Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finnally got my dad to talk to his friend who does paints cars in his small shop. From what ive seen is good because if its a big business they really dont care about u (macco). And they have all these BS policy were they will only paint the color that the car is.

Well anyhow i told my dad about the patriot blue and he informed his friend about it and he said its gonna be about 1000 for the paint and that depends all on A. what type of paint (which i didnt even know there was diffrent types for exterior paint jobs.. some1 plz explain this.) and B. how many layers and layers of clear coats. He also informed me if i wanted to go black which was my back up it would be a pain in the butt because he said it shows inperfections in the body the worst out of all the colors.

So Now i need help what type of paint should i use i found out a couple types enamual, aquilic. <--- cannot spell. so which one should i use plus how many layers of clear coat.

I dont have as much money as you guys have keep that in mind PLEASE!!! Because everytime i ask people always said just get the most expensive... blah blah $10,000. not think hey im just 17 making 7.50 a hour with $3000 in the bank and a 97 ex coupe that im going to sell so i have more money.. thats all i have for my future b16, paint, turbo kit, and all the other stuff i didnt expect to have to buy. Oh and that body kit i still need.

Im sorry for bad typing its late at night, just got off work and tired :(

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
A good paint job for the exterior only (ie., not painting the engine bay or door jambs) should run around $2000. I asked around at a few small shops when I got my car painted, and I got a guy to agree to $1500 because of the small size of our cars. That was for 2 coats base (stock color) and 2 coats clear, and full prep. It also included a few minor repairs, but nothing major. If you're getting a friend to hook you up, $1000 sounds about right.

I can't help you on the differences between acrylic, enamel or PPG paint, I'm not a expert on such matters.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
make sure you get the ppg paints. they are more expensive but they will last too. with me doing all the prep on my car and most the masking it run me $850 for paint and to get it sprayed. they put a gallon of sealer on and 3 coats paint and clear.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i guess i didnt mention that this is interior and exterior. The bad part about this is that i dont think he was going to sand down and re primer then spay the paint. He was talking about just spraying over the existing paint. He didnt say that directly but was talking about how the existing red paint would seep through and show through on the color i wanted to paint which was blue. So i figure he might be going cheaper or easier on himself since im really not paying for his labor just for the paint.

Is it really that big of a deal if he doesnt sand it all the way down??

Plus i mean if he had to sand the interior that would be sucky as hell specially if you seen all the curves and wrinkles in the interior. (its not flat at all, would be alot of hand sanding.) OHH another thing is that theres like that glue sort of sealant that is all through out the car and i was wondering what the purpose of it is. ? What is the car glued together????

Ohh and how hard is it to sand down the exterior and stuff and primer if i really did do it i would do it in small sections because i have no time.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
jfish360 said:
Is it really that big of a deal if he doesnt sand it all the way down??
It definitely is. Ask anybody who's ever had Maaco paint their car.

jfish360 said:
OHH another thing is that theres like that glue sort of sealant that is all through out the car and i was wondering what the purpose of it is. ? What is the car glued together????
You're referring to seam sealer, it's not responsible for holding the car together, that's handled by the countless spot welds you can see on every joint. The seam sealer just seals the seams against air and water, and provides a finished look.

I think ComposiMo said you should look to spend at least $3500 for an interior and exterior re-paint, and that sounds accurate. Anything less is cutting corners, and you will regret any cost cutting on paint.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dude im not going to pay 3500, im only paying for the paint. Thats why he was going to get lazy with it and macco it because he messed up. 3 months ago saying that he was going to do it for 1000. Now that its here hes like damn.... lets get it over. Well thats just what i think.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think ive really ever said in general to anyone on this site but. Thanks for the help. Im going to tell him how i want it the way i want it because its my 1000 dollars i worked my ass off for and i want the car how i want it. So thanks ill refer him to ppg.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You aren't going to be happy weith it, and "telling him how to do it for $1000" will wind up with him likely telling YOU to go f-off or something...

Why is it that people think that bodywokr can be uber-cheap, and last forever???

Guys, good paint work is ALL about labor, and it takes a certain amount of time to do everything properly, and that time is billed accordingly... even WITH a hookup, its expensive!

For instance, the Restoration project (By the way jfish, way to bite the color! lol!), it has 4 coats of color, and will have 8 coats of clear when finished. the cost of JUST the color portion of the paint, (NOT INCLUDING PRIMER) is a bit over $1000... there is over $1000 just in clear.. so right there, thats over $2000 JUST in paint, and you still haven't paid anyone to even load it in their gun, let alone properly sand you car, space back, or remove trim, mask the car off nicely, and clean it up enough to get it into the spray booth.... then actually spray it with care and compassion (IMPORTANT). Then, once sprayed, the car has to be cured, then color-sanded and buffed out, then trim and whatever else replaced... I don't know why you think you can have this properly done for under $1000 total...

But yea... you DID work your ass off for it.... so why WASTE it on a cheap-o paint job "JUST" to have new paint?? Work your ass off some more, and save up some more. Trust me, you'll be happier in the end!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I agree with John, wait till you have the cash. When I was working for $100 a week on my summer job, btw that was a lot of money for me then, I drove a reserected Oldsmobile that my friends called "the Cloud" because of the clouds of grey primer that spotted my body work. I spent my money on performance, a 4 Barrel carb and manifold I got out of a junk yard, WOW! :lol: as well as some tricks to my hydromatic tranny and way to heavy springs and shocks. The car was a blast albeit a bit crude. Finally got it painted and my luck, the frame cracked probably from the springs. Soon after that I left the country for 6 years to avoid Vietnam and go to school. I have no regrets. I still have fond memories of that old iron hulk.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way i knew i wanted the 350z color way before this even happened. And i also wanted the wrx blue which is the same color way to get off my nuts. Dude please dont talk to me like this i already said im paying for paint alone. And my crx isnt going onto a magazine cover like u want your dream project thingy. Ok your restortion is nothing like mine im not trying to have the best restoration project thread so plzzz. And the amount of coats i wanted was yours divided by 2. So If you divide the amount that all cost what number do you get???? plus i make 300 dollars a week plus school. And you might ask where it all goes well pretty much half goes to crx hlaf goes to billz. So two part time jobs plus school.. thats hard enough.

