Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get your opinion of H22s. From looking, they seem to be the best bang for your buck. i'm tight on cash, and this is going to be my summer project. I would like to do a b searies, but they seem more expensive. I dont want to do a b16 cuz i want a bit more displacement. I just dont think you can beat 200 hp and 155 ft. lbs. of torque. What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of the different engines.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Realistically.......

Do the B, it is cheaper than the H.

If you are dead-set on the H, or not having a B, "A" K motor could be swapped into your car for less than a H... note, i said 'a k motor'... it would be a lower end K, but still a K, and easily swappable over to a better K later on :)

But anyway, if you're looking at just dollars, and wanting to do A swap, a B will be your best friend.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm looking for something that has a lot of power. What kind of modding does an H searies need to fit? i've herd that you need to make clearence for the alternator. But thats all i know. I'm on an extreemly tight buget. Its gonna take me all summer just to save enough money. What b engine would be the best for power vs price?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Where's black_krix when you need him. He has probably already ran through all the numbers and options in his a head a thousand times about this swap. He was running a b16 swap but now is switching to an h22 with a b series trans which should help with some other the headaches. But the H2B trans adapter plate isn't necessarily cheap either. But like I said he is probably the person you should be talking to.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Tiersin:
Like ComposiMo said the "B" is your friend.
If you are on a tight budget then I'd shy away from "H" swap.
You do also know that your "slot car" handling will go out the window after the H swap.
High HP #'s can be had by the B-series.I guess how high do you want to go?
Heck I've even seen turbo'ed D series pull 300+ with the proper tuning and the right internals.
I'm willing to bet even compi can vouch for that.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
joshman said:
Where's black_krix when you need him.
:crawls out of a hole:

If you are on a budget stay away from the big H. My circumstance is a little different and I'm swapping mine in basically for free, I'll get to that later.

Now you can get a B series swap for a good price still. I just sold mine with a pr3 ecu for $800. Of course you still need mounts, axles, and a intermediate shaft if your engine doenst have one. Add 4 wires for your vtec and your running.

Now the big H is a bit more complicated. You can do it a few ways. get a H22 swap that will run you in the $2500 range. From here you can hack out your mounts and go completely custom on the mounts. Not good for a budget.

No matter what way you do it, you will also need to go OBD-1 and do some work on a wiring harness. Mainly stretching wires. I used 2 d16a6 harness, one for the longer pieces to splice into the other.

The P13 ecu will do ok to get it going, but you will need to run a chipped p28 to get rid of that pesky egr.

Other options are one of the 2 mount kits I know of. Hasport of course finally released their kit. its $749 on their website, not to mention you need custom axles, another $400 from Hasport.

The other mount kit is from a newer place http://www.explicitspeedperformance.net/
His name is John and hes a pretty cool guy. Apparently cool honda fabricators are all named John :wink:

He put a H22 in his crx and made his own mounts. His car is lowered and he has a few inches of clearance still. I believe his kit requires one custom axle, not 2. His kit is $449 shipped.

Either kit the alternator is in the way. Im not sure how Hasport does it, probably with a relocation kit like Explicitspeed. He also can make it so you can use a lighter D series alternator too.

With the top 2 options you have to use the preludes shifter cables. You need to cut some holes and use the prelude shifter as well.

Now the 3rd option. H2B. This is perfect for me. I already had a B16a swap, so I had most the parts I needed. Its an adapter plate that lets me use my B series tranny and drivetrain etc... on the H22. Since I'm using a B tranny I use B series mounts too :D . Downsides to this though are hood clearance. As in there is none. You have to make a custom hood.

Now the CRX front crossmember. It wont work. Unbolt it and give it away.
I contacted JimFab and Fullrace and niether could tell me if their kit would clear the oil pan and crank pulley. John from explicit makes a traction bar kit that will, its in his car. So there is another part to buy.

I got tired of the B16 for some reason. I couldnt go K because of the money. An H is still different, most wont even consider it because Honda-Tech told them not too.

Now onto my cost's. I paid $1500 for a wrecked 92 si with jdm h22 swap. That was around last summer time, maybe fall...too early to remember. I lost count after I made my $1500 back in parts. I just made another $165 last nigh off some stuff and hes coming back for more. So basically a free H22. Sold my engine and cf hood, so the $1175 i made off that stuff paid for my H2B plate, traction bar, alt relocator. Extra money I made off of the car has got me a 8lb flywheel and stage 2 clutch too.

An opportunity came up and I jumped on it. And if my last part ever gets here I will get the swap started.

Well class is dismissed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts