Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard would it be for an almost total noob to replace the bearings in the l3 hf transmission? would it be worth the time/trouble and what is the potential for totally ruining the tranny?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've done a few input shaft bearings, I'm not looking forward to anymore.
I always seem to have to fight with getting the case that last 1/4 inch back together. :evil:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I did this to my Si years ago. It's not that hard if you are very organized about making sure everything gets back together again properly. Don't try this if you are no good at reassembling chinese puzzles.

I ended up doing it twice because I replaced both mainshaft bearings and I got the big one (end opposite the clutch) in backwards. Well that bearing only has thrust flanges in one direction, so if you put it in backwards the center race and balls just push out the end due to the side load from the helical cut gears. Fortunately I didn't go far before realizing things were in trouble so all I ended up screwing up was the 5th gear syncro.

Get the service manual (I know there's links to it online from this site)

Clean the outside of the case before you open it (wd40 or similar spray lube and a roll of papertowels works well)

Borrow a digicam and takes a bunch of pictures as you go so you get all the bearings back in the correct way.

I think you need a decent pair of snap ring pliars to remove the ring that retains the countershaft end bearing in the case

Replace the input shaft and axles seals too, they're cheap and you'll kick yourself if you have to do it later.

Don't forget to check the clutch and the flywheel end crank seal while you've got everything apart.

If you're putting a new clutch in, do it while you have the tranny torn apart and you can use the mainshaft as a clutch alighment tool 8)

If something isn't going together or coming apart and you feel like getting out a big hammer, go have a beer instead or (better yet) sleep on it. The only part of this that requires any force is separating the case which may require a big screwdriver (gently!) and maybe a rubber mallet.

If you can't hold 100 lbs suspended a foot above your chest for 5 minutes or so get a friend to help you get the transmission back in because it can be a bit tricky to get everything lined up and mated back together.

If you aren't daunted yet, good luck on your tranny rebuild...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doesnt sound too bad.. maybe about as hard as taking apart and putting a laser or really any other kind of printer back together.. about how much time do you think the whole thing would take? i would probably have to do it on a weekend.. maybe be able to buy an extra day or two not sure but doesnt sound too daunting

·
Registered
289 Posts
zerocool1014a said:
doesnt sound too bad.. maybe about as hard as taking apart and putting a laser or really any other kind of printer back together.. about how much time do you think the whole thing would take? i would probably have to do it on a weekend.. maybe be able to buy an extra day or two not sure but doesnt sound too daunting
You know, that was my inspiration that I could do this at the time, the fact that I could strip down and reassemble a HP LaserJet and not have any screws left over.

If you've never done this before I would allow at least a 3-day weekend. Figure a few hours to pull the tranny ... you've got to drain it, separate ball joints on both sides to get the axles out, remove battery, intake, trans mount, starter, exhaust A pipe, and whatever else I forgot. I think the second time I did it I got it out in less than an hour, but I'm a duffer compared to some of the guys around here. Figure the rest of the first day cleaning the outside of the trans case, wrestling with the snap ring that holds the countershaft bearing in the case, and getting the case split. Second day you disassemble while fresh, get the countershaft unbolted (the mainshaft can simply be disasembled when after you split the case but the countershaft has a lock nut on the end you'll have to remove ... the service manual has some tips about how to engage 2 gears at once to keep the countershaft from turning) clean interior of trans case, replace bearings and seals, figure out how to reassemble everything. Depending on how many miles are on it (and how it shifts) you might consider a fresh set of syncros or at least maybe the 2nd and 3rd gear ones that are usually the worst worn.

When I had mine all apart, I washed everything with lighter fluid (kerosene would work too) and cleaned all the crud out of the case.

Don't forget to marvel at how many roller bearings are in the countershaft and mainshaft assemblies. 8)

Have fun ...

·
Registered
779 Posts
cagedrex said:
and be careful when reassembeling the case "don't "force it the last little bit is tricky you have to make sure you get the snap ring in ,i didn't the first time and broke the case :oops:
Don't worry. IF it does happen, it's not too bad you can pick up horribly grinding cable D series for DIRT cheap. I'd say around 30-50$. You can use the facing from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.