Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate watching TV.
There's never anything good on when I want to see it. Or I have to wait a few days for a series...or I miss it. I'm not staying home for anything either. Well... maybe Top Gear.

We don't have TIVO or something here, so I'm stuck with downloading everything myself.
Since you guys get about 99.9% of all the good shows 2 years before we do I'm wondering if anyone can steer me towards some decent entertainment.
Weather's getting sucky and dark early...so less working on cars etc.

Somewhat recent and airing shows preferred, unless it's something really good but not too obvious. Kindof a "Must-see" list of shows.
This one is a good'un for the archives.

My personal pavorites. Feel free to add. Please add either a link or a synopsis.

Battlestar Galactica (Sci-Fi)
E.R. (Drama)
Heroes (Fiction/drama)
House (Drama/comedy)
Jericho (Drama)
Over*There (War/drama)
Prison Break(Drama/action)
Stargate Atlantis(Sci-fi)
Initial D(Animation/action/cars)
Scrubs (Comedy)
Rome (Historic/drama)
The Unit [actie/military/drama]
Brothers & Sisters [political/drama]
Star Trek: Enterprise (sci-fi)
Dexter (crime)
Day Break TV.com (crime/mystery/sci-fi) ATTN: INCOMPLETE SERIES! Not all episodes were broadcast
Studio 60 (Humor/political)
Weeds (comedy)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm not much of a TV guy either...I second Top Gear, though, to those of you who haven't seen it. They used to show it on American TV, either on Discovery or TLC or something, but that, sadly, didn't last long. There are a TON of clipss on YouTube, though (not just short clips, either...some are 20 or 30 minutes long), so I have downloaded and converted a ton of those and put them on my iPod. It's easily the best car show I've ever seen...amazing cars, hilarious segments, etc. I know this doesn't help SETI out much, but if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and check it out on YouTube.

As far as shows on TV that I actually take time to watch, well, there aren't that many. I don't ever really know what's on a particular night, but if I happen to turn the TV on and flip around, there are a few shows I will definitely stop on. Mythbusters is fantastic, I could watch that show all day. Any car show can probably catch my attention, like Overhaulin', American Hot Rod, Pinks, etc. They aren't the greatest shows in the world, but I'll stop and watch them.

Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO is probably the funniest show on TV, although it's not everyone's thing. Maybe the lack of a laugh track telling you when something is funny throws some people off :) Scrubs is in syndication now on Comedy Central, and it's fairly funny.

Other than those, I usually see what's on Speed, A&E, Comedy Central, The History Channel, Discovery/TLC, etc. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are always entertaining, and The History Channel in particular is almost always showing something interesting.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I don't watch much TV. I wait until the great series come out on DVD then watch the entire season in a few days.

I do like some public TV:
Nova
P.O.V.
Globe Trekker
Frontline

And check out some public radio I enjoy: This American Life. Listen online for free.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have to agree about the comments regarding Top Gear, being in the UK we get to see all the new series. Unfortunately after the Hamster crash the BBC were considering scrapping the show…

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1112/

But I doubt the British public will let them, there is a massive following here.

Ok back to your question, do you guys have Sky? They have bought out a set-top box with a hard drive called Sky+, not sure if the service is available where you are but it allows you to record programs, it also has a series link so at the press of 2 buttons you will never miss an episode/series of the same program. You can pause live programs, RW, FF etc. You get to watch what you want to watch all the time!!!

Anyway I was recently introduced to Entourage a US sitcom, I had all 3 series at my disposal and watched it in 2 days. That **** is addictive, funny program - just go download it!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entourage_(TV_series)

Ash

·
Registered
953 Posts
Rescue Me
To me, there is no other show worth watching. but Third watch is also a good show.

I mostly watch the movie channels like HBO and starz. Showtime has another great show called BS (the spelling of it doesnt work) with Penn and teller. There's my short list to add to this. Enjoy

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Charles said:
I don't watch much TV. I wait until the great series come out on DVD then watch the entire season in a few days.
Just about what I was going to say! Perfect since you're downloading them too.

HBO has some good stuff, namely the Sopranos. You've got 5 or 6 seasons of that out, so if you like it you're good for a while. I agree about Curb Your Enthusiasm, hilarious.

I don't know what the deal is with Top Gear. I have a couple of friends here who absolutely love it, they download and watch all the episodes. Personally I can take it or leave it, it's really just a big commercial for ridiculous cars. Yes, it's cool to see, but really I don't need to spend 90 minutes watching it. I prefer Fifth Gear, though I haven't seen too many episodes of it. They seem to review the cars' performance a bit more, less of Jeremy Clarkson's jokes.

And what's up with the blue lenses!?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yea just like other people said you have some good choices picked out already. I'm a top gear fan as well (Ive seen 96% of all the new series, I have too much time) Season 9 should be coming back on air pretty soon, but I just hope it comes on in october, just for it to be on sooner ;p
As for other tv shows if you have the time I'd say prison break and battlestar are really great, but to do them justice you should watch them from the begining. Jericho is really good as well, and its just starting out so you can catch up on it pretty fast 3 eps are out so far.
Stargate atlantis is good as well but its in its second season and to do it justice you should watch it from the beginning or atleast from the start of season 2 for like the recap, although in every ep they give a little background info for whatever the current ep is about.
I can definitley reccomend the above shows, as for inital d, its a good show about driving, but if youre not into anime you might not like it, but then its about cars so maybe you will ;p The cars in it are mainly from the mid 90s, although I have no idea about the current season.
As for house its a really good show but its one that you can pick up and watch it from any episode on, there isnt really much of a continuing story that youll be confused about if you havnt seen the other eps.
I hope you get some good info outa this post ;p

-Sulk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.