Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy Q (i think) i need some tires, stock 14 inchers, dont really wanna upgrade to a bigger rim right now, future yes, now no. its got 185/60/14s now. Im sure something bigger will fit im just curious as to what anyone elses suggestion is.....Just wanna go wider, not taller...possible? i dont know how much playing room there is in there tire size wise...so let me know oh masters of the CRX :lol:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,562 Posts
Unfortunately there is no perfect solution here, but you can get close.

205/55-14 would be ideal, it's very close to the overall stock diameter, but there are no street tires available in that size, it's all competition tires.

195/55-14 is wider than stock, and a tiny bit shorter (-1.3%) for better gearing. However, there is only one tire available in this size that I know of: Dunlop SP Sport 8000, $94 each at Tire Rack.

195/60-14 is your best choice. It's a bit taller (+2%) than stock, but gives you a lot more options, including the Yokohama AVS ES 100 and Falken Azenis RT-615.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
jfrolang said:
Unfortunately there is no perfect solution here, but you can get close.

205/55-14 would be ideal, it's very close to the overall stock diameter, but there are no street tires available in that size, it's all competition tires.

195/55-14 is wider than stock, and a tiny bit shorter (-1.3%) for better gearing. However, there is only one tire available in this size that I know of: Dunlop SP Sport 8000, $94 each at Tire Rack.

195/60-14 is your best choice. It's a bit taller (+2%) than stock, but gives you a lot more options, including the Yokohama AVS ES 100 and Falken Azenis RT-615.
I have a question, sorry to thread jack.

I have some 16's with 205/55/r16 Falken rubber from my cobalt that i'm not using.

Will the 205/55/16s work all right on a CRX?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,562 Posts
HackAbuse said:
Will the 205/55/16s work all right on a CRX?
The short answer is no. They're significantly larger than stock, more than 2 inches. It will throw the speedo and odometer off by 10% and you'll face inevitable rubbing. You'd also have more than an inch of additional ride height.

The wheels are interchangeable between your cobalt and CRX, they share the same lug pattern and the offset is good too. You just can't have the same tires for each car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
jfrolang said:
HackAbuse said:
Will the 205/55/16s work all right on a CRX?
The short answer is no. They're significantly larger than stock, more than 2 inches. It will throw the speedo and odometer off by 10% and you'll face inevitable rubbing. You'd also have more than an inch of additional ride height.

The wheels are interchangeable between your cobalt and CRX, they share the same lug pattern and the offset is good too. You just can't have the same tires for each car.
So, it's not even worth a try??? I ate riding on these damn steelies, and I don't want to buy new tires

What size tire do you suggest for a 16" rim?

So 205-55-16 wont even work if I drive the car VERY rarely, just until i get money for new tires
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,562 Posts
As a very short term solution I think it would be ok, you just probably wouldn't be able to turn the wheel the whole way. I also hope your CRX isn't lowered or you're not going anywhere. Those tires are bigger than most 18s would be.

Ideal size for 16s is 215/40-16, though it's a somewhat expensive and less common size. Most people with 16s use 205/40-16.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
jfrolang said:
As a very short term solution I think it would be ok, you just probably wouldn't be able to turn the wheel the whole way. I also hope your CRX isn't lowered or you're not going anywhere. Those tires are bigger than most 18s would be.
Damn, it's got eibach sportlines.

I should just jack it up and throw em on to test anyway. I've got air tools, it should take no time
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top