Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone it's been awhile since I have posted anything about my car so I thought it was time for an update.

As you may remember last time I posted it was about how I had failed a mechanical inspection and needed to fix some things. Since then I have taken the car to a different shop that passed it. That was a huge step because it meant that mechanically the car was suitable to drive. So I went out, got a 24 hour permit and drove the car around. Just to get a feel for it at higher speeds and just to generally appreciate it. 100km later I decided I should do the inevitable and get the second inspection done. This one was a structural integrity inspection. The problem was that I really didn't know what they would be looking for, so I had to turn my keys into them and hope for the best.

Not surprisingly the car failed the structural inspection. However I know knew what was wrong so at least I could attempt to fix the problems. I was in a kind of annoyed disappointed trance while he was explaining what had failed to me. So I really didn't hear and explanation of what he said. I just have the list of what was wrong. Also it was dark so I couldn't check on anything. Here is the list the guy gave me of what needs to be fixed:

1. Tear in metal aprons left & right. ~ Not really sure what these are…
2. Left frame (might not say frame writing is hard to read) rail buckled also at left shock tower. ~ Think that's some part of my car???
3. Replace radiator support lower, left, and right side panels. ~ I kind of figured the previous owner had cheeped out on that. He replaced the old broken radiator with a beat up working one. So I guess he didn't bother replacing the mashed up radiator supports to…
4. Bolts missing left & right fender. ~ Not sure what bolts those are, I will have to check and see.
5. Right quarter panel has rust hole. ~ Not 100% sure where this is but I can check sometime today.

So yea as you can see I have to go over to my car (stored in my uncles garage) and see for myself some of the things on the list.

On a lighter note I took some pictures of my car the day before it snowed here about 2 weeks ago. The pictures turned out really nice so here they are:

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
FooFighter said:
1. Tear in metal aprons left & right. ~ Not really sure what these are…
2. Left frame (might not say frame writing is hard to read) rail buckled also at left shock tower. ~ Think that's some part of my car???
3. Replace radiator support lower, left, and right side panels. ~ I kind of figured the previous owner had cheeped out on that. He replaced the old broken radiator with a beat up working one. So I guess he didn't bother replacing the mashed up radiator supports to…
4. Bolts missing left & right fender. ~ Not sure what bolts those are, I will have to check and see.
5. Right quarter panel has rust hole. ~ Not 100% sure where this is but I can check sometime today.
1. Probably refers to the sides of the engine bay (crumple zones?)

2. Shock towers are the bulges where your shocks mount, the left I assume is the driver's side, so it's right in front of the resistor box.

3. Radiator supports are cheap. I don't know what that means exactly, maybe for the bottom the rubber grommets are dead, so it's moving, and the T bar front/top piece is messed up? Does your hood latch correctly?

4. The fenders have a few visible bolts at the top, under the hood, one in the door jamb, and one at the bottom back of the fender under the mudflap/trim.

5. I see some bubbles in your pic, but it's definitely not a hole. In NH, the rule about rust is that it can't be enough to cut someone or catch clothing on if someone walks by it.

Nice pics btw, I love white writing on tires!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I guess I don't know the whole story, but it would appear that you had some sort of front end collision.
That sucks. If the car has a damaged frame and bending at the shock towers, maybe it isn't worth it. I have no idea what it costs to fix stuff like that.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
You guys have structural inspections?
I mean if it doesnt pass, you cant drive it?
Jezz.....Im begining to like VA inspection more and more as its mostly mechanical. Although they are really picky about the lights lining up, and D.O.T....

But your car does look great....better than mine lol.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
looks like your muffler bot bent as well. . . . .just kiddin'g. . . .I love the look of your car. . . . . That blue looks really nice. . . . . IF that muffler was coming out straight. . . it would be just perfect. . . ( sorry about the hassle i just have this thing for exhausts that do not exit straight out the back. . .

Anyway. . .. my question is. . . . Are thise 2000 Si civic wheels? and the tires. . . What size are they and where did you get them. . . what are they called. .. . I have never really liked white letters on a crx. . .but they look great on that car. . . .i think it is cuz the letters are really small. . . .or did you just pain the letters that were on the blackwalls??? i love those wheels and tires??? interested in a trade for some chrome 17"s ?

please post up a closeup of the wheels. . if you could

Chris

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I know that the work my car needs is going to be a pain in the ass. And yes I know I have already put more money into this car then it is worth. The problem is that I am at that point where I have put in enough money that I can't bail out. No one will buy this car knowing that it needs structural work. So for now I am going to have to fix whats wrong. Oh and also the hood closes fin but it seem like it doesn't lit right... Here look at this picture to see what I mean:

About the wheels and tires. They where pure luck. Got them together from a guy for $350! Yes I got all four wheels and tires for $350! :)
Anyways they are off of a Integra GSR, not sure on the year but I can check.
Either way here are some close up pictures, don't give me hassle for the bumper I know it doesn't fit!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Fat fives came off 1995 GSRs. You can find them all day on ebay. Or, in my garage taking up space. Mine might be a little bent so I don't want to sell them to somebody and then have them find out they suck.
Anyway, look on ebay and plan to pay around $300-$400 depending on condition.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I have a friend (blkjag) who is trying to get rid of a set, took them off the GSR himself and they are pretty nice.

