Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to time up my B16. It's missing the lower cover, which is what the factory manual says to use as a reference point with the crank pulley. Is there some mark on the block that's in roughly the right spot?

My other option is to try and unearth my dwell tach, and hook that up. Does anyone know the best connection point for the signal wire since the igniter is internal?

·
Registered
58 Posts
if your doing the cam timing then yes there is a mark on the block. I have done many timing belts and this is the only mark i've ever used, its a little arrow or marking of somesort but its definately there, maybe grab a flashlight and clean up the area free of dirt and grease to get a better view.

if you' setting your ignition timing and don't have a lower cover then you can use this same marking on the block as your TDC marker.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey Joel can you imagine a small, flat, edged pebble flying up and getting in between the belt and the sprocket behind the crank pulley?

I can, and it would sound something like crunch rip snap flop flop bang. :wink:

I get freaked out as is when I see no upper timing belt cover but you've got the lower missing? Man, you better not drive down any gravel roads.

-Heu

·
Registered
154 Posts
dohcrxl said:
Hey Joel can you imagine a small, flat, edged pebble flying up and getting in between the belt and the sprocket behind the crank pulley?

I can, and it would sound something like crunch rip snap flop flop bang. :wink:

I get freaked out as is when I see no upper timing belt cover but you've got the lower missing? Man, you better not drive down any gravel roads.

-Heu
I've got no lower cover on my B18, i was gonna tkae off the top cover too

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HackAbuse said:
When I bought my car, It didn't come with a cover, so, theres really not much I can do, short of going out and buying one.

I rarely drive the car anyway
Same thing here. My car didn't have the cover on when it came, and picking up just the cover isn't all that easy (not many good junkyards here).

I timed my cams a long time ago, so I'm looking to time up the ignition timing (as clarification). Anyone ever hooked up a dwell tachometer to a second gen?

·
Registered
191 Posts
You should be able to pull the covers off of any D-series engine (SOHC anyway) at the junkyard, and there's almost always plenty of those.

·
Registered
289 Posts
tubafreak said:
You should be able to pull the covers off of any D-series engine (SOHC anyway) at the junkyard, and there's almost always plenty of those.
D16 timing belt covers will fit B16? It doesn't look like it to me.

Just order a lower cover ... $34 from hondautomotiveparts for the lower cover for a '99 civic Si.

·
Registered
551 Posts
take off the crank pulley, there is a dot on the timing gear, align that with the arrow on your oil punp and it will all work out fine then make sure the lines that on the sides of cam gears are lined up with the head!!!

hope that helps you
cody_

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.