Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. How are you guys doing?

I have a problem with my trunk not locking when I close the hatch.

What I first thought was the problem was that the excessive slamming of the trunk wore down the metal and compressed a little causing the lock not to lock. But the metal seems to be OK.

Now when I check the trunk release, I feel no tension and the trunk lock doesn't respond (I pushed down the lock with a screwdriver to lock manually). So, I believe that the cable needs replacing. Can this be the only cause of the trunk not locking? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Are you saying that the latch does not grab ahold of the pin on the hatch lid when you close it? often they can be misaligned. however you seem to also be saying that your internal hatch popper next to your seat is inoperable. that makes it sound like the cable is broken, or disconnected, or something internal to the latch mechanism is broken.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I applied some grease on/around the latch and fooled around with alignment. The lock doesn't fully wrap around the metal. When the hatch does lock, with a little effort I can pop the hatch open. And the hatch release cable must be loose or damaged. There is no tension in the hatch release.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
20,380 Posts
I was going to say clean it too, BUT, that has already been advised and tried. I would say take both ends apart and check both ends of the cable, then go from there.

I had a somewhat similar problem on my fiance's '97 Civic Coupe hood latch. There was no tension on the cable from inside and could not get the hood open. I had to reach thru the grill and unbolt the hood latch, take the cable out, open the hood and free the latch from the hood. I took the entire hood lock/latch out and cleaned the hell out of it with brake wash, lubed it up and works great now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to update the situation. I had enough time today to take a look at the trunk lock assembly. I took all components attached to the latch off and inspected the latch. The latch is fine. I also looked at the hatch release cable and saw that the interior trunk release on the driver side was not even moving the cable when I pulled on the lever.

The problem was that the cable was stuck in a position tight enough so the lock could not fully lock. I disconnected the cable from the lock and the trunk closes and locks. Though, the only way to open up my trunk is to use my key but that's not a problem.

Not sure if the trunk release cable is disconnected from the lever or broken at some point. Again, not a big problem so I'll just leave the trunk the way it is for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.