Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into a car accident and from what the tow truck driver told me, my insurance is going to consider it totalled as it won't be worth fixing. :cry: What isn't worth fixing if its a damn 90 CRX SI? I would have pictures up but the car is at the towing storage thingy. Bastard people who don't look crossing an intersection, damn big SUVs who don't see us small CRXes around. So now I am CRXless and my pride and joy is sitting somewhere, cold and hurt. :cry:

On that note, I had this major project coming up for my CRX this year. I thought I'd like to share some insight on to how crazy I going to go with my CRX. I didn't want to share my thoughts and dreams until it was at least half way finished.
By the end of the month, I was planning on doing a H2B with a GSR trans with Mfactory's close gear ratio, Exedy Hyper Single Clutch. Nothing big as I would keep it stock except with an exception of a Thermal Exhaust w/ 2.5" pipes.
By the end of Feb, I would've done Tokico Illuminas w/ GC coilovers, skunk2 rear LCAs, Newspeed Sways, and some Rota Circuit 10s.
By the end of March, a JDM front end and repainted its orginal color black.
By the time it hit spring here, Chicago, you'll never know when the warm weather will show, I would take on my friend in his Krx.

But after that happened, my hopes and dreams are shattered and possibly won't be getting another CRX as the only one I ever wanted was the one that was totalled. Hopefully my insurance will fix it but I guess full coverage will only go so far.

Anyways, Hey everyone, my very first post! Sorry if it has to be a terrible story but hey, I had to get it out there as not many of my friends are CRX freaks like we all are here except my KRX bud.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
NO!!! that sucks for both of us :lol:

seriously dont give up on the crx. you can get another one to start on. show us some pics of the damage. what kind of condition was the rest of the car in? Man I was hoping you would buy my H2B setup to :lol: BTW, with the h2b you could do the jdm front, but you would still need a custom hood.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Im sure, if you rex cant be fixed, you'll find another one that you wanted just as bad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Don't give up man, find another one that is gutted for cheap and buy your wrecked one back for the donor!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
SIred91 said:
Don't give up man, find another one that is gutted for cheap and buy your wrecked one back for the donor!
+1
Its what I did.

·
Registered
818 Posts
jmart said:
SIred91 said:
+1
Its what I did.
yeah its hard to see a car being a "total" when it might still have some straight metal and parts that could still be useful :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Why would an insurance company "total" a car that's repairable? Because the NADA, KBB, etc. put such a low value on the CRX <$3K. Repairing your car using genuine Honda relacement parts would quickly exceed the NADA or KBB value so it's much cheaper for them to cut you a check and "buy" the whole car from you using those values. Some insurance companies will let you buy the car back from them with a salvage title. But thanks to scammers alot of companies have stopped letting people buy back their own cars. (Insurance companis discovered scammers were damaging their own cars to the point they were "totalled", buying them back, fixing them cheaply, and using the money to mod those same "totalled" cars).

After dealing with insurance companies from a few minor accidents, health insurance, and my relatives with Katrina I've come to the conclusion that insurance is the biggest scam on the face of the Earth. You have to have insurance to drive or have a home loan. You pay premiums for years and the instant you try to claim anything they do everything in their power NOT to give you a dime.

Proof insurance is the biggest scam on Earth.....it wasn't widely reported but financial records showed the insurance industry reported record profits in 2006 after Katrina. How is this possible if they (the insurance industry) are in the business of making their clients "whole" after the biggest natural disaster in U.S. history?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah my insurance totalled my CRX after an altercation involving a deer at 70 mph. :cry:

I bought it back for $250, replaced the broken headlight, corner light, and outside mirror glass. One of these days I'll get around to getting a hood and fender that aren't wrinkled.

Look for a shell, you can probably make a few bucks by parting out all the stuff off your old one that you don't need to move to the new one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the bad news from the body shop and the guy that checked out my car told me that he stopped the estimate when he hit $4500. I musta hit that SUV way to hard, gonna check out my car later today and will hopefully bring my camera to check out the damages.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally picked up my car and heres what it looks like now:

sorry if some pics are blurry, its the only time I can get some shots until the weekend hits

I guess its time to find a new crx!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Great donor car...That totally sucks though man, I would cry myself to sleep for quite a few nights if that happened to me baby.

Keep us posted. :cry:

·
Registered
818 Posts
well let me be the first one to notice that under the black is yellow.... and also to me it looks like all the damage is on the top side so there is probably no frame damage.. and if that is true.. new fender, new hood and a little work and she should be back on the road.. deffinately doesnt look like a total

·
Registered
952 Posts
corner light
headlight
bumper light
bumper
hood
fender
air box
light bulbs
bumper bracket
resonator
Body work
Paint
Good shop- estimate- 2500 to 3000 all honda parts Maybe a little less if after market is used. Most of the cost is body and paint, the rest of the list, if bought new 500 to 600 dollars.

The reason it would be totaled, the car cost about 2 grand and most people dont see a reason to fix it.

Hope this helps. I say fix it up. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
That don't look like nothing a JDM front clip and some welding skills can't fix. 8)

Dont give up on her. :cry:

Take the insurance pay off, minus what it costs to keep the car and buy a JDM front clip if U can find one.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Ouch... :shock:

It made it all the way to the airbox, so I'd say the frame rail there has been bent. And it looked like a clean Si too.... :cry:

:edit: I donno about the air box...Maybe Im looking at it wrong from looking at my rex thats just as bad... :oops: :lol:
Doesnt look like the wheel got hit, so if it drives straight then it may be alright.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
its not a y-49 underneath, thats just surface rust.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
its totalled, period.

The front unibody frame rail is bent out of shape. The car is gone. My car was hit and it was pushed down 1-2inches and it totalled the car. Even if you got it fixed, it might not ever drive right again. Get what you can for and buy another. Its not worth anything other than for parts.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It looks bad, but looks can be decieving. Once you peel off the bent sheetmetal and broken parts, I bet it's not as bad as it looks. The wheel is still in what looks like the stock location, so I would think that the drivability wouldn't be affected.

The front frame corner can be fixed with not a huge effort, but it does look beat up. Lets see some new pictures when you've got the corner stripped down to frame.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Pull off all the body panels yourself and send the frame to a shop, get it straigthened. Find a black crx at a wreckers (or buy a jdm clip) and swap the panels over. I say if you do most of the work it would be a 1000$ job, if that!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
the fender frame rail cant just be straighted out like that. It has to be physically removed and replaced with a new piece. My car was just totalled for the same type of damage...just not as severe.

The highlighted area is bent WAY out of place. Not to mention the whole nose piece would more than likely need to be replaced. The labor to fix it is what will kill the car. Its not just sheet metal damage, its structural.

My car still drives with that type of damage, it doesnt look too bad but its not worth fixing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.