Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to graduate from college soon, and I think its time I reward myself with something new. I've owned nothing but CRXs during my driving career (and thats not necessarily a bad thing), but its time for a change. Its pretty weird knowing that features such as power locks/windows/mirrors and keyless entry, that most people consider "normal", seem like high-class "baller" items to me. :lol:

Anyways, if any of you guys can recall from my "Lemans pictures" thread from a few months back, I was pretty much sold on the new VW GTIs. However, after careful consideration, I've opened the doors back up for a few other cars. After noticing that the MKV GTIs are heading towards the same direction (unreliable) as the MKIVs, I've moved the 2007 WRX Wagon to the top of my list. Also, on the list are: the new Civic Si, a (used) TSX, and the Mazdaspeed 3.

I'd love to stay with the Honda family, I really would...its just that I'm so into a hatch or wagon. My gf and I are planning to move to California for a year after we graduate, and the extra cargo room over the sedan or coupe would be nice for the drive. The Civic Si and TSX are on my list not b/c they suit my needs, but because its just SO hard to walk away from Honda reliability. I don't know how I feel about that though...I mean, theres just GOT to be another car out there as reliable as a Honda right?

I guess I'm just looking for other suggestions or input on any of the cars listed above. Has anyone owned any of them? Have any friends/family that own them? How are they holding up?

The car currently at the top (in the color I want):

·
Registered
190 Posts
I test drove one a few months back and I've gotta say, fun car. If it's something you like, you could definetly do a lot worse. OTOH, you could get a freakishly sweet CRX for the same cash outlay.

·
Registered
473 Posts
CRX cargo space and teaching the woman to drive stick FTW!

Seriously though, I do like the WRX's but I think you might well get tired of that extra storage space if you felt like ragging on it.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys!

tubafreak said:
I test drove one a few months back and I've gotta say, fun car. If it's something you like, you could definetly do a lot worse. OTOH, you could get a freakishly sweet CRX for the same cash outlay.
Yea, I test drove a 2004 WRX Wagon (automatic :x) yesterday, and I was quite impressed. The only thing that caught me off-guard was the turning radius! It wasn't bad by any means, but having driven nothing but CRXs my whole life, I guess everything will pale in comparison! :)

As far as me needing another CRX...I won't. :) I'll only be getting rid of my daily driver CRX (keep an eye out in the classifieds in the next few months ;)), but my Rio Red Si was my first car ever, and is going to be a track queen for the rest of her life. I could never, EVER get rid of that car (unlike fisher :doh: ). <~~~ sorry, had to....

JustAnotherRex said:
CRX cargo space and teaching the woman to drive stick FTW!

Seriously though, I do like the WRX's but I think you might well get tired of that extra storage space if you felt like ragging on it.
Haha, I actually told her outright when I first got with her a few years back that I couldn't date anyone who couldn't drive a stick. She currently drives a 1991 Civic Sedan 5-speed. EF FTW!

And I don't really plan on ragging the new car since I'll still have the Si for the track. I'll probably add a few minor mods like bolt-ons and shift stabilizer bushings, but the current plan is to stick with stock reliability.

Krix said:
Honda reliability...pretty cheap...lots of cargo room....FIT.
Wow, its actually really funny that you suggested the Fit, b/c the gf is in love with them. Her parents are going to be buying her a new car in the next year, and the Fit is at the top of her list (along with the Toyota Yaris :umno: ). As for me, the Fit just doesn't have enough power. I know I could easily slap on a turbo, etc... but then "stock reliability" goes straight out the window.

Keep the suggestions coming guys! This is officially going to be the biggest purchase of my life, so I want as much input as possible!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I've now been out of school for 2 years and have been working steady and the CRX isn't so reliable anymore. So... What to do, what to do!

A dealership near me has a new Civic SI that I took for a rip the other day and wow, it was fun. However when we started talking numbers it gets a bit stupid.

It came out to about $32,000cdn after tax...

from XE.com.
32,000.00 CAD= 27,292.25 USD
1 CAD = 0.852883 USD 1 USD = 1.17249 CAD

It was going to cost like $400+ a month to LEASE!! AND since its the SI they have NO discounts and NO even financing is like 8%.

ps. Mazdaspeed 3 is even more...

Also don't go buy a car that you can barely afford. Tons of the guys I went to school with did that and a couple didn't end up staying at the jobs they were at. They ended up having to sell the car at a huge loss just to pay the rent.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow, I've driven all the cars mentioned in the thread so far (except the NSX of course, no one would let a 19 year old drive an NSX without a credit check first).

I found that any Impreza-based car really needs a stick. The shift logic in the slushbox is way too slow to have any real fun (comparatively anyway).

The Yaris is far and away the worst car I've ever had the displeasure of operating. The steering feel is like a badly calibrated arcade driving game. The rest of the controls also feel as though the aim was to make driving feel like an very slow video game. Also, the guages are in the middle, that's just weird and/or dangerous, I don't want to have to look halfway across my dash to check my speed.

The Fit is great. If the dealership had any in stock when I was shopping for a car for my sister and I (in addition to the CRX) I would have bought one. It's close to the CRX in a lot of things, it's fuel efficient, fun to drive, affordable, and very good at holding cargo. Also, it's a Honda, so it'll hold it's value wonderfully, and you can always do a K-swap if it's too slow for you (I think, it'd be pretty tight).

Drive a lot of cars, make a decision on what you want (what you really want), and take no prisoners when you're talking about price. Then, when you've got your new ride, post it up here.

Also, never give up your CRX, ever.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I just got a rabbit, really like it. 5 cylinder, good interior, a little more conservative than the gti. It would up being cheaper than the hondas or toyota (matrix) with the base package of features. And it came with a guitar.

I also looked hard at the fit, it's really nice (I've never seen such a versatile interior), but it just didn't have the leg room I need.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can lease a V6 Mazda 6 around here for about $260 per month. I've been driving one as my winter car for two years - it's pretty good but the turning radius is really bad - like 40+ feet or something.

Drives nice - don't bother with the 4 cylnder though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
chet90si said:
I'm about to graduate from college soon, and I think its time I reward myself with something new. I've owned nothing but CRXs during my driving career (and thats not necessarily a bad thing), but its time for a change. Its pretty weird knowing that features such as power locks/windows/mirrors and keyless entry, that most people consider "normal", seem like high-class "baller" items to me. :lol:
I did pretty much the same thing back in September. I've been done with school a little over a year now and decided to reward myself with a newer car. I ended up going with the Mercedes c230 sport coupe with the 2.3 kompressor engine and six speed trans. Fun car with a ton of features. It is amazing how easily I can entertain myself with the one touch power windows, opening and closing the windows and sunroof with just the key fob, and headlight washers. I guess driving a Rex for the past seven years can do that to a guy.

If I would of purchased any other car it definately would of been a WRX wagon. Rumor is that the new styling is getting ready to come out that sounds a lot better than the current generation if you can wait a bit.

It is just sad thinking of an amazing turbo awd car with a slushbox....

Oh and I still have my 88 Rio Red Si...."from my cold, dead hands".

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope I didn't give off the impression that I'd be getting any of these cars in an automatic. I would NEVER willingly take a slushbox over a manual...its just all that the dealership had when I wanted to take a test drive.

Josh, that Mercedes sounds nice! I can't wait to be mesmerized by little features just like you were...ha.

Andy, I've actually driven my friends mom's V6 Mazda 6, and its a powerful car for sure. But like you said, that turning radius kills me! :? Did you happen to test drive a Mazda 3 when you bought your car? If so, what'd you think? That may be the next car I take for a drive.

·
Registered
473 Posts
tubafreak said:
The Yaris is far and away the worst car I've ever had the displeasure of operating. The steering feel is like a badly calibrated arcade driving game. The rest of the controls also feel as though the aim was to make driving feel like an very slow video game. Also, the guages are in the middle, that's just weird and/or dangerous, I don't want to have to look halfway across my dash to check my speed.

Drive a lot of cars, make a decision on what you want (what you really want), and take no prisoners when you're talking about price. Then, when you've got your new ride, post it up here.

Also, never give up your CRX, ever.
All great advice. I have to agree on the Yaris being one of the worst vehicles ever made. The saddest part is my idiot of a girlfriend went to a stealership and bought one that day right off the lot with the lump sum of the car on payments for the rest of eternity. Definitely leads into the bit about driving a lot of cars, as she now doesn't exactly enjoy the steering and wind-sail effects compared with that of my CRX. Yaris (2 dr anyway) = complete junk.

Chet - Definitely good you told the woman to drive stick or take a walk, I hate letting the g/f drive, she can but seeing the tach go to 5 grand in reverse.. well yeah.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Impreza FTW.....I strongly advise against a new one, we got ours for 14k 2 years old with sub 40k on it.

Also, as you have said, the auto pales in comparison to the 5 speed. The AWD system operates completely differently.

scoobie power!

plus you can reflash the WRX for 79 bucks and get another 15-20hp for free (youll run just about a 14 flat)

The turning radius gets way better if you can break the rear tires loose and just kind of slide around the rear end...... :twisted:

[email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice car Matt! I've always had a soft-spot for the bug eyes...
Is that a wagon or sedan?

I actually have been looking at used ones, but me being as picky as I am, I've had to rule most of them out. You see, I really want a wagon, and I also REALLY want a (non-aftermarket) sunroof...unfortunately, that combination was only offered by Subaru on the 06-07 models... :x

Anyhow, you can bet that I'm keeping my eyes open for a used, low-mileage '06 Limited Wagon...they're just so hard to come by though! :(

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
battle waqon my friend, stage 1 mattminerDOTcom ecu reflash.
suspension in the works.

Im slowly transitioning to the subie world (not to say Im ever gettign rid of my crx)

im surprised youve never seen my favorite shot of my outcast crx

The bugeyes are ok, but i love the morette/prodrive headlight conversion

but yeah you are kind of limited. I don teven miss the sunroof to be honest, but if its something you really want then dont ocmpromise.

We had a very hard time finding an acceptable WRX wagon....our price range put us square in the 02/03 models and Rachel would only accept dark silver(doesnt exist), black, or WRB for colors. She also required a manual transmission and a wagon (which a ton of them were autos out there). Most people with that combination werent exactly selling their cars with <40k miles on them. Luckily I had a acquaintance at a dealership and a guy came in trading in the impreza on a B9 Tribeca, I actually got to meet him. Older dude, just him and his wife. Perfect!

Car has a chip on the roof spoiler, small dent in a door, chip on a door, and a slight discoloration the size of a quarter on the passenger seat. We defintely scored big time.

Good choice for a car to look for though! :D

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.