Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the speakers out of the car today and found... water. Not good. It seems to be coming in from the window seal. Both of my cars are doing it and for that reason, im worried. Both my speakers that i pulled out of the doors were soked. Is it normal to have water back there? It doesnt seem to collect into a puddle in the door so its getting out some where. Is it time for me to get new gaskets or is it normal?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm actually dealing with the same problem right now. Me and my buddy shop friend spent a good hour looking at it and trying to seal it off. We decided maybe replacing the rubber that makes contact with the window. Aparantly its expected that SOME water goes in, hence why it drains out. But not as much water as we're getting. I think I might just fabricate something to protect my speaker.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Foam baffles to keep the speakers dry. Keep the plastic wrapping over your inner doors to keep the door panels dry. Drill a hole in the lowest spot in the underside of the door to keep the water out (i think there's already drain holes near the front, no?) Replace 15+ year old window weather stripping to keep water out in the first place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just dealt with this.

All doors have some water seep in on all cars. The plastic between the metal of the door and the door panel is there to keep the door panel from soaking up water and rotting.

There are 3 slots in the bottom of the door. One towards the front of the door, one in the middle, and one at the back.

When water collects, it is because you've got dirt in the door that has clogged up the slots over the years.

To clean all the crap out, you need to take off the door panels and peel away the plastic so that you can get to the bottom of the door (window must be up so you can reach in there). Prop the door open as far as you can and do this over concrete (so you can easily monitor your progress).

Next, take a small screwdriver or scraper or ice pick or something and start running it along the seam where the door skin is attached to the door. This will scrape loose a bunch of dirt. Vacuum it out, or pull it out by hand and keep working the areas until you start to see dirt falling from the slots in the door. The slots are pretty big, enough to drop the remains of my shattered driver side door on the garage floor (I had 3, 3 inch piles of glass on my garage floor from the drain slots). Once you've got the whole area cleaned out properly, go over it again to remove all the dirt. Then pour water in the bottom of the door so you can see the stuff flow out properly and it will take any more dirt you may have missed with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.