Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that in this day and age, the term JDM is just another term that has been beat up so much that it has lost it's true defanition: Japanese Domestic Market.

I am curious what JDM means to you. When you see a car, what makes you say, "it's so JDM YO!!!!"?

Is it the RHD? Is it the Mugen wheels on a USDM car? Is the Canadian SE considered JDM to you?

Just curious about your thoughts.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree with your view. I am just curious about the other side of that coin, though.

Example:HIN chicago this year, the car that won JDM class was a USDM EVO VIII with Bride seats. I am curious what makes people think this way other than the fact that HIN staff needs to quit bobbin on certain teams d--ks.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Neil said:
When you see a car, what makes you say, "it's so JDM YO!!!!"
I hope i never hear anyone say that! :lol:

SETI20 said:
If it was a japanese option or model it's JDM. End of story.
It's not a "style" or a "movement".
Agreed!

The only way i would say that a CAR is JDM is if it is an original RHD vehicle, straight off the boat, or in VERY few cases, an extremely well done conversion which has ALLL the meticulous details and tedious options.

Cars may have "JDM" parts or options installed on or in them, but that does not make the car JDM.

Neil said:
Example:HIN chicago this year, the car that won JDM class was a USDM EVO VIII with Bride seats.
In that cases that is an example of a car with JDM parts, not a JDM car and SHOULD not have won it's class!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Well besides the fact that a RHD conversion is retarded in more ways than I can think of, the VIN will still not say "EF".

My car is about as close to a VT model as it'll ever be. But my vin still says ED9, and not EE8. So no matter how I choose to put it, I don't own a VT. Nothing else to it, no matter how nicely I converted it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
JDM, literally speaking, is not a style or a movement. It just refers to a car sold in Japan...BUT, in the import scene (like it or not), JDM has a second meaning that refers to a certain style of modifying a car, from JDM parts and accessories not available stateside to aftermarket parts that you'd be most likely to see on a modified car in Japan. Some people get carried away and think they have to roll RHD to be the "ultimate JDM"...IMO doing a RHD conversion to a LHD car in a LHD country is dumb, dumb, dumb, and puts the idea of "JDM" way above the actual function and driveability of the car. A good example of taking it to far.

JDM, as it refers to a style of modifying, can be a pretty tasteful thing (that doesn't mean it always is, but it can be clean as hell). At least it's not about big bodykits and 18" chrome wheels, it's a fairly "stock" aesthetic amplified by hard-to-get Honda parts that weren't available here and nice aftermarket stuff that looks a hell of a lot better than most riceboy or bling-bling stuff. Sure, it's overblown, the parts are overpriced, and certain people get carried away with getting every little sticker and switch...but as a whole, it's not a bad plan for modifying a car.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
I don't see how keeping the outward appearance almost stock qualifies as JDM. I think most people would just say it's just cleanly done.

Something is only JDM if it was sourced from the Japanese Domestic Market. The biggest fallacy in my eyes is amber corners being marketed as JDM. You can have them if you want them, but dammit, they're not JDM.

·
Registered
720 Posts
JDM means to me that if they would've included all that ish on USDM cars I wouldn't be blowing my savings on semi-worthless crap all the time.

JDM means to me politics. The reason we didn't get a B series in a CRX is because of import tariffs and safety restrictions ect. I am sure Japan would've loved to sold all that crap to us.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
jfrolang said:
The biggest fallacy in my eyes is amber corners being marketed as JDM. You can have them if you want them, but dammit, they're not JDM.
Don't you know, Amber is the official JDM color, y0! :lol:

I paid way too much just to have different bumpers, blinkers, control knobs and other non-essential crap, that often has letters in a language that I don't speak on it, and that doesn't really have any actual effect on my CRX, except with other people who pay way too much for the same kind of crap.
:lol:

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
ryan_long_01 said:
JDM, literally speaking, is not a style or a movement. It just refers to a car sold in Japan...BUT, in the import scene (like it or not), JDM has a second meaning that refers to a certain style of modifying a car, from JDM parts and accessories not available stateside to aftermarket parts that you'd be most likely to see on a modified car in Japan. Some people get carried away and think they have to roll RHD to be the "ultimate JDM"...IMO doing a RHD conversion to a LHD car in a LHD country is dumb, dumb, dumb, and puts the idea of "JDM" way above the actual function and driveability of the car. A good example of taking it to far.

JDM, as it refers to a style of modifying, can be a pretty tasteful thing (that doesn't mean it always is, but it can be clean as hell). At least it's not about big bodykