Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a ticket about 3 weeks ago on the way to work for speeding. State Police officer, a young guy, was pretty polite but my speed was high enough that I didn't have much chance of a warning. So, I got a ticket. No big deal. It was in the county where I live, and since I work an hour away from home, there's usually no chance of me making it to the courthouse. But, I took a few vacation days from work last week, so on Friday I went in to pay it. The "court appearance" date is today, December 5...so I only had a few days left to get it paid (I got the ticket on November 13, it seems like I've gotten more time than that in the past).

So, I hit up the ATM for some cash, go to the courthouse, find the clerk's office and show them my ticket. When she tried to look it up, she realized that the officer hadn't turned it in yet...4 days before the court appearance date. Great. So, she tells me I can call back the following week once he's turned it in to get the number that I would need to be able to pay it online. That works, because there's so way I can get there while I'm working.

I kinda forgot about calling yesterday since I was busy, so I just called today. The court appearance date written on the ticket said 4pm, so I figured I could get it paid in the morning before it became a big deal. I give the lady on the phone my name and DOB and all that...turns out it's still not in their system because he still hasn't turned them in. She had me give her the officer's ID number from the ticket (since his name was totally illegible), and after calling the prosecutor's office she said that there are apparently a bunch of tickets that this Officer Flores hasn't turned in yet. That part sucks, because if there are a bunch it seems to me that they will get ahold of him and let him know that he needs to turn them in today.

She said if he turns them in today, the prosecutor will give everyone an extension to get it paid so that people who can't get in and/or don't want to pay the EIGHT DOLLAR "convenience fee" for paying it online (scam) can have more than an hour or two to get the ticket paid. If he doesn't get it in by 4pm, according to her, it will be dropped and I won't have to pay it.

My question is this: shouldn't he have to turn them in BEFORE the date on the ticket (like, the day before at the latest)? Is the "deadline" for the ticket being filed (and charges being dropped if it isn't) actually the exact time on the ticket, or should the charges be dropped if he doesn't have it in by that day?

I would think that he shouldn't be allowed to wait until 5 minutes before the "court appearance" date/time to turn in a stack of tickets (and I doubt if anyone at the courthouse appreciates that too much, either). I just wonder if, technically, it's already too late since it's the day of the court appearance, the charges should already be dropped, and they are just acting like if they get it before 4:00 people still have to pay them, or if he really DOES have until the very last minute to get them in.

As far as him not getting it turned in on time, does that ever actually happen (especially with what is apparently several tickets), or will the prosecutor or clerk just call his superior and make sure that he gets the tickets turned in so they can get their money? I would think that if it was just one random ticket it might fall through the cracks, but a number of them won't fail to make it there. I just wonder if I should already be in the clear...Mark?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
man I'd be pissed off if I were you...hope you're in the clear. I'd not pay and fight it just on the fact that this officer turns his tickets in last minute.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just called them back because it's 4:00 here...she checked on it for me and said that he had JUST turned them in "a few minutes ago". She told me that they were not very happy with this dude because it takes them awhile to get them all processed before people can pay them. So, I now have to pay it online and pay an extra 8 bucks (doing it over the phone is an extra 11 bucks) since I have to work when they are open and it's way too far to go on my lunch break or anything like that. So, this guy basically screwed everyone over, including all the people at the courthouse who have to deal with this mess...but I didn't get out of paying it, that's for sure. I really don't care that I have to pay it, I pretty much counted on that part...but man, what a dick. If I had the day off today I would have just showed up at my court appearance time and let everyone know that it hadn't even been filed yet...ugh. At least the woman in the court clerk's office was pleasant to deal with.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
man that sucks, tickets never are a walk in the park.

at least it's settled and not in limbo anymore, too bad to have to pay even more $$

my philosophy is I speed most places, and I'll probably get a ticket every couple years, but ah well, small price to pay for the freedom of driving anywhere. I just try to keep a low profile, no flashy rims or other add-ons.

here's hoping you don't get pulled over for awhile...! :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
how comes u have to go to court for speeding??

like do u actually have to show up and plead? here, if we get pulled over and we get a ticket, they mail us out a proper copy of the infringement notice and we pay it within a certain time and thats it.

We would only have to go to court if the were driving over the legal drinking limit or speeding more than 30k's over i think.

so how comes?? is that just how it is there?

we can pay over the net or at any post office or licensing department and theres no extra charges unless overdue.

but dude that does blow bubbles... whats with it not being processed yet?? thats stupid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
Simmmy said:
how comes u have to go to court for speeding??

like do u actually have to show up and plead? here, if we get pulled over and we get a ticket, they mail us out a proper copy of the infringement notice and we pay it within a certain time and thats it.

We would only have to go to court if the were driving over the legal drinking limit or speeding more than 30k's over i think.

so how comes?? is that just how it is there?
You don't always have to go to court, you can often just pay it (ie plead guilty).

But, you can go to court on any charge. It's your right.
oic, yeh that makes plenty of sense.
i think maybe here we just wouldnt bother haha.. usually we're done by radar with photo evidence anyways so theres no real escape.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i just got my first ticket for speeding and for not having insurancde since i have not gotten around to getting some. and in the ticket it says i have to go to court or esle... since i have never been in trouble with the law i dont know what to expect. plus i have not gotten anythin in the mail and its already been like a week and a half. can anyone give any comments on this?? thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark,

First off, I paid it online yesterday at like 4:30, so this is kind of a moot point now anyway (or can it be dropped after I've already paid?)...but there's not a range of dates on the ticket, just a "court appearance" date. You either pay before that date/time, or show up in court. Like I said, if I happened to have the day off yesterday, I would have gone to court just to make it clear what happened. It would have been great to call him out in front of the judge. I did notice another thing -- when you pay in person or mail in a cashier's check, you sign the back of the ticket to indicate your plea. I always plead nolo contendre rather than pleading guilty...but paying online, you don't get a choice. Another thing to ask the prosecutor, I guess.

Usually there's more time between when you get the ticket and the court/due date, like well over a month. 3 weeks was shorter than usual. There's always a delay from when you get the ticket to when it gets filed and you are able to pay it, the time it takes the officer to turn it in. Obviously, it's usually a lot shorter of a delay than the entire length of time between the infraction date and the court date.

I should at least call and bitch about having to pay that 8 bucks and see what they have to say, I guess. I didn't take the day off just to try to pay the ticket, but I can make it sound that way to them.

Thanks for everyone'e input on this. I guess I was about 10 minutes away from not paying a dime...now that would have been a good story! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.