Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background Info
Hey wut up im new to this forum and im going to get a 90 crx si shell for 400 dollars. Im most likely gonna get a engine so im gonna get a b16a.

What type of clutch
Back to the question what stage clutch should i get and if you have any good experience with a certain brand it would help. This cars gonna be used for pure fun at the track. And only on the track.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Different clutches have different torque/horsepower ratings. Depending on how much of a monster this setup is going to be, you have a range of different options.

For example, ACT has a line of different pressure plates and clutches that are designed to hold difference amounts of torque.

Pressure Plates: Heavy Duty, Xtreme Duty

Clutches:
Sprung Discs - Street Disc, Performance Street Disc
Unsprung Discs - 4 Puck Race Disc, 6 Puck Race Disc.

I have an Xtreme Duty pressure plate and a Performance Street Disc, which together will hold about 270 ft/lbs of torque (according to ACT). I have a stock engine with light mods. My clutch is overkill for my application, but I got it for the possibility of future upgrades. I like a really grabby clutch, but I didn't want to go with something as harsh as a race puck (almost impossible to drive as a daily driver).

If you want comfort, go with a sprung clutch disc. If you want super fast times off the line, and don't mind replacing transmission components often, go with an unsprung puck race disc.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
If you're getting a CRX for $400, and "gonna get an engine [maybe] a b16a"... me thinks you may have more to worry about than what clutch will make it mAd tYTe FaSt yO! :lol:

just playin... but really... get the car, get the motor, and have a plan... know what you want it to be, not just some pie-in-the-sky car. Because honestly, if you're just going ot the track with a stock motor, a nearly stock clutch will probably suit you fine unless you abuse it, and then an aftermarket clutch will only help extend the life through the abuse... band-aid basically.... not a solution.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im gonna end up going N/A "ALL MOTOR BABY" as my dad says. Hes the only 1 thats really gonna end up helping me alot. I have a budget of 3 grand. I already know my dads gonna put up 1500 so im pretty sure he will end up put up more then that. So with a rough budget of 5000 dollars i think i can make my crx pretty fast.And dont act like havent being planning for like 6 months now.I sit in bed for like 20 (or 5 i cant tell) mins before falling asleep thinking about my crx. Now i bet you guys dont do that lol.
If i had a lil bit more money i would go with a b18. But the b16 is cheaper and easyier to install. So i should stick with the stock one till either A. It dies B. i get more then 200 hp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.