn down 2nd CRX in it (a Rio Red '88 Si) as well as all my tools, compressor, etc.

Everyone else - Thanks for the praise and good luck. I hope this goes well. We'll see...

later,

- short-A

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Robb said:
Camaro
Challenger
Charger
Scirocco

etc etc

I beleive Crx is next.
I concur, but it was also widely thought that with the re-release of the mini cooper that a retroed crx would be soon to follow as well, but it still isnt here...
I guess what convinces me a little more this time is that VW is officially launching a new Scirocco, which I think the crx was in direct competition with as original models :? .... And the sketches and concept photos ive seen of the new scirocco seem to indicate a car that will take the shape of something between a corrado, the new golf, and a CRX.
Also, vdub is also reintroducing the rabbit as well... I think a new CRX is possible, more so now than before. But how well itll compare to the original models will be the question, I just hope it doesnt become hondas answer to the new vw beetle :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.