Well anyways my dad just pointed out like 10 dents that i never saw before so im going to have to use a little bit yes a little bit of :devil: BODY FILLER :devil: :mad2:

Thats right because im not going out and buying new parts beacuse the rust free ones i have have dents in them. So since im already going to in up doing body work im going to sand and prime the exterior and tell him that all he has to do is just spray the exterior and do whatever he wants with the interior// engine bay...

This is what my car looks like right now

Except all i got is
1. Working e brake, Since i live on a driveway the kids in the neighborhood call the mountain cause they sled down it all the time. By the way i lifited the motor out with a hoist and it almost got away. :lol:
2. The hatch since i am waiting till the day or two before it goes in. Because of rain but that hatch doesnt work to well when the wind blows the rain in thro the tail light holes.
3. i have the tires on.

·
Registered
324 Posts
first off man, you dont need to come on here, ask for peoples opinions and then run your mouth to them. composimo was just trying to help you out and answer the question you asked, so there for i see no reason for you to answer the way you did. Everyone is just telling you not to go cheap, because you will regret it in the long run. A lot of us on here probably have had cheap paint jobs, so we know from experience, but your right its you money etc. We just dont want to hear you complain about it when it turns out like crap. Anyway good luck with your project man, and thumbs up to you, for saving another rex :)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
So maybe i should just keep my mouth shut, and let you get a cruddy paint job, and then when you come back on here complaining about something about it, shrug it off, and say "well, its his car, not mine"....

That wouldn't be very responsible of me, would it?

And did i say that you have to go all out like the Resto project? No, i did not... but what i WAS trying to say, is that you SHOULD get it done right. But whatever, you already have your mind made up, and nothing anyone says or warns you about will change it. Hope your buddy doesn't give you a Maaco-equivelant job, cause that'll just be a waste of yet another CRX.

If its free, and something that SHOULD cost a lot, then something won't be done right... no matter HOW good of a "friend" he is, or how much he is "hooking you up".... But hopefully i'm wrong.

Good luck buddy! 8)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
no one should get to worked up about the paint either way. i mean having a cheapo paint job on the crx that may look good for a little while certainly won't actually hurt the car... just your eyes.
I've thought of getting a medium quality paint job on my car because the paint is raded so damn bad, especially on the top. 15 years in the florida sun. Some place told my mom they'd do the inside and out for 2 grand or something. I haven't talked ot them, but i decided there isn't anything wrong for now so I'm goign to wait until i have enough money to strip the car, work the body, and spray and buff it right. However, i would not be offended by someone in my situation just throwing a cheap paint job on in to cover it up for a while. but i guess i wouldnt pay more than like 500 bucks for said cheapo paint job.

**shrug**

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If you are trying to keep costs down why is the inside being painted ?? It gets covered with carpet / plastics /etc after all. If you didn't have the cash, you maybe should not have stripped the car down that extreme....???

If the car has exposed areas of metal or rust, and so it NEEDS paint, go for what you can do now. Maybe it won't be the best job, but ah well, there is always somebody out there that would have a bigger better more $$$ idea, you can't wait forever to make more dough.

However, if the car is fine, and I believe you said some panels just have dents not rust, then wait and save to get a better job done later. Don't cheat yourself and your car. There are a ton of things that can go wrong with painting a car, and that blue color you want will attract attention to 'em if they happen. Not what you want, plus the wasted cash.

In the end it's up to you, and so the best advice I would have is end this thread as far as asking people for advice and sit down in a quiet place. Think about what YOU want to pay to make your car look like whatever picture is in your mind. If your fantasy is a beautiful blue crx inside and out with no dents, no paint flaws, and a shine that can be seen down the block, you have to get comfortable spending grands. If you just want a crx that is mostly blue, go for the more affordable route.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well because i dont have a interior from where the gas sensor, well basically seats back its going to be metal.

Well today i sanded the whole roof down to stock primer which takes forever cause the paint is baked onto the car!! With 160 grit. I really dont no if i should go to bare metal, i mean i can but i would have to primer it in the same day. So since ive decided to do the exterior prep work. I need to know what type of primer to get. And what grit to use at which points in the process and i guess on the same question there what grit should i finish in.

Ohh and sense i went ocd with a sharpe putting dots on the dents i find. Well i found some more, there really small ones wuts a good solution for those?

Well i figure if i do a really good prep work then he really cant fudge it up that much i mean i heard that the prep work is the most important part.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Save yourself some money... rattle can the interior; a flat black could be nice. You could shoot the inside with 2-3 cans.

Before painting, you will want to sand it down with 220-180.

I would check with who is painting it to see what type of primer to use. I'm pretty sure it depends on what type of top coat you are using.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm actually frightened to know exactly how you sanded the roof down...

And yes, your painter will need to supply you with, or tell you what primer. If you rattle-can the primer on, you'll be causing him more work, and you may as well stop now and just let him do it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i used one of these and it worked really fast taking it all the way down to the metal and then some.

:frusty:

well then my dad said that im doing it all wrong and i have to chip away at the paint so i used my dads

:frusty:
well long story short now i need a new roof cause mine was a peice of crap and freaking was made out of weak metal cause now i gots all these HUGE dents in it.

:rolleyes1:

well actually i used sand paper with a sander my dad had that looks like this kinda

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.