Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've nearly finished building up my dx with parts from my od wrecked si. THe one thing that it is lacking, that I miss is the sunroof. Perhaps in time I will get use to not having it, but right now i miss it.
So, I am trying to decide if it is worth it to remove the roof skin and sunroof from the si and save it for a later-date install on the dx. Can people please inform me with details of the process of removing the skin? And can you also please express your opinion on the matter?

The car will continue to be a fun to drive commuter/autox car for a while. Though eventually it would be awesome to have it as a dedicated track car, or just a mroe hardcore street/road racer car.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I miss my Si's sunroof soo much now that i only have my HF, but really.. it would be sooo much work to do... and if you get an aftermarket they WILL LEAK. So i personally am sticking with my regular ol metal roof.

-H

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I don't see how it would leak if he just swapped the roof skin from the Si. It would be the same as doing a glasstop, which I haven't heard a lot of people complain about.
You're going to want that roof in there when you're on the way to Cali. Personally, I will only have an Si as my daily because of the sunroof.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard to swap it out, I believe the spot welds are under the drip rails. Just remove those and drill out the welds. Then just weld up those holes when you swap roofs.

Its not a small task, but it's do-able.

·
Registered
428 Posts
One thing I like better about the 1g Si over the 2g Si (the whole list is a mile long of course, this is just one item) is that the moonroof is much larger and further forward. The 2g Si moonroof just seems dinky and misplaced in comparison.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i think you could do the sunroof swap and i think its totally worth it. im about to do the same to my dx. let me know how it goes cuz if you need i could email you detailed picture instructions on how to

·
Registered
711 Posts
i love my sunroof...
i wanted a glassroof, but lack of sunroof is my deciding factor leading me to keep my sunroof.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wish we could trade. I'm so tall I'd rather have a DX roof on my Si for head/helmet clearance. I do like the sunroof though, and Im going to like it better when I remove my rusty panel and install my NIB OEM Sunroof panel I just got......

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NIB!? Sweet!
I'd swap my roof skins right now if I had a welder or knew someone who did and could weld sheetmetal. but alas I do not. i'm thinking about taking the si roof of my parts car anyway and just saving it for later.
Hmmmmm

·
Registered
734 Posts
There's no way I'd bother. I used to have an Si and now have a DX, but I wouldn't ever go through the trouble for the sunroof. A glasstop, I could see, because unlike the Si it's difficult to get the whole car...I'd rather swap my engine into an Si than swap the roof panel over.

I do kinda miss my Integra glass moonroof, so much cooler than the CRX...you could put the sliding solid shade over it, open it so the glass was exposed, or rock it fully opened -- AND it actually slid back into the roof, instead of popping up first and then hanging out there on top of the roof all goofy-looking.

I would use a CRX sunroof if I had one, but I would never go through the work it would take to swap it onto my Si -- especially if you consider painting it to match (assuming different colors), hell just get a nice Si shell and go from there...it's one of those things you need to decide before you start a project, much like people that do an auto-manual swap rather than just starting with the right car in the first place.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went the other way. I wrecked my si. So i got a dx automatic for 200 bucks with a perfect rust free body. I've since gutted both cars and replaced everything on the dx with the si component. I just need to put the brakes in tomorrow, then swap on the sway bars. its basically an si without a sunroof now. And the paint is faded on the top anyway, so i don't care too much. In fact, I swapped the hatch lid over to get the rear wiper so it is white while my car is red. If I put the roof on all i need to do is paint my hood white and i can have a sweet ducati-esque paint scheme!!!
Hahaha.

But really, how much work can it be? Its already gutted, Its just a couple dozen holes to drill then reweld, right?

·
Registered
177 Posts
jmart said:
NIB!? Sweet!
I'd swap my roof skins right now if I had a welder or knew someone who did and could weld sheetmetal. but alas I do not. i'm thinking about taking the si roof of my parts car anyway and just saving it for later.
Hmmmmm
hehe, I am a certified Tig welder and I have a nice portable machine in my garage. But I've welded Honda body metal before, and it sucks. I tried to plug my old 1G CRX Si sunroof with a DX roof plug(I cut a plug out of a DX roof, and I spot welded it in place). I must have overheated it, becuase damn, did it warp :shock:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Masta, you aren't located anywhere near boston are you????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.