Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mailman finally came today with something that I've been waiting for for quite a while now. Here's the pics:

Oooooo....ahhhhh!

Hopefully it's the right one for my tranny. As far as I know, the 90-91 Si differential bearings are 35mm I.D. and 72mm O.D.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm almost sure that 90-91 Si tranny has the 40mm.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chet90si said:
I just check with both Majestic and San Leandro Honda, and their websites both list the 90 - 91 Si as having the 35mm bearings. I just checked the size on the bearings that came with my Quaife (it's a used unit), and they are 35mm as well. Majestic lists a bearing stamp number 6207C which matches what is stamped on the bearings that came with my Quaife. Now I can only hope that my tranny was never swapped out with an 89 :p

·
Registered
566 Posts
does quafe sell a diff for a 90-91 b16 tranny? the y1 or whatever. i dont know what mine is exactly cause it doesnt have a serial number on it anymore but i know its a 90-91 cause of the size of the input shaft.

oh and what did that set you back?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GSRCRXsi said:
does quafe sell a diff for a 90-91 b16 tranny? the y1 or whatever. i dont know what mine is exactly cause it doesnt have a serial number on it anymore but i know its a 90-91 cause of the size of the input shaft.
They don't make one for that tranny, however, I've heard that with some modification to the tranny case, you can install the 90 Integra LS QUAIFE. Here's a post with some info to get you started.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=514142

·
Registered
87 Posts
Kinda OT, but does anyone know much about the Honda LSD for the Y1? I was wondering if it is a helical gear type like the Quaife or a clutch type like the Kaas LSD?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as I know, it's helical...but it's not quite as beefy as the quaife unit.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chet90si said:
Well, I cracked the tranny case open...all excited to get this Quaife installed.... and it turns out that you were right. Honda was wrong and Quaife was wrong. Both of them said that 91 CRX Si's use 35mm bearings. My case uses 40mm bearings and it is the original transmission (never opened before, 2 grooves on the input shaft to indicate that it is a 90-91 tranny). How frustrating is that? Anyways, someone told me that KAAZ makes an adapter between the two bearing sizes because they only sell one size of KAAZ for the 88-91 CRX's. I'm going to see if I can pick up one of those adapters...otherwise, I have a QUAIFE for sale that fits a CRX with 35mm bearings on the differential. [email protected]%#!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
You should try to send it back to Quaife since its technically their mess up.

I was almost positive mine was 35mm too, and when we opened up my original stock 90 Si tranny, it was surely the 40mm's. :roll:

Good luck with it...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chet90si said:
You should try to send it back to Quaife since its technically their mess up.

I was almost positive mine was 35mm too, and when we opened up my original stock 90 Si tranny, it was surely the 40mm's. :roll:

Good luck with it...
I can try...but since the unit is used, I doubt Quaife will even entertain the notion of replacing it. Although, they do have a lifetime replacement warranty, so maybe they'll hear me out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh crap! I totally missed that whole part about it being used.

In that case, you should just find a cheapo 35mm tranny to throw it into (even an HF or DX since they're cheaper) and beat the crap out of it! Then when it breaks and you send it back to Quaife, tell them that when it broke it broke some other components in your tranny, and the replacement tranny you got has the 40mm bearing, so they should send you the 40mm LSD. :lol:

It may be a long shot, but it could work!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chet90si said:
In that case, you should just find a cheapo 35mm tranny to throw it into (even an HF or DX since they're cheaper) and beat the crap out of it! Then when it breaks and you send it back to Quaife, tell them that when it broke it broke some other components in your tranny, and the replacement tranny you got has the 40mm bearing, so they should send you the 40mm LSD. :lol:

It may be a long shot, but it could work!
Or...I could just sell it for the amount I got it for and look around for a 40mm Quaife. :) I'll email Quaife first though, and see what they say.

·
Registered
220 Posts
stickershop said:
Or...I could just sell it for the amount I got it for and look around for a 40mm Quaife. :)
Yea...or that. :D

Man I was really tired when I made that post last night. I seem to lose all common sense when I'm drowsy. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts