Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the question of my CRX. Of course I KNOW what the answer will be from this site. It's more of a rhetorical question really. See I have always lusted after a CRX SE so the chance came up to buy one and I did. I loved it, I massaged it, I stroked it. It was my little pet. Then I took it to racing school and it was damn fast. The Koni yellows with GC's which murdered me on the street finally made sense, the race bucket was pure comfort at 100mph, the KAAZ LSD pulling me tighter up on the banking out of the hairpin. The sound, oh gawd the sound, it made me drunk with joy as it blasted off the walls of the front straight. Then the brakes failed on the last lap, full on fade, foot to the floor, holy %&*! fade into a tire barrier. I only dented the front fender slightly and it pulled out my fender liner, but it broke my heart too. I could have made the corner...............

Fast forward a few months, a summer spent in a black car with no A/C and black interior. Oil leaks, noisy exhaust, ultra stiff ride that mashed my head into the headliner at the thought of a bump. No racing. On to the classifieds, no hits, on to ebay...WHAMMO!! it sells!!! I'm happy, yet sad but at least I can move on, maybe I'll get a rear drive car.

But no. The buyer renegs on me, I am happy about this for some reson, it's as if the hand of god reached down and sid NO!!! You must own a CRX!!!

Now I'm going mental, I had put the car in storage so it wouldn't tempt me, so much for that. I bought a full 5 lug setup with sets of wheels(street, track) and have already comitted to doing athe same racing school again this year. It's as if I'm powerless against this car, all my money, all my time(I'm married with 2 kids) get sucked in by this car.

What to do, what to do?

My mind is racing at the moment, I want to shorten my front Konis, get a Quife steering rack, install the 5 lug setup(Type R brakes), build a half cage, etc.

I believe I am crazy. CRX crazy.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
If it really bothers you that much, but a/c back in ... it doesn't weigh THAT much afterall.. also, you could put a slightly quieter muffler on it, and since it takes all of about 10 minutes of time to remove and swap the suspension out with another setup, then you have a set of street shocks/springs, and a set for the track that you swap in only when you're going to track days.... easy!

·
Registered
374 Posts
you know what somewhere between the love and hate relationship lies a lesson. but i say put it back together to be like it used to be when you'r exhaust was loud because of the power and the harsh suspension was so that you could take corners at 60. just get a van for the kids and then you'll love your crx again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have a van, and a 93 Civic for a daily so I'm not forced to drive the CRX everyday. MY problem lies in the temptation to mod, and then race. It's as if the car sitting there just entices me everyday. Taunting me with every good deal on parts, it's like last week. There was an RSX Type S swap and a set of Hasport mounts for an EF all local to me for a smokin' deal. I would sell my damn soul for that swap. If it wasn't for my wife holding me back(because we really don't have the money to spend) It would's be in my garage and I'd be up to my ass in alligators. I'm sure we all go through this. It's not that I don't love the car, it's just a constant source of frustration because I don't have the time or money to do what I want with it...RIGHT NOW!
If I realized that Rome wasn't built in a day, and that I CAN mod slowly, it would probably be much more enjoyable.

I'm so sure that all of us have these issues, you want a car, you buy it, you mod it, then you sell it, or am I the only one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i feel ya i think thee some kind of obsessive behavior that follows shortly after buying a rex. im in college and kinda tight on money but for some reason i still find a way to buy new parts for the thing. but i enjoy it sooo.....

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think that there is a hidden positive in buying parts / upgrading. To me, as long as I can do something to my crx, I love the car. If I did not have anything to do to it (or to look forward to doing something), I would want a new / other car. And that car would probably be way more expensive then my crx + all the parts.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I envy Mark, content to drive a stock car and enjoy it for what it is. An amazing car. I however have a sickness that doesn't allow me to drive stock vehicles. One thing though is that I don't WANT to quit racing, I just need to tone it down. They don't call it the go-fast crackpipe for nothing. My car on the track is nothing short of astonishing. With a stock D16A6 I passed 3 944 turbos, an STi, Civic Si's like they were pylons, etc, etc. I also managed to stay in front of a badass race prepped M3. Granted it's a smallish track, but wow, can this thing corner.

I believe in my ranting I may have answered my own question. Keep it for track days when I can exploit the car, I don't NEED to race every weekend, but a few times a year and I'm happy, the wife is happy and the car is happy.
Belive me when I say I love this car, but only when I'm in the mood for it, I do believe the CRX is staying and it will recieve the 5-lug conversion, the half-cage, the contnuous modding, but I must have patience. I know, by gawd I know, that if I sell this car I will regret it BIG TIME. So for now it stays.............we'll see how I feel tomorrow.
8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New cars really don't interest me much, even to mod. Except maybe a Fit with no engine so I can put in a K20. For the most part, other than Porsches and Ferraris, the new stuff is too heavy and where's my double wishbones? I like the new Oddessey for the family, or the new Civic Si as a daily, but for racing and blasting down a smooth, winding country road, no airbags, no ABS, no Traction control, no high end sound system, no leather, just a pure drivers car. My CRX, or my brothers 84 Porsche 944.
Light weight, manual steering, and low CG own.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Masta said:
New cars really don't interest me much, even to mod. Except maybe a Fit with no engine so I can put in a K20. For the most part, other than Porsches and Ferraris, the new stuff is too heavy and where's my double wishbones? I like the new Oddessey for the family, or the new Civic Si as a daily, but for racing and blasting down a smooth, winding country road, no airbags, no ABS, no Traction control, no high end sound system, no leather, just a pure drivers car. My CRX, or my brothers 84 Porsche 944.
Light weight, manual steering, and low CG own.
The new Si is... ok. I really liked it at first, I test drove it with a bunch of other similar new cars, then I got to drive it back to back with the CRX when my stepdad bought one to replace his EM1 (bad move). I think that as new cars go, that I've driven, the Si is near the top. Obviously it's not going to compete with a Porsche or something, but for it's range not much comes close to it, except maybe a Miata (my gender prohibits me from owning a Miata).
My CRX will leave the Si standing still on twisty roads. With the stock A6, I could hang with the EM1 on the highway, and it's about the same or better with the mini-me and the new Si. I made a goal over the summer when I got my new CRX to have it out corner, out brake, and out accelerate the Si before snow in the Northeast. I realised pretty quickly that all I needed to do was make some more power...

Here's my driveway at my parents' house:

I have more fun driving with them than I do with some of my friends ;)

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Sorry I got off-topic!

KEEP THE CRX! My stepdad started his Honda loving a long time ago with his CRX, it's the only car he's traded in that he misses. He always tells me about buying it, he was all set to go with a new 93 GSR, and saw a used CRX come in to the dealer, asked if he could take it for a ride while he was waiting for a credit check. A five minute drive and he was hooked on it! He still misses it, even though I think he's a little hard to admit it since I have one, but I know he likes being in/driving my car!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
downest said:
...but for it's range not much comes close to it, except maybe a Miata (my gender prohibits me from owning a Miata).
I dunno, the new miata is pretty badass, I think it has way more of a muscle look to it vs. previous models. What do you think?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
rex2nr said:
How many times have we all been in this same situation? I've lost count in my .... 7 yrs of owning rexes
Not me, brother.
I never waiver, I never stray.

I once considered selling one of my rexes, but I'll never be without at least one.

That said, mine are bone stock (save for the audio systems), both of them run great and both have a/c. I have no intentions on taking mine to a track.

I "may" do some minor mods later, but nothing earth-shattering and it's really just a whim that may or may not happen.

If your CRX is a dedicated race car and you are getting out of racing, I say sell it.

And then buy a decent stock(ish) one that is a pleasure, and not a chore, to drive on a daily basis.
Just because I considered selling mine, didn't mean I wasn't looking for another :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure I'd be in the same boat. If I sold mine, I'd just go out and look for a more heavily modded car. So I now have the 5-lug setup with 2 sets of wheels, ITR wheels for the street and Team Dynamics for the track. 3 sets of spare rotors, 5 sets of pads, steel braided lines, ARP extended wheel studs and some tuner lugs.
The half cage is ready for pickup, so my JDM backseat is for sale.

I've also found a set of B-series mounts really cheap, I'd like to do a B20Z non-vtec swap. Torque is king.

So looks like I'm on the path to hell once again. If I finish all the work and then put it up for sale again, please stop me.

D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.