Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put every one of the 192,000 miles currently on my '89 DX, and I can't remember ever changing the timing belt! Surely it must have been changed at some point, but it has been a while. Therefore I have two questions.

1) If the timing belt snaps before I get around to changing it, what evils are likely to afflict my engine?

2) Assuming the belt survives until I can crawl under the car, what other things should I replace or adjust while I'm down there?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
1. Best case scenario, you'll have to replace a few valves. Worst case, you need a whole new engine.

2. Water pump is the main thing. You can also consider replacing the oil pump, timing belt tensioner, and alternator belt.

192k is a very long time for an original timing belt. Get that thing changed soon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Change that sucker out as soon as possible. While you're at it you'll want to adjust the valve lash. You might as well, you'll have the valve cover off and need the engine at TDC, so change the belt and then take some time to get everything nice and tight.

·
Registered
779 Posts
1. Best case, nothing will happen. All the valves make thru and the pistons are smiley face free. More then likely not gonna happen tho. Most common, valves need replacing, pistons made it thru. Worst case, pistons are heavily damaged and the valves are bent. Not worth the engine to even fix it.

2. Most common is water pump. But with that kind of mileage you might wanna do a tensioner aswell. If you really wanna go the extra mile you redo all the seals on that side of the engine along with an oil pump, but if you don't have a leak I wouldn't bother.

Don't worry if the T-belt snaps. These engines are very common and fairly cheap (even when in good shape) and you can always upgrade for cheap too. They are also very easy to change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.