Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you guys remember my old thread about which car to buy, but I had strongly been considering the WRX Wagon.

In the end, I ended up with a disguised WRX...a Saab 9-2x Aero. Its an '06, so it comes with the new 2.5L Turbo motor instead of the old 2.0 liter.

I got a sweet deal on it...
11.5K on the odometer
Sunroof
Cold Weather Package (heated seats, heated mirrors, heated wipers)
Remaining balance of 4yr/50k warranty (new Subaru's only come with 3yr/36k)
$19750

I've never driven a car this fast...I'm still getting used to it... :D

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
personally I just don't like the way almost any wagon look. But if you like and you needed a bigger car then it looks like you got what you wanted/needed. But I'm in the same boat as Mark here......I didn't know but now I'm assuming that Subaru is owned by Saab? or the other way around. never knew they were even remotely connected. haha

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
neither owns either. saab and subaru entered a deal to produce the 9-2x and 9-2x aero. ithe aero is 90 percent a WRX wagon, with different fascias, electronics, and interior goodies. the same goes for the 9-2x base model as compared to a 2.5TS wagon.

it sort of like how plymouth got the laser, but didnt own mitsubishi, except this time the non manufacturing company go tthe nicer model

chet, you dont want a set of factory roof racks by any chance? ive been hunting for a saabaru guy that wants them in trade for his factory plugs in the roof. also, if you want to go faster, i can hook you up with a sweet stage 1 reflash i made for another 06. it reflashes right through the obd port with a tactrix cable (79 dollars) and the software (free). should net you another 20hp and get rid of lot of the lag that is drive by wire.

anyway, enjoy it man, and take it easy on launches/1-2 shifts. early reports are that the 06 trannies are more prone to breakage then even the 02's due to the increased torque curve coupled with the shorter final drive.

dub, it should ride any different at all, probably rougher/sportier due to the low profile tires on that model. as for looks, well thats subjective. i love the subie stylin. (until 06, subaru made them ugly that year).

spartca, IRL the turbo wagons get like 20-22 with me driving one, 24-25 with a light foot.

good purchase chet, im sure youll be lovin it.

[email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the compliments guys!

And Matt pretty much nailed the Saab/Subaru connection on the head...it was only for this car, and only for two years (05-06). The Saab does actually come with softer dampers, but b/c of the aftermarket 18s that are on the car, I can't tell the difference. Not being a fan of 18s, I already have a set of 17" BBS RK's on the way. :D

downset: The lift kit removal is definitely next on the list... 8)

The sunroof thing is actually one of the reasons I went with the Saabaru over the WRX. Its not that you can't get them in the WRX (it was a packaged option for 06-07 WRX Wagons), but the fact that you HAVE to get it with leather, and I hate leather. The Saab allowed my to have my beloved sunroof, and my good ole' cloth seats.

And yes, no one sees this car coming...its funny, I would get more looks from import guys in my black CRX (stock, banged up) then I do with this car...no one suspects a thing...ultimate sleeper. 8)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and Matt...

I like my roofrail-less look... :lol:

How safe is this flash you're talking about? My current plans are to just go with a Cobb AP (down the line of course...this car is plenty fast for me for the time being).

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
chet90si said:
Oh, and Matt...

I like my roofrail-less look... :lol:

How safe is this flash you're talking about? My current plans are to just go with a Cobb AP (down the line of course...this car is plenty fast for me for the time being).
damn, me too 8)

the Cobb AP is not worth doing, Ive upgraded like 3 local guys off the AP and onto the OpenECU platform. A program called ECUFlash(openecu.org) is what you use to write to the ecu, and I use enginuity to datalog and to make roms. Check out the engiuity websote for a ton of information.

To answer your question, the maps I use are as good or better then the cobb maps, plus they are user modifyable. And the cable to do all this for your car is only $79 so theres a big cost savings there.

Ive reflasehd about 10 cars now (WRX's, STi's, LGT's, one aero and one EVO IX)

[email protected]

[email protected]

·
Registered
20,380 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:
neither owns either. saab and subaru entered a deal to produce the 9-2x and 9-2x aero. ithe aero is 90 percent a WRX wagon, with different fascias, electronics, and interior goodies. the same goes for the 9-2x base model as compared to a 2.5TS wagon.

it sort of like how plymouth got the laser, but didnt own mitsubishi, except this time the non manufacturing company go tthe nicer model
Hmm, cool to know. I didn't know that they had one of those deals.
Saab def came out on the better end!

chet90si said:
And yes, no one sees this car coming...its funny, I would get more looks from import guys in my black CRX (stock, banged up) then I do with this car...no one suspects a thing...ultimate sleeper. 8)
Def. as most ppl forget or simply just don't know that some Saabs come factory boosted. Blow by them and they wonder what that was! :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
spartca said:
How rare are those 2006 9-2x aeros? I might have to go check one out...
They're pretty rare, I searched for while before I came across this...it wasn't my top color choice, but it was an '06, had a manual tranny, and had a sunroof...that was good enough for me.

And yea, the gas mileage flat out sucks. I did an entire tank of ALL highway driving, and it netted me only 27mpg. :cry:

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
danielleb said:
Nice *two thumbs up*!
Agreed!!^^^

Sleek and killer looking mang!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.