Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so now I have a clean CRX...
I want to reinforce the climate control panel, has anyone done this? I was a little worried it would crack, then I found out it happened to matt one time leaving my place! Now I'm ultra paranoid, if a passenger's finger goes near that knob it's getting cut off.
The other thing I want to do is protect the rockers, quarters, etc from rust. What's the best way to do this, other than keeping the car clean?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a guy (CRX Toad) who sells those on Honda Tech, but they are to repair broken ones. Mine is actually perfect right now, I'm just worried it will break, and I want to reinforce the back.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I saw where yours cracked and it seems to be from pushing on the knob. I had mine and it never cracked. Other then that, fab up something yourself. You have most of the tools to do it if i remember.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dodo said:
I saw where yours cracked and it seems to be from pushing on the knob. I had mine and it never cracked. Other then that, fab up something yourself. You have most of the tools to do it if i remember.
huh? Mine isn't cracked...

·
Registered
953 Posts
your old one

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If you use some sort of hardening adhesive, you can remove the controls, and apply the adhesive between the two boxes in the back (you'll see where i mean), and allow it to dry... if your control already has an 'arc' in it, nows a great time to clamp it to something straight lightly, and then apply the adhesive so that it pulls it straight more. Thats one option that has worked in the past...

·
Registered
114 Posts
yea mine is cracked too. i hear that unbroken ones can fetch a pretty good price.

·
Registered
734 Posts
A perfect climate control is one of the things I had on my old 89 Si (my first rex) and kinda took for granted at the time. That car also came with a stock foglight switch and Honda armrest...all things that I wish I would have kept. They DO go for a pretty penny on eBay now.

I've got one of the CRXToad plates ready to go on mine next time I have the console off and everything apart. A member here sold it for like $5 after deciding not to use it. They don't look perfect, but compared to my totally cracked piece now (and the annoying light that shines through it when the headlights are on), it is a definite improvement.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Por 15 is a really tough paint that entirely seals the metal of the car. Its a pretty impenetrible(sp?) barrier which will prevent rust. Chassis Saver paint is a cheaper brand... not sure how well it works, but it seems to be a very similar product, at least in how it applies and dries.

www.por15.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I thought the climate controls cracked from where the frame they sat in expaneded and basicly just crushed the controls, (from the car being left in the heat of the sun) You could put more bracing between the 2 sides of the frame to keep it from closing in on the controls.

Just a thought, correct me if Im wrong....

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Ah, well when I said expanded I didnt mean by alot but enough after years to start taking its toll on the plastic. But I was wrong anyway....Hmm...Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Tom if you haven't already done so, pull the weather stripping off/out from the wheel arches. Those trap moisture and allow extra time for rust formation. I should really think about por 15 too cuz I want my NC rex to stay rust free too tho I don't drive it in winter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.