Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here's the Story:

So I drove my honda to school today, since I rarely drive it and I like to keep it running once in awhile.

The piston rings are shot so the car smokes (burns oil) like a diesel truck, when I rev high or I'm accelerating hard, but it doenst smoke too bad at idle or normal driving conditions.

So I pull up to the last street and I'm waiting to turn left, when a cop comes in the other direction, then suddenly stops in the middle of the street, and turns on his right blinker. So I already know I'm going to get pulled over at this point, so I turn and pull over as soon as he turns on his lights.

The conversation goes as follows:

--"License and Registration please"

"Here's my license, I dont have any of my other paperwork with me"

--"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No"

--"Your exhaust"

"Yeah... whats wrong with it?"

--"Your exhaust..."

"Yeah..." (long pause) "like emissions?"

--"Yeah, theres too much crap coming out"

"Yeah, cars older than 1995 are emissions exempt, so I thought it was okay"

--"Well.. your exhaust is too loud anyway, I shouldnt be able to hear your engine running"

Well this proves the whole theory of profiling. My Honda isn't half as loud as my Cobalt, and I have been driving my Balt for two years, and have NEVER been pulled over in it.

So I ended up getting 4 tickets. One for Unregistered Vehicle, One for Uninsured Vehicle, One for Improper License Plates, and one for Unnecesary Smoke (WTF?!).

The guy was definitely being a dick, has anyone EVER heard of a ticket for Unnecessary Smoke???

They also Impounded my car.

·
Registered
20,383 Posts
HackAbuse said:
So I ended up getting 4 tickets. One for Unregistered Vehicle, One for Uninsured Vehicle, One for Improper License Plates, and one for Unnecesary Smoke (WTF?!).

azulito said:
So was it uninsured, unregistered, and not inspected? Or you just forgot them at home?
Since he got a ticket for improper license plates, sounds like he just threw some old tags on it and drove it?

If that is the case.....

Really can't say i agree with you, sounds like you were driving an unregistered, uninsured car with bogus plates?
At least you didn't get in any sort of accident, that would have been a larger issue with the lack of registration/insurance on your car.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The exhaust thing isnt exactly bogus.. if the car is smoking in excess they can pull you over and give you a fix it ticket or at least a warning beucase it can cause unneccisary road hazard for other drivers. That really does suck, however if the car was in that kind of condition it probably would have been better to be drive your cobalt and just run the engine on the rex a couple times a month while you could fix it *shrugs*

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was "Unnecessary Smoke"
The car def smokes blue, but not enough to make a cloud, it does slightly haze the road behind me though. The guy was seriously just trying to be an ass, and I know it, because I live in a small town and I know people that know him.

I drive the car around a few times a month, and this was one of the times I drove it around to keep it running.

·
Registered
778 Posts
HackAbuse said:

Here's the Story:

So I drove my honda to school today, since I rarely drive it and I like to keep it running once in awhile.

The piston rings are shot so the car smokes (burns oil) like a diesel truck, when I rev high or I'm accelerating hard, but it doenst smoke too bad at idle or normal driving conditions.

So I pull up to the last street and I'm waiting to turn left, when a cop comes in the other direction, then suddenly stops in the middle of the street, and turns on his right blinker. So I already know I'm going to get pulled over at this point, so I turn and pull over as soon as he turns on his lights.

The conversation goes as follows:

--"License and Registration please"

"Here's my license, I dont have any of my other paperwork with me"

--"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No"

--"Your exhaust"

"Yeah... whats wrong with it?"

--"Your exhaust..."

"Yeah..." (long pause) "like emissions?"

--"Yeah, theres too much crap coming out"

"Yeah, cars older than 1995 are emissions exempt, so I thought it was okay"

--"Well.. your exhaust is too loud anyway, I shouldnt be able to hear your engine running"

Well this proves the whole theory of profiling. My Honda isn't half as loud as my Cobalt, and I have been driving my Balt for two years, and have NEVER been pulled over in it.

The guy was definitely being a dick, has anyone EVER heard of a ticket for Unnecessary Smoke???

Well dick or not, the cop was doing his job...which I don't agree with in the first place. Government is to blame here. You did no wrong what so ever but were punished because you didn't pay your 'dues' to the government. And it should be legal to drive uninsured. You just should be liable in court to pay for an accident if you caused it. A loan could be taken out if something ever happened. But that's up to an individual to weigh the risk, not the government to force it upon us all.

Anyway, you got @$$ raped. I've been there, and I despise most all cops (espeically the military police). Mark is a rare exception. Every experience I've had with cops has been something along these lines. When I've needed a cop to help me or protect me...they were never to be found. But sure enough when I'm not bothering anybody they are on my butt demanding identification, searches and of course money. Makes me feel so much safer.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Dren you said " And it should be legal to drive uninsured. You just should be liable in court to pay for an accident if you caused it. A loan could be taken out if something ever happened. But that's up to an individual to weigh the risk, not the government to force it upon us all."

But what happens when someone who is poor causes a wreck and I end up with $300,000 worth of medical expenses. What bank is gonna loan someone living off of welfare $300,000. And then when the guy can't pay up, so who gets stuck with the bill.......me?

·
Registered
20,383 Posts
Dren said:
it should be legal to drive uninsured. You just should be liable in court to pay for an accident if you caused it. A loan could be taken out if something ever happened. But that's up to an individual to weigh the risk, not the government to force it upon us all.
That makes lots of sense.. :rolleyes1:
Except for the fact that if you get hit by someone that has no insurance and can't pay for what THEY caused. Good idea. :?

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I know theres a way in RI where you can insure yourself.......pretty much you put somehting up as collateral that is worth more then teh minimum insurance limits (like a house or something). then you dont have to pay insurance premiums.

The downside to that is that if you are in an accident, have to pay, and cant come up with the cash, well, there goes your house or whatvere.

[email protected]

·
Registered
109 Posts
In WV, insurance might as well be optional. I HAVE to carry uninsured and underinsured on my policy. Personally, I like MI's policy. Which is no fault insurance. You pay for your own regardless. Makes you be a little more careful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.