I'm talking to FooFighter now and he sent me some pics, we are both a little stumped trying to locate this frame damage. He definitely needs to clean the engine bay more but it looks fine to me.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
FooFighter said:
No one will buy this car knowing that it needs structural work. So for now I am going to have to fix whats wrong.
I was gently trying to say that this is probably a futile attempt...
The car will always be structurally weak. You'll always have problems with aligning. You'll always have problems while driving her hard. You'll be in a heap of trouble when you end up in a crash. God forbid, it may even -cause- a crash.

You might want to start looking for a new shell. Or, swap over a complete front end.
In the best case, this is going to be a show car that doesn't like to be driven.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
toxiclows said:
Are thise 2000 Si civic wheels?
94-95 Integra GSR Rims

CrxCarl said:
If the car has a damaged frame and bending at the shock towers, maybe it isn't worth it.
They do not have frames, they have a unibody.

SETI20 said:
from the sounds of it it's a wreck recovery.
And it taked a good whack to crumple the car up that far. I doubt you'll ever get it right.
^Yes.
AS Seti has already stated, The car will always be structurally weak. You'll always have problems with aligning, problems while driving her hard and be in trouble when you end up in a crash or even -cause- a crash.

Def should have checked the car out more thouroughly or had someone else check it out for you.
If it were me, cut your losses now, it will NEVER be right, it is just going to be more problems and more $$$.
Part it out completely, look for a better Crx
OR
look for another Crx shell and swap everything you want from this car onto the other one.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
everyone who is saying 'the car will never be right'...I dont know about that.

Ill let everyone in on a little secret. back in 91 my crx was in a major front end wreck. they replaced THE WHOLE FRONT CLIP from the shock towers forward. It was a major repair to say the least. I have no problems with the car since I bought it in the spring of last year, and I dont exactly go easy on it.

Or you could take a look at my ex roomates 2004 STi.....he hit a wall at 50mph, $22,000 in damage. And now the car is A-ok. Once again, everything from the firewall forward was replaced, the feder and rad support, crossmemebers, aprons, etc. My best friend actually did the body/structural work, and it took time, effort, and good equipment, but the car is the same (actually better) then it was before. Now the paint matches.

That being said, I would never drive a car I didnt believe in, in terms of structural stability. But things definitely can be fixed. There may be a point at which its not cost effective though.

Just another viewpoint from someone whose dealt with major repairs.

[email protected]

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:
There may be a point at which its not cost effective though.
My second point.
It may just not be worth it.
With what it would cost to fix it and make it "right", he will prob be better off and it would be more cost effective to just go find another shell or another car altogether. Swap over what parts he wants and sell what he doesn't want.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I agree with Matt, cars can be fixed just fine, I'll also vouch for his CRX and it's autocrossability.

I talked a while with FooFighter last night and looked at a lot of pics of his car, I couldn't find anything wrong as described in the thing he posted. I did notice an intake and a muffler stolen from Boeing.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not sure if this is worth anything but I have had my car inspected by three shops. All knowing that I was not going to pay them to fix anything. All three said the car could be fixed with about $1500. I was looking for the things on that list and couldn't find them. I was looking at just old pictures but you would think that if it was a really bad problem you would be able to see it easily.

Today I am going over to my car to check out the things on the list. I will take allot of pictures and then bring them on here for you guys to see. From there we can decide how bad it really is.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Remember to check those spots for the fender bolts, that can't be argued at least. When you take pictures of the bay for crumpling, remove the overflow reservoir, the intake pipe, and maybe even the battery to give us a good look. Also take some more close ups of the rust in the back (you might want to find out what the exact law about rust in SK is).

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can't believe there are inspections are that this picky about things! Here in Indiana (I know, I know) there are no inspections or emissions tests at all, but I can tell you that if we had inspections like this, there would be a HUGE amount of cars and trucks that would be illegal. Rust being a violation just boggles my mind, it's a 100% cosmetic problem when it's something of this degree, and I can't even imagine how a small spot of rust on a quarter-panel would make a vehicle not safe to drive on the street. It seems to be more of a way of keeping "ugly" vehicles owned by young kids and poor people off the streets than a concern for public safety. Wow.

And yeah, fixing a wrecked car is 100% possible and, if done correctly, it will not lack any of the structural integrity that the car had before the wreck...this is how quality collision repair body shops make their money -- some of the before and after pictures of the work at a good body shop are nothing short of amazing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.