Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today it's been one year since I bought my CRX. I first came into the community on May 31, when I joined the resource. When I got my CRX, I knew very little about working on cars, I had a bit of experience with motorcycles, but that was it. I have nothing better to do... so I dug up my first resource post:
a younger said:
Hello, I'm a new owner of a 1990 Si. I haven't dont too much work on cars, but I've done a lot of work on motorcycles, in fact this is my first car. I've driven a lot of Hondas, mainly my dad's '00 Si coupe and my friend's '97 prelude SH, and they all seem to have a nice clean feel to the shifter. My CRX feels like it doesn't want to move vertically in the gate, but it will slide left and right no problem. It isn't the worst I've felt, if it were an american car I wouldn't think twice. There is no grinding or popping, everything works fine, the clutch is good too. I really don't know much about non-sequential gearboxes so I have no idea where to start. I don't think the prvious owner has changed the tranny fluid for at least 20k miles. My friend with the prelude suggested using Honda MTF and flushing the old stuff out, but he hasn't felt it for himself and I'm sure his prelude was never this bad (he bought it new). I am planning on changing all the fluids Thursday, its due for oil in 500 miles anyway, so should I get some MTF and do that too?
The first thing I actually did was replace the alternator, then resoldered the main relay. My car was in terrible mechanical (and cosmetic) shape when I got it. Until I blew up the A6, it had been running nearly flawlessly for 10k miles and 8 months. Last summer I did a lot of stuff with the car, including a full rebuild on my now dead A6. Back then, there was always someone to help me out when I had a question. I also was a little nervous to post things, it seemed there were a lot of members who knew a lot of stuff, and I didn't feel like I should bother them with my stupid questions, so I spent a bit of time reading my service manuals when I got stuck.

Now things are a little different. For the last month I've been working on my damn mini-me OBD1 swap, and I've posted just about every day about something else that I can't figure out. And as the problems get more difficult, I feel like I'm learning even more. I've been frustrated lately about the lack of help I've been getting on numerous boards. I was talking to my roommate about it just now, and realized, there just plain aren't as many people out there who have done this as there were who could tell me how to adjust my shift linkage.

I've also let the car shape a lot of my life. My friends now consider me "the car guy", and I've made a few bucks here and there helping people. I've become a manager at the RPI Auto shop as well. I have a house full of CRX parts (though not as many as some members on here ;) ). I've done a lot of the things that I used to read about in envy... driving hundreds of miles on a fresh, untested motor, beat more expensive, faster cars in the autocross (Ferrari 308!), blew up a honda motor. Last week Stefano and I were at a bar and he told me that he googled for CRX rebuild, and my article came up first (on the Resource), that really made my day, it's out there, helping people along.

The most important thing though, is that I can help other people. Yeah, it sucks for me right now when there are only a handful of guys out there who can tell me how to wire up my motor, or why it's running like crap. But I do remember when I didn't know how to do anything on my car, and how much I appreciated it when I was told how to do stuff. I think it's really important to help people along, I've seen in myself how we grow and learn this stuff, and it's necessary to pass along this invaluble information.
I also want to say thanks to Tom for starting this board. I liked the resource, but it was dying off when I stopped posting there. I don't think I would ever have felt the same there either, it's a juggernaut of information, and I came in almost a decade too late. I know I've only been here for a few months, but I spend the most time reading and posting over here. I feel like I know most of you pretty well, and it's been a time interacting with you all.

Anyway... enough of the ranting... time to see if anyone knows how to wire up that damn 4-wire oxygen sensor...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
downest said:
Anyway... enough of the ranting... time to see if anyone knows how to wire up that damn 4-wire oxygen sensor...
If I'm not mistaken, you have: 2 black, a green and a white wire.
The black wires are for the heater - polarity doesn't matter. One goes to ignition switched power, the other to ECU pin A6.
The green wire goes to sensor ground - it's a grn/wht wire shared between the TPS, coolant temp and intake temperature sensors.
The white wire is the sensor output - It goes to ECU pin D14.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.