Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't really understand why it is soo bad... I have seen cars where people haven't changed their oil for years and the car was driven regularly. The oil just looked pitch black and was stinky and not really flowing smooth when it drained..... I don't know how you make oil become solid.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
bobski said:
toxiclows said:
aside from the factory Honda filter.?
Didn't Honda switch over to fram manufactured filters? I go with purolator as well.
Yep. Unless you go with the S2000 filter, which is made by either toyo roki or filtech, and its the same size as the old honda filters. Personally I use Mobil 1 or Wix.

·
Registered
293 Posts
lol do we really want to get into another oil filter decision... i lost 3 motors to fram filters... will never use one again.. that includes a factory honda one. unless its a 2sk filter. i use either napa gold 1334 filters which are made by wix. or mitsubishi md352626 oil filters which are also made by wix.

but as far as that bmw motor.. ive seen very similar results in the chrysler 2.7 and 3.5 motors...

scarponze

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Umm..wow that bimmer owner needs a good kick in the head!
Agreed on that fram concern,I'll never put one on my car either!
I also get vehicle turn ins where people dont change oil when they should.
Yeesh!
The part that gets my buns steamed is when customers bring a vehicle in and claim that the engine "lacks power",or "the engine knocks",and they want a new engine under the warranty!:shock:
Well we politely write them up and check the history and find out the last oil change was 10K ago!
We have to tell them,by Ford policy that the engine isnt covered.
Why? Lack of maintenance!
Duh!

Akirarex:Although it is possible to go many miles on oil without changing.I have seen more than a dozen cars at the dealer with seized or damaged engines because of sheer laziness!
Oil sludges because of dirt accumulation and starts to resemble a thick black paste.As you can imagine this paste doesnt flow very well and can block the oil ports and lead to engine failure.
Mind you this occurs over a decent period of time,but you get the idea.
Also the oil breaks down over time loses its viscosity properties.
Basically what I'm saying is........Just do your basic maintenance and your car SHOULD last a long time!
If I were the writer on that joe customer I would have wrote him a customer pay estimate and told him that the lack of maintenance was the engines demise not a fault of the company.
Well its not like this guy lacks money.He's a lawyer for petes sake! :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
wow, what a dumbass. reminds me of the car my ma toasted by letting the oil service go...but the car was old ('87 chevy cav wagon) so it was going toward the end of it's life anyway.

btw, are FRAMs oil filters really that bad? I have one on my accord and change oil regularly (about 5000-7500 miles with full synthetic mobil 1)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yes, fram filters ARE that bad, fram uses cardboard endcaps on their filters, whereas a mobil 1, purolator, or wix filter uses a steel endcap. When oil saturates the cardboard, it causes it to break up and send pieces of cardboard all throughout your motor. I think you know what happens next...

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
bobski said:
So wait... you're spending ~$20 on oil and decide to cut corners with the filter to save a buck or two?
Have a look at one of the studies for yourself.
took a look at that linked page...had no idea frams were that badly constructed. i'll be changing brands next time I change the oil. thx for the info.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't forget Bob is the Oil Guy for all you ever wanted to know about oil. I am thinking I may get a couple of analyses done as they can tell you a lot about your engine's condition and the change interval that is best for your car. "Every 3000 miles" can be overkill.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.