Honda CRX Forum banner

Tweak gets... tweaked... again.

8K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  ComposiMo 
#1 ·
So once again, we're tweaking with Tweak (Jonny_Blacks car)... lol! Only this time, things are getting juuuuust a bit more serious in the intercooler-department :)

Today we're installing a manifold that i've had laying around for a while... it'll allow him to finally have a/c back. Also, we're installing a PWR liquid-air intercooler that i've also had laying around forever, to replace his air-air one.

So, for now, all i have done fabrication wise is a single mount for the intercooler, and the cold-side charge piping... still needs to be finish-welded of course, as it is just tacked together for now, but it was already looking cool enough, i figured i'd go ahead and start a thread about it.. hehe.

Anyway, enjoy the pics! I'll post more up here as we get this turbo setup done on his car.. should only be another few days working at it after-hours and stuff :p

Tweak will once again, be siiiiiiiiiick :twisted:

I still have a custom aluminum water resevoir that i'm going to make, which will sit right next to the intercooler. The radiator for the water system is one out of like a 750cc Honda motorcycle or something. Still using the same turbo, but this build is happening in preparation of muuuuuch more to be done to this car to bring it up a few rungs on the speed-ladder :p

yAy!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #8 ·
7. Cuz i luv welding aluminum

8. Cuz a few people told me that mounting this intercooler in a street car wasn't feasible (tis in thur, ain't it?)

9. Now tweak will be a boost ninja!

10. Cuz i'm bored

11. ............. WAFFLES! :p

8)

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I4sillypwr said:
Welding outside corners on AL FTMFW!
Thats my favorite part! Dunno what FTMFW means, but i got lots of practice at outside corners welding up a bunch of radiators for some race cars... anyhoo, just back the amperage down a ton, and get creative with filler a bit... also, tilt the torch towards the corner, so that 'aerodynamically', the shielding gas won't create a vortex pocet around an edge, and introduce oxygen to the mix by accident ;)

I4sillypwr said:
But Pie> waffles.
Ppffffffftttt! wha-ev-er! :lol:

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I4sillypwr said:
I have no flipping clue what you mean by tilting the torch towards the corner man. Which corner do you mean?
Ok, so now i'm lost if you don't know which corner you're 'flippin' welding on... maybe i just misunderstood what you were saying in the first place... lol!

Blah... nevermind. I've got more welding to do so Jonny can have his car back sometime this month... haha!

Discussion starter · #15 ·
A 2-sided edge, i.e. like in the middle of the edge of a box, usually goes with the torch straight up to the weld, and not tilted in any way... kinda like this:

To me, this is one of my favorite welds on aluminum, because it is rather easy to start and flow, and it creates a killer looking bead.

But anyway, what i thought you were saying, was as you approached a 3-side corner, you were having problems... in that case, i drop the amperage down, and tilt the torch so that it is pinted more into the triangle, like if you were looking straight down on a pyramid... that way you have even gas flow over all sides, rather than creating a pocket of air around a corner.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
New Updates!

Ok, so after a few hours spent tonight messing with it, we have the intercooler and charge piping made... all 1 piece to :) That is a very nice thing about this setup... less couplers to have and blow off... actually, with this setup, it'll be impossible to blow off a coupling, because it simply won't be able to move enough to do it.. hehe. How bout some pictures?

So, here i am welding up the setup:

Yes, i really am too damn sexy for leathers... hahaha! j/k...

And here it is completed... the only thing left to do, is add the BOV flange, which i'll have tomorrow, and we're set!

And here is a part that i really am proud of for whatever reason... i messed with it earlier, but basically, it is a 2.5" to 3" transition in the middle of a bend. I also didn't have any 2.5" piping, so i cut down 3", and re-welded it. Both pieces are fully welded inside and outside, and then the outside welds were smoothed out to make it look sorta seamless... it just SCREAMS sex when you see it in person :p

Yes, there IS a welded seam that runs right down the middle of these pieces... but its nice and smooth looking :) :

Overall view:

And of course Jonny chilling out next to his improved baby:

(note how dirty he is... yep, he was working OVERTIME on his car tonight! hahaha! Just messin with ya Jon ;) )

Anyway, next up is to rebuild the condensor support with something more 'custom', mount the heat exchanger for the water lines, mount the water pump, and build a water tank out of aluminum... good times 8)

Discussion starter · #23 ·
downest: Yea, but its not as much as people think... it may be a bit noticable, but consider the amount of air a turbo actually moves... it can fill up a lot of piping nearly as fast as it can fill up short piping. The big improvement here will be off-boost.... but i don't think that Jonny will be spending much time there... haha!

Charlie: It is a water-to-air setup, whereas a normal setup uses air flowing over the fins, much like a radiator, this is the same, but it uses water instead. The biggest single benefit to this setup is the ability to put ice in the water tank, and run way-colder-than-ambient temp water through the system if you're at the track. This can significantly boost the power output of a motor. The big difference between this and other WAICs, is that it is shaped like a barrel, rather than being square. Looks different, but does the same job. And in this case, packaging it in the engine bay works out nicely.

Paul: Thanks.... just wait till i get the water tank done and in there... it'll realy make this setup look killer :)

Discussion starter · #25 ·
UPDATES, UPDATES, WE ALL WANT UPDATES!!! :lol:

Ok, so a couple weeks of B.S.'ing later.... the 'after-school/work-project' of Jonny_Black's "Tweak" is finally done... yAy!

It sucks not having a really broad schedule where we can really spend time on this, because all in all, there were only about 5-6 total days of 'actual' work involved in putting this deal together if you add up the hours spent.

So anyhoo, here are the latest updated pics... there is a bit of a gap between the pics taken last and these, simply because i usually never had my camera handy, or actually wanted to take pictures from being too tired... haha!

JB wrenchin away:

Custom intake filter tube... you'd laugh yer butts off if you knew how i made that transition from 3" to 4"... haha!

Here you can see the water box i made for the car... it fits nicely, and is pocketed/shelved/stepped underneath to clear things like the headlight bulbs and wheelwell:

You can sorta see into the water box here, and see the steps and shelves under it:

Nice shot of both very custom transitions side by side installed... man, they look great from this angle... too bad it'll be covered up by the radiator most of the time:

Almost there :)

Little Closer...

Done!!! Bumpers on, and ready to roll!

Jonny_Black Haulin tail down our driveway in his new baby:

It was definitely a fun project to work on... the car runs great! It has a couple of things that we're going to fix and do next weekend, but all in all, not bad for an after-hours fun project, eh? haha!

And now......... the Glamour Shots!

Before i get a bunch of comments about it..... Yes, i know about the water on top of the tank coming from a bolt... thats been settled already... hehe

Hope that you guys enjoy checkin out the pics! :)

Discussion starter · #28 ·
pmp: Wha, choo sayin that i used to suck? lol! j/k... thanks man... yea, i definitely tried to go after the "simpler is better" theme with this setup. I think it turned out quite nicely 8)

DB: Brilliant? naaaah... lol. I remember that at N9.. i think his brakes are still cooling down after that volley of trips up and down the street.. haha! But yea, riding in the car would give me the desire to sell a child or two for it :lol: Also... a car like this may not make you young again, but it can certainly return you back to being single in a hurry from spending too much time with it... lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.