Honda CRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
SETI20 said:
The bigger discs mean that they have to turn more per cycle...giving them more time to cool, and a larger surface area to transfer pad material to.
slotted or blanks? i've gotten a buddy who races tells me he swears by blanks... and would never do anything to harm the integrity of the disc. (ie. slots or cross drilled.) I can see how one wouldn't cross drill, but i think grooved slots are fine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
when i had my accord i was warping the hell out of blank rotors every few months(i like to go deep into my corners)..i upgraded to stillen crossdrilleds which used brembo blanks i believe and axxis pads, had them on for two years and never had a problem with it. other people i knew used powerslots to good effect as well.

in case anyones curious about the rest of the suspension on the 92 accord 4dr, tokico illuminas with eibach springs, eibach front antisway bar, and dcsports front and rear upper strut tower bars,.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,746 Posts
At Seti's suggestion, I read through the articles on stop tech's site. I would suggest them to everyone, they're very informative. There are also a lot of great posts on Honda-Tech, I was reading one the other night advocating the use of blanks over slotted or cross drilled, but of course I can't find it now.
Cross drilled rotors are unneccesary, even car manufacturers who use them admit they are for looks. Cross drilling was a solution to get rid of the gases produced by pads back in the day, materials have changed since then so they are unnecessary. They also eat away at the pads more, and lower the surface area. When you're stopped, with the brakes hot, you are also holding in pockets of hot air. That article on HT had a couple of pics of cracked cross drilled teg rotors (solid discs only though I imagine). Some companies, like power slot, make dimpled rotors for the look of cross drilled without compromising the integrity of the disc. Look at F1 cars, they don't use cross-drilled brakes, and if they don't, chances are street cars don't either.
Slotted rotors are supposed to keep the brakes cleaner by effectively scraping the pads, and they should cool better too since they have a little more surface area. Also, they allow air to flow to the pad while the car is stopped with the brakes on. Plus, IMO, slotted rotors look great, not flashy like Porche cross-drilled dinner plates, but subtle like a sporty Honda should look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,384 Posts
Mine happen to be slotted and perforated.

However, the holes in mine are cast, and not drilled. (wich seems to help alot).

Yes, drilled rotors crack. But in the defense of the manufacturer, you're supposed to replace them more often anyway.

Holes in the discs are also there for weight purposes. I got that off some porsche perfornance page. I'm not sure how much of an advantage it gives the relatively small honda rotors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
SETI20 said:
Yes, drilled rotors crack. But in the defense of the manufacturer, you're supposed to replace them more often anyway.

Holes in the discs are also there for weight purposes. I got that off some porsche perfornance page. I'm not sure how much of an advantage it gives the relatively small honda rotors.
LOL! yes, you save about as much weight as you would switching to titanium lug nuts...

downest said:
Plus, IMO, slotted rotors look great, not flashy like Porche cross-drilled dinner plates, but subtle like a sporty Honda should look.
Agreed! slotted rotors look very clean... much more practical imho...

So wheres the writeup Seti??? i know you must be real hard at work there putting it together for us :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
downest said:
Look at F1 cars, they don't use cross-drilled brakes, and if they don't, chances are street cars don't either.
Thats not a fair comaprison... their brakes work entirely different than a street cars brakes, or even any race car that uses metallic components for their brakes.

As for lightest/tightest...







:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
Bas:... [cue cheesy announcer voice]And they CAN be yours, for the low, low, i am talking LOW price of... [screw the annoucner voice]

:p

cold: need a jacket? heeh. Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of internet bandwagons... see, what happens, is a company will put out an amazing product, and it'll work -great-... then there will be this "one guy", who will come along, and do something retarded, like maybe diassemble the entire caliper before he installs it because he is curious, but maybe he doesn't know that there is a procedure to putting them back together, and maybe he should have just left it alone in the first place. Then he installs it on his car after hacking it back together, and likely tearing an o-ring, and it leaks... imagine that. Then, he goes online, and blasts Wilwood (a company who has been making braking systems for longer than that kid has been alive by the way), and then EVERYBODY thinks that Wilwood is crap cause they red it on da inturnet. The problem, is none of those kids know any better either, nor will they take the time to look into Wilwood as a company to see what the real story is... they just take that one kids word for it.

That scenario happens with countless products out there. Practically the ONLY one that IS true for the most part, is OBX... they suck, stay away... faaaaaar away :lol:

Anyway, i don't know where you read that Wilwoods leak, but i can assure you they don't leak without help, and if they did, Wilwood would stand behind thier product and replace it with a new one. They are a good company like that :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
ComposiMo said:
cold: need a jacket?
Heh, thanks i'm fine for the moment :D (just don't touch)
ComposiMo said:
Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of internet bandwagons... see, what happens, is a company will put out an amazing product, and it'll work -great-... then there will be this "one guy", who will come along, and do something retarded, like maybe diassemble the entire caliper before he installs it because he is curious, but maybe he doesn't know that there is a procedure to putting them back together, and maybe he should have just left it alone in the first place. Then he installs it on his car after hacking it back together, and likely tearing an o-ring, and it leaks... imagine that. Then, he goes online, and blasts Wilwood (a company who has been making braking systems for longer than that kid has been alive by the way), and then EVERYBODY thinks that Wilwood is crap cause they red it on da inturnet. The problem, is none of those kids know any better either, nor will they take the time to look into Wilwood as a company to see what the real story is... they just take that one kids word for it.
You're so right! i've seen it far too many times! Mind you, i'm the kid who reads and then swears against the product due to lack of knowledge/experience/money to try/fail/try/succeed....
ComposiMo said:
That scenario happens with countless products out there. Practically the ONLY one that IS true for the most part, is OBX... they suck, stay away... faaaaaar away :lol:
Heh thats funny, i have a buddy who likes the OBX LSD for the D-Series... Infact, i was soon going to purchase that unit for a JDM D15B swap i was soon undertaking...

See... now do you understand why us kids get confused :?
Cause we really have no idea... i'm thinkin i'll start a new thread regarding the OBX LSD... :lol:
ComposiMo said:
Anyway, i don't know where you read that Wilwoods leak
I read it from Seti around the beginning of this post...
ComposiMo said:
but i can assure you they don't leak without help, and if they did, Wilwood would stand behind thier product and replace it with a new one. They are a good company like that :)
Thats what i like to hear... they were my weapon of choice until i read they leaked and had dust boot issues...

thanks for clearning that up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,746 Posts
I've talked to 2 guys who are very active with road racing/autoX and very knowledgeable.
Is Tyson the other? I haven't personally talken to Kam (Driven), but I make a point of reading every tech thing he posts, he's very serious about the car, and actually had experience, and tested stuff, unlike 90% of the posters on HT.

SETI20 wrote:
Yes, drilled rotors crack. But in the defense of the manufacturer, you're supposed to replace them more often anyway.

Holes in the discs are also there for weight purposes. I got that off some porsche perfornance page. I'm not sure how much of an advantage it gives the relatively small honda rotors.

LOL! yes, you save about as much weight as you would switching to titanium lug nuts...
Actually, this is the reason motorcycles have holes in the discs, it has to do with rotational inertia. I would imagine you aren't losing braking power because there is more than enough area already. I went through every page on stop tech last night and read them, again, I recommend it to anyone (thanks Bas). After you read all the stuff, go to the products section, they make cross drilled rotors, so there must be an advantage.
And what's wrong with racing lugnuts?!? I'm saving almost a pound with mine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
downest said:
Actually, this is the reason motorcycles have holes in the discs, it has to do with rotational inertia. I would imagine you aren't losing braking power because there is more than enough area already. I went through every page on stop tech last night and read them, again, I recommend it to anyone (thanks Bas). After you read all the stuff, go to the products section, they make cross drilled rotors, so there must be an advantage.
And what's wrong with racing lugnuts?!? I'm saving almost a pound with mine!
Sorry i wasn't trying to be serious... but still, i don't think anyone could justify to me that weight reduction is a reason to switch to crossdrilled...

and i would run the lightest lugnuts i found too! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
downest said:
I was kind of joking about the lugnuts. I have some but I only bought them for security.
Oh i wasn't joking... i think lighter lugnuts are more practical than holes in your brakes... at the end of the day, people want all the edge they can get...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
And here is an even bigger problem that happens... people with experience posting their opinions of a product... hehe.

Well i know of Driven and Tyson... i've seen some of their posts and what-not... neat guys.

But i'll take their words with a grain of salt as well, because i have a different experience with Wilwood products. Maybe they were too quick to bash? what about proper assembly of the items?

And then you can always fall back on the "well no one, even big companies are perfect" argument :lol:

So anyway, they can be on the anti-Wilwood bandwagon, and i'll be on the pro-wilwood bandwagon.

I'm quite positive that if all their crap leaked, then they likely wouldn't have been a braking components company for this long, and some very large racing teams wouldn't be using their braking systems... ya think? :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,746 Posts
ComposiMo said:
And here is an even bigger problem that happens... people with experience posting their opinions of a product... hehe.

Well i know of Driven and Tyson... i've seen some of their posts and what-not... neat guys.

But i'll take their words with a grain of salt as well, because i have a different experience with Wilwood products. Maybe they were too quick to bash? what about proper assembly of the items?

And then you can always fall back on the "well no one, even big companies are perfect" argument :lol:

So anyway, they can be on the anti-Wilwood bandwagon, and i'll be on the pro-wilwood bandwagon.

I'm quite positive that if all their crap leaked, then they likely wouldn't have been a braking components company for this long, and some very large racing teams wouldn't be using their braking systems... ya think? :wink:
I don't know if either one of those guys were for or against Wilwoods. I was just saying that thy have very informative posts. And I think they are advocates of just keeping your stock brakes, saying the Si brakes are good enough for the job. I remember Driven did have Wilwoods on his CRX at one point, though I don't remember what happened to them.
 
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top