Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The timing belt on my 87 CRX slides off the pulleys. I just put a new engine in my 87 CRX. Its running good except for a timing belt issue. I followed the directions from the Chiltons manual. I turned the crankshaft pulley back 1/4 turn counterclockwise, then torqued the tension bolt to 33lbs. I ruined the old timing cover and now a new one. I've tried two timing belts, the one that came with the rebuilt engine and a new one. I left the timing cover off this last time and tried again, but I watched the belt just slide about 1/4 of the way out. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
sounds like somewhere the pulleys / idlers are out of alignment.

possibly the shims at the crank gear are in the wrong order or backwards? make sure every piece was put back together correctly. check for any damage / bent pieces or anything that could throw the belt off track.

If the belt is only moving off the pulley about a 1/ 4 of the way off like you said, it probably is a small subtle spacing issue.

good luck. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.