Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me explane my situation . right now im debateing on either buying a 1990 crx hf in decent driving condition for $1000 or going out and getting a 92 s13 for about $3500 . Id like to go with the crx but im not sure how much the full motor swap will cost and what im going to need for it . what im asking is for those of you who are experienced with this is a rough guess of how much it will cost and what problems ill be running into for this swap .

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
we are going to need more info than that. . .. . Are you planning to do the swap your self or are you going to have to pay a shop to put it in....
A shop that does this sort of work is going to be able to give you a better price than a regular mechanic who has never done one before and is billing by the hour... the links abouve should have gave you some rough prices. . .. .but there is alot more. . . . .mounts, bolts nuts,. fluids, timing belt tensioner waterpump plugs wires cap rotor filters. . . . etc etc etc ...... you can see that it adds up quick. . . .and alot of people milk it out over a few months and do what they can as money comes along. ..

this would put the car out of comission for awhile if it was your daily driver. .

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well im looking to buy the car with the intent to make it both my autoX and daily driver. right now i only have about 4000 to spend and from what ive seen the crx has a very impressive platform , the work i would do myself . althow i am 18 , ive helped my friends countless times on there cars .

thanks for the links thow , they put me at a good starting point for my decision

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Baker and I will both tell you that the B16 is not a very good investment for a swap. Also, if you autocross, you'll be moved into a higher class with a swap, you might be better off getting an A6, rebuilding it to spec and getting some bolt ons and suspension. With 4 grand you could make a killer STS2 or CSP car, and if you play it right you'd have money left over for tires down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it that noticeable of a difference moving from a b16 to a d16 ? from my research a b16 can do a 15 quarter miles. my other intrest's in doing this swap is also because i have a friend with a sentra who is about to go neovvl , and i would like to have something that could keep up for a decent price

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
A B16 in a CRX Si should run around 15.0 in the quarter. A stock D16A6 Si runs about 16. The B16A gives you an enormous top-end increase, but you'll lose some midrange compared to the D16. I'm no autox expert, but that makes me think B16's are not well suited to dodging cones.

They're still good engines though, I have one going in my car soon. VTEC is just way too much fun. :p

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't forget that the HF has TINY brakes. Shoot. I did a ZC swap into an HF and I had brake fade on the street! I would never try to auto-x or do any kind of real aggressive driving in a swapped HF.

What I'm saying is, don't forget you'll need to upgrade your brakes if you really care about performance as opposed to an Si where you'll really only have to equip it with some aggressive pads.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
glagola1 said:
Don't forget that the HF has TINY brakes. Shoot. I did a ZC swap into an HF and I had brake fade on the street! I would never try to auto-x or do any kind of real aggressive driving in a swapped HF.

What I'm saying is, don't forget you'll need to upgrade your brakes if you really care about performance as opposed to an Si where you'll really only have to equip it with some aggressive pads.
I've said this a lot before...
just because the car is quicker to accelerate, it DOESN'T NEED bigger brakes. Personally I would upgrade to Si brakes, but beyond that is more than you need on the street, especially with a stock Si motor. Get some Si fronts with decent pads, you'll be all set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.