CF hood
Omni Coilovers
gutted interior
maybe more, can't remember...

pics:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks really good. Were those fogs a pain in the rear to install? I've been wanting to ditch my ww front bumper for a 90-91 or a jdm clip. Problem is nobody ever has the sir front end in stock.

How does that y7 feel in that car? I have the same engine in my DD 96 Civic and it just doesn't have the power in a heavier car...especially since I run the ac all day.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
sweet, good work. im not a big fan of that spoiler but the black on red comes off very good with it.

how do you like the omni's? comfortable ride? im thinking of getting a set around the 1st of the year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i like how you have the front plate recessed.

any leakage problems with the lexan?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Noticed you have the 90-91 tailights too. For some reason I prefer the previous style on a Red CRX...maybe it is just me though

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Devin said:
That cat has no tail! :shock: I like him/her though :lol:
not to get off topic but it could be a manx cat. . . i have one. . . . rumpies have no tail and stumpies have just that. .. . I little stump. . .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the comments

Here's some details and answers to questions/comments:

1)tHE fogs are Stanley prelude foglights that I painted amber (jAYdM). They fit pretty damn good and look like the original rex fogs, but required a little modification to the bumper and a little creativity to mount. difficulty is maybe 3/10.

2)The Y7 has about the same HP as the A6 but a little more torque a little earlier in the power band. (A6 = 100 lb-ft @ 5K rpm, Y7 = 105 lb-ft @ 4.5K rpm) It pulls good stock, but it's hard for me to compare 'cause my Y7 is running a Delta 272 and about 12:1 CR, among other things. I haven't really ever had a stock running motor in this car. Only thing you have to be careful of with teh late model D16Ys is that the oil pump is crap and lube issues are magnified in performance apps.

3) The cat's name is Sebastion and his tail is shaped like a question-mark. The bones in the last couple of inches of his tail are fused together folding back on itself. He's funny.

4)I don't have the full Omni coilover kit; it's just the slipover/coilovers. I wouldn't call my suspension 'comfortable,' but that's probably due more to having my KYBs set to 'extra firm.' I don't mind the rough ride though cause I'd rather be able to sling my car around the curves. :wink:

5)No leaks from the lexan. A little moisture builds up around the edges (but I live in the rainy-rainy NW...). The real leak comes in from around my tails.

6)I like the 90-91 tails for the dark edging around them. It helps set them off from the rest of the car since everything is red. As far as the license plate goes, I ended up breaking the factory mounting thingies inside the bumper and never really liked the way it looked up there anyways, so I trimmed it down with metal shears to fit it in the recess of the grill. Don't know if it's legal, but I've never been stopped for it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
icarusdown said:
3) The cat's name is Sebastion and his tail is shaped like a question-mark. The bones in the last couple of inches of his tail are fused together folding back on itself. He's funny.
:lol:

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
icarusdown said:
The Y7 has about the same HP as the A6 but a little more torque a little earlier in the power band. (A6 = 100 lb-ft @ 5K rpm, Y7 = 105 lb-ft @ 4.5K rpm) It pulls good stock, but it's hard for me to compare 'cause my Y7 is running a Delta 272 and about 12:1 CR, among other things. I haven't really ever had a stock running motor in this car. Only thing you have to be careful of with teh late model D16Ys is that the oil pump is crap and lube issues are magnified in performance apps.
Ok first off nice car and if i remeber you painted it yourself and it used to have a military style paint job. Is that a sunroof plug? Now to the engine Ive been asking ?s on dseries about changing from a A6 to Y7 but I just want to change the head. I have heard it flows a little better than the A6. The Y7 makes about the same amt of power as the A6 but does it with a crappy IM and like 190 injectors. You if I remamber are still running obd0 so you have all the A6 IM and inj so it should run better than the A6. Is there a good aftermarket on the Y7?

·
Registered
416 Posts
You mean this intake manifold. And all this time I thought this was the intake some refer to as the type R intake for d-series.

If you are interested in a Y7 head I might be able to do something for you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
daveb91 said:
Ok first off nice car and if i remeber you painted it yourself and it used to have a military style paint job. Is that a sunroof plug? Now to the engine Ive been asking ?s on dseries about changing from a A6 to Y7 but I just want to change the head. I have heard it flows a little better than the A6. The Y7 makes about the same amt of power as the A6 but does it with a crappy IM and like 190 injectors. You if I remamber are still running obd0 so you have all the A6 IM and inj so it should run better than the A6. Is there a good aftermarket on the Y7?
dropping a y7 head on the A6 would be good for some extra HP due to the increased compression from the smaller combustion chambers on the y7 head. As far as flow is concerned, I think it might flow a little better, not sure... But the Y7 does use larger valves and Omni makes a nice flat-faced valve for a little more compression and they are cut to flow better too. (I picked up a set of these directly from Omni and they are very nice for the price.)

And you're right, by just swapping the head but keeping everything else A6, you'll also get extra ponies from the better IM. The larger injector size of the A6 doesn't make a diff. I'm pretty sure the PM6 (A6) ECU just runs a shorter duty cycle than the Y7 ECU, so when the ECU and injectors match, roughly the same amount of fuel gets sprayed. However, I'm thinking that the Si fuel/ign maps are a little more aggressive, again a little more power (maybe?).

As far as aftermarket support... Not as much as some of the other dseries motors out there. Delta Cams makes a really nice 272 grind for the Y7 which is a fairly aggressive street cam. It will especially like being installed on the A6/Y7 combo with the higher compression and upgraded valve train is not necessary. Some of teh other companies out there make regrinds too like Gude but I've never heard anything good about them. (Plus the Delta regrind is only ~$70)

That's about all I can recall at the moment.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I really like the work youve done there, thats one of the cleanest rexes Ive seen before in red trim. If you did that paint job yourself my hat is off to you, good job! Have you registered any track times with that Y7 head on the A6 block yet?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts