Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm on my way out the door. I have to have shoulder surgery today. They need to fix the following:
1)Laberal tear
2)Rotator tear
3)2 bone spurs
4)a cyst
5)arthreitis

Depending on how extensive the surgery, I will be out of comission for 1 to 6 months.

It's gonna be hard typing with one hand!!

Wish me luck!!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Before my dad was disabled (unrelated to this story, it was a car wreck), he worked at a factory doing a job (operating a huge industrial die-cutting machine) that required really repetative movement in his upper body (loading a stack of large, heavy plastic stock into the die cutter, then removing it once it's been cut, repeat x10,000) Had trouble with both of his shoulders, tendonitis and all that junk. Started out with cortisone shots and other non-invasive methods, which didn't really work. He had big-time surgery on the first shoulder, with a huge Frankenstein-style scar that looked like they sewed his entire arm back on there. The second shoulder, a few years later, was done using arthroscopic surgery -- meaning it was done through three small incisions (less than an inch)...those few years made a huge difference back in the late 80s/early 90s, so I'm sure yours will be way more high-tech.

Best of luck...hopefully you will feel decent afterwards and you can just chill and enjoy daytime TV, pain pills, maybe a stack of car (or other) magazines to read...enjoying your time off knowing you will be better than before soon. Both of my knees make a very loud grinding noise when I bend them, especially while I'm putting my weight on them. Who knows, I might go under the knife for some similar work on my knee.

Again, good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Good luck.
At least you have both RHD and LHD rexs, so you can drive one or the other pending which shoulder its is yoru getting work done on. LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, that's a serious shoulder brace right there. As a medical professional (Occupational Therapist working in long term care) I don't really see too many younger folks w/ repetitive/overuse injuries, I usually get Grandma/Grandpa Jones who has advanced arthritis and DJD (degenerative joint disease) and alike.

Hopefully your RCR (rotator cuff repair) is solid, and your recovery is without complications.
Unfortunately (I'm sure your MD or therapists told you this), average recovery time from full RCR surgery (assuming you had a bad tear or rupture) is 1 year. What really bites, is that 95% of healing occurs within the first 6 months, it takes the next 6 months to get that last 5%.

BTW, it's "labrum" tear. Think of your shoulder joint as a golf tee and ball. the labrum is the covering over the concave part of the "tee", while the end of the humerus---big bone in your upper arm---is the "ball".

Take it easy, bro.

bryman<----medical geek

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This whole thing has been a nightmare!!

Operation was on Friday, Dec 1st. They had to re-attach my laberum in two places. It was out-patient, so I went home that night. They suited me up just like picture shows. On Saturday, I wanted a bath (sponge bath that is....and with my hot little mama, you would want one too! :wink: ). Went to remove the cryo-cuff (the blue thing), and the iodine had stuck it to my skin. When we finally got it off, it had torn a good portion of my skin off, to the point that it blistered in those areas. When I called and bitched about it they were surprised that there was no pad under the cuff or anything. That went no where.

Then, that neat brace i'm wearing has since been kicked to the curb. I have resorted to simple stabilization that I was taught on Ski Patrol. The brace was hitting into my lower bicep and actually bruised it. Now I have a huge charlie horse on my bicep.

These two things are causing more pain than the shoulder!!!

Not cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.