Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what's up with my car. I'll try to explain it the best I can...

When I'm driving (more noticably in lower gears) at a steady pace, and then let off the gas without touching the clutch, it sort of bounces front to back. It's like my car is lurching. And when I put the gas back on, it does the same thing. It's like my car is trying to keep up with a loose differential. Now I know NOTHING about what goes on inside the tranny. It's all some magical mystery to me. But it seems like it's getting a little worse over time.

I have an all new suspension....shocks, springs, bushings, tie rods, ball-joints, and even axles. The problem was there before and after the suspension work. I replaced the front and rear motor mounts and also got ES bushing inserts for those, because I thought it was the engine twisting forward and back. That's what it feels like to me.

Also if I jack the car up and try to rotate either one of the front wheels, it seems like there is a lot of play in it before the axle engages on the tranny side (or inside the tranny). If the car is on the ground with the e-brake off, I can rock the car back and forth a good bit before it catches. Like I said, just seems like a lot of play, and I don't remember it being like this always.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Does it do it no matter what gear you are in?

Does it do it when your car is in neutral and the clutch is engaged? (no load on the differential, but load on the clutch and the transmission.) Rev the engine up and down like that and see if it does it. That will help you start to isolate the problem to the differential if that is the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't do it when revving in neutral. It does it in all gears to some extent, although it's easier to notice when in lower gears.

The part that bothers me is when I'm accelerating. Especially if I really get on it, I'm bouncing in 1st and 2nd. I'm pretty sure that's not normal. I can imagine it looks pretty funny to anybody watching.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stick! Actually, I should mention now too...

Whenever I start in 1st gear, it shakes when the clutch starts to engage. And if I'm in stop and go traffic (like I am almost every day), and I am rolling slow in neutral, switch to first and let out the clutch pedal, it shakes violently. It's really bad when rolling. And sometimes it's really bad from a stop. I was just thinking that was my flywheel that maybe didn't get resurfaced correctly when I changed the clutch last year. It's pretty bad. Is it possible that this problem is the differential as well?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It could be the differential problem, since it's only happening when you are moving, or starting to move from a standstill. I would inspect everything carefully, since you're going to have the tranny off anyways.

Did they replace the throw out bearing when they did the clutch? What kind of clutch did you have installed?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Dren said:
time for .... an LSD!!!
That reminds me...I haven't even installed mine yet. I had my heart set on a ZC/Si hybrid tranny with my Quaife, but the Quaife broke the bank and I haven't been able to get a ZC tranny yet.

BTW, a Quaife is rock solid and won't experience any problems like the OEM Differential with the weak Pinion Shaft

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the clutch all myself. Just the Exedy OEM replacement, new throw out bearing and flywheel pilot bearing. I took the flywheel to a machine shop to resurface and install the pilot bearing. I had considered getting a new flywheel at that point, but money was a serious issue right then.

Well I did some reading up on differentials. And it got me interested. I have a spare 88 Si transmission with about a million miles on it. And since I know nothing about how it all works, I just decided to go crack it open and take a look. It does make a bit more sense now. But looking inside, I'm really not sure I want to do anything in there by myself.

LSD sounds nice, but I'm wondering if I really want to spend all that money on this stock engine. Why not consider a B?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
crxfisher said:
LSD sounds nice, but I'm wondering if I really want to spend all that money on this stock engine. Why not consider a B?
Why not go CR-VTEC or K-series? Why not sleeve the block and supercharge it? Where do you stop? Ahhhhhh! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richrowa said:
You sure its not something simple like an engine mount?
I tried that already. Replaced front and rear mounts, and installed ES bushings. The side mounts "look" ok to me. I guess it couldn't hurt to try that first.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I would try that first before embarking on the unknown. You probably could see what is happening if someone was right next to you with the hood open when you take off, or even take the hood off and watch what happens. If its the mount you should see it.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Richrowa said:
or even take the hood off and watch what happens. If its the mount you should see it.
Yeah, I think I am going to do that. But it worries me. My stock hood has never been off, and I hope I can line it back up perfectly when I'm done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
do your CV axles click when you turn?
I had this on my yellow car, same thing where you let off the throttle and it lurches, etc. and if you do this in like 1st gear it bucks back and forth...

My CV's were shot in that car and there was so much play in the axles that it caused this.. i got a set of napa replacements and i've been golden ever since, tightened it right up.

Just a thought, if your cv's are clickin i would def look into that, much cheaper than doing a diff and having the same problem when youre done ;-)

-Henry

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just something to keep in mind Tom:

a weak spark or a momentary loss of spark will make the car jerk similar to what you described. I talked about this in another thread on the forums but just 2 days ago my CRX had your same symptoms. The culprit turned out to be a failing coil.

If you have or know someone who has a spare distributor, I'd try it. The reason I'm thinking "ignition" is because it's just hard for me to imagine the driveline jerking or bouncing. Those gears are meshed and locked. They don't slip and grab.

^besides what djhank cited

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought the same thing about the axles. I replaced those (lifetime warranty at Advance Auto) about 3 weeks ago. They were clicking. Funny thing though, after replacing them they are clicking even worse. I don't understand. So now this is why I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I'll check the motor mounts again, and look into the ignition. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I finally took the time to get under the car tonight and look for something. Anything! I found something. Where the passenger side axle goes into the transmission, it's loose. I mean, I can wiggle it up and down and front to back, off-axis. The driver side is tight and cannot wiggle. I'm hoping this is a problem with the axle itself and not something in the transmission on the receiving side. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I had the same problem your having with all 3 of the engines that have run between my fenders. D16, B16, H22. It was terrible with the D16. I replaced 2 clutches, all the motor mounts (brand new honda), misc bushings, axles etc...and it never stopped. Move to the B16, same thing...not as bad though. H22 same thing.

Ive learned to deal with it, I think its has somthing to do with the low speed engagement though. Mine doesnt do it all all if you are down on it at the track or climbing one of the half mile up hill entrance ramps around here :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.