Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, attempted to change my tranny fluid on Saturday and I couldn't get the damn filler bolt off. I know that bolt is weak and I didn't want to snap it but I put all my strength in it with good leverage under the car and it wouldn't turn. I know another way to fill the tranny by pullin the speedo cable out but I don't wanna go to that length and end up creating another problem with that. I've also heard of another way to fill the tranny from under the starter but I looked and couldn't see where..... Anyone have some ideas?

I'm replacin the fluid cuz the tranny has been whining for the last few weeks, figure that would be the next best step....

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Either way you have to remove the filler bolt. You know there's enough oil in there when it starts coming out the hole. I've heard of people using the breather hole too, but keep trying that filler.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
dont just pull or push on it. get a box end wrench on it and wrap your hand around it. use your other hand and tap your hand on the wrench. Or what i do is use a rubber mallet i have to hit the wrench...works every time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
black_krix_si said:
dont just pull or push on it. get a box end wrench on it and wrap your hand around it. use your other hand and tap your hand on the wrench. Or what i do is use a rubber mallet i have to hit the wrench...works every time.
you probably are already doing this but if you pull the passanger side wheel off boom its right there in front of you. rubber mallets own

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i pulled the wheel and put the front end on jack stands to get under the car nice and good. i got better leverage on the wrench from under the car. i also used a rubber mallot on the wrench. i just can't believe the damn thing is on so tight....

anyone have ideas on pulling the speedo cable to fill?

·
Registered
633 Posts
By far the eaisest way I've found to fill is to remove the reverse switch and just dump 2 qts into it (provided it's empty first) I use a crows foot, a 10 in extension and a long funel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The reverse switch is an electrical switch on your manual transmission to signal your reverse (backup) lights to come on when you put it into the reverse gear.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
i had tranny trouble once....I shouldve known better when I saw that adams apple...... :shock:

back on topic, its got a rubbe rboot and 2 wires coming out of it. its on the front top of the transmission.

[email protected]

·
Registered
633 Posts
dohcya said:
the speedo cable?
Did the switch scare ya off? lol
It's close to being under the distribuor in front of the starter, the 2 wires loop down in front some.

The speedo part removal usualy a bitch cause most of them are stuck in there really bad. Don't pry and break off that little tab that the where the retaining part goes. Soak it in pb blaster or wd-40 and you might be able to get it off with a rag and vise-grips.
Someone had a post about this with pics but I cant find it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.