Honda CRX Forum banner
141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
If you look on youtube, there are a couple of great videos from YoungStatic on the swap, which answer most of the questions. In one of them, he got a pnp adaptor harness from a guy on FB, but I tracked him down and didn't get a response. So I went with CJ's (he calls it CJS, which I'm sure irritates Carlos a bit :lol: ), which in the other video YS shows how he got to work - he solders the necessary 7 wires from CJ's kit, where I would think that repinning would probably be a safer option. Everything looks fairly easy. Also, there's an old thread on HT that goes through the entire wiring swap out if you're looking to torture yourself.

http://www.marklamond.co.uk/products/s2 ... ss/vss.htm

On the link above, Mark Lamond goes through the VSS requirements and install/wiring. He used to have much more related to the S2K conversion, as he's the OG, but looks like a lot of content is not there any more.

As with everything, it looks easy until you do it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Thanks for the link. :)b Nothing directly on point, but hopefully will help.

Had to order the top of the vss and pigtails - can't hook up the piggies now, probably bent vss prongs, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Zoom Engineering rear mirror came in last night, which looks pretty cool, and will give me more side to side visibility than the stock mirror without the weirdness of the broadway or all view mirrors. And it's carbon fiber, who could say no?

Spare cluster harness came in also, but didn't have time to have a look.

Impulse buy also on ebay - ZC LHD glass headlights from Europe. Couldn't help myself, and would love good HIDs on this car at some point. Can always resell if idea turns sour.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Here's Qube's preview of how my cluster will look. They could only do the rpm color blocking in '000s, so I make redline at 7k (zc). Looking forward to having it light up, not so looking forward to the install. :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Small update time.

plug at top of VSS wasn't accepting the male end, so bought a new top portion and slapped it on. Now all set for swapping the whole thing out and then wire up from the pigtails.

Also cracked open the headlights this morning. Easy as pie - 220 degrees for 7 mins, screwdriver to one corner once I took them out, and viola, open headlights, ready for cheap ebay plastic covers. Will probably Lamin-X them too, to keep the plastic from oxidizing and protect the investment. Still need to buy the ebay projectors. AP2 is already on the way back from Qube, should be here soon.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tommy said:
Also cracked open the headlights this morning. Easy as pie - 220 degrees for 7 mins, screwdriver to one corner once I took them out, and viola, open headlights
It really is easier than expected. Plus you get that nice, 30 year old burnt silicone smell in your kitchen!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Mmmm, yes, think I'll be eating out tonight. :D

Ordered the ebay projectors earlier today; think I might use the heat gun approach on those instead of sticking them in the oven. Don't want to have to trust their quality with heat everywhere. The backs of these headlights are truly very scary, but as long as the covers work, they backs can just go to recycling.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Dropped off the headlights at Lightwerkz today; they did the retrofit on my EP3, and those have been great for me. And, since I'm all thumbs, better to leave it to someone who won't fuck it up. He showed me the plastic lenses on the ZC backings - fairly big trench all along the top, but they'll silicone the hell out of it after doing the normal butyl on the entire headlight cover. Went with Morimoto's fairly new M LED projectors - look good, and will be much easier wiring than HIDS (have D2S 4.0s on the EP3). And extended E46 shrounds, plus a little customization, since I can't have them be too normal.

Will be 4-8 weeks til done, which is fine, as I have so much more to do. Got the AP2 cluster back from Qube already too. Just need to find time to get this all done; hoping for a late April first drive. :burnout:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I don't necessarily think it should be closed at this time. His build can live on as is his memory. I don't know how I would do it, but I would like to acquire his car and keep it from getting in the wrong hands. Unless of course, one of his nephews would take ownership.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
crxgator said:
I don't know how I would do it, but I would like to acquire his car and keep it from getting in the wrong hands.
I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I'm sure there are people in front of me who would be much more deserving of it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
AttackCRX said:
crxgator said:
The build will continue.
Dude that's awesome! How did you go about getting it? How'd it drive?
An old CRX buddy from back in the day helped me out. His wife was on her way to GA with some family to pick up a car. She also has a CRX, and she offered to pick it up in NJ and bring it to NC. I met her about an hour from my house last night and drove it back.

It will need some buttoning up for sure. It sputters at times and the idle is very wonky. I'll have my work cut out for me shortly.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
So, I'm trying my best to keep what he would have done, as well as fix issues with the car. Now, reviewing his posts throughout the years, he admitted some items he left on as a momento of his ricerness.

So this past week, I removed the wiring and gauges. I don't like wiring when I don't know what was done. So the entire stereo / amp / Valentine 1 and power door locks with alarm were removed. I installed an aftermarket ignition switch harness to start from fresh.

The car really needs to be cleaned. Today, I used two clay bars to get it semi decent. However, the front bumper really needs to be redone, as does lining up a bunch of panels, fix the sunroof, and leaks. I removed the red door stickers as I'm going to prep it to get the Midori Green (or at least close to it) wrap that he wanted, which I would think would be decent. However, I think I would change the Volks out for the white RNRs.

The car has an idle problem, sputters, and is running pretty rich. I'm trying to get the idle under control so I can take it to a tuner. I changed the spark plug wires, plugs, cleaned the IACV, and deleted the EVAP canister, purge valve and changed the vacuum lines. Still having idle issues. I plan on swapping the exhaust to something more tame like an HKS.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts