Honda CRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to give a try at some autocross here in Portland, OR.

I have a set of, I thought, HF wheels that say on them "13X5J". The tires on it are 185/70 13 but they were just used as daily drivers.

Can I use them for autocross with decent tires? They are VERY light, about 1/2 the weight of my 17" Enkei's.
What tire size should I use, and if the wheels are no good what should I get. It doesnt have to look pretty, will use them just for track and see if I like it.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
14 or 15 inch wheels are the best in my opinion. You also aren't going to have much of a selection of tires for the 13s, the only decent 13" tire I know if is Sumitomo (don't know the model though), my friend runs them on his RX7. Bext thing to do is get some 14s and some Falken Azenis (I know I'm a little biased :wink: ). 15's are ok too, but 14" tires can be found cheap. What's done to your car? If you have a swap or extensive mods, and you want to be competitive, you might even consider some slicks.

Welcome to the addiction of autocross, almost as bad as CRX addiction!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what 14" wheels should I get? At the yard?
I am modified with a b16 swap and other stuff. It doesn't matter to me if I am competitive except wtih myself. I have learned many years ago, that enjoying the journey is more important than the goal. You spend a lot more time there. :wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
the best size rim to run in autox on a crx is a 13 ,those rims will work but you would be better off finding something wider atleast 13j5.5 or bigger ,vw have size on the early models ,13x7-13x9 would be the best but if you're just starting out use what you have .and there are alot of tires for autox in 13 ,if you run a 13x5 try and find a 185 60 13 toyo ra1 ori think yokohama has an 032 in the same size . have fun

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
cagedrex said:
the best size rim to run in autox on a crx is a 13 ,those rims will work but you would be better off finding something wider atleast 13j5.5 or bigger ,vw have size on the early models ,13x7-13x9 would be the best but if you're just starting out use what you have .and there are alot of tires for autox in 13 ,if you run a 13x5 try and find a 185 60 13 toyo ra1 ori think yokohama has an 032 in the same size . have fun
Since he has a b16, I would recommend NOT using a 13 inch wheel unless he really likes to do burnouts, not to mention bouncing off the rev limiter all day long. I've always run on 14's, with the exception of 13x7.5" slicks, and I get those for near free, otherwise I would probably get something larger.

Rich, any 14's will do, lighter is better. I personally like my HX wheels, but good luck finding an affordable set. They are 14x5.5 and weight between 11 and 12 lbs each. You could probably get some CRX Si wheels, 14x5 and somewhere around 17 or 18 lbs, pretty cheap and relatively easy to find. Almost any OEM 4-lug wheel will work (not some older preludes), and there are some Miata wheels that fit as well, but I don't know their sizes. You could also pick up some Rota, Flik, or other replica type wheel if you want to go with 15s. You really might want to consider 15s if you have a lot of power. I know driving Sinful on 15's in the AutoX resulted in smoked tires at VTEC crossover.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've heard great things about the Kuhmo V710's. They're a race tire, so you probably wont need a set if youre just starting out, but they do make them in one 13 size and then several for each up from there. I'd go with either 13's or 14's for a slick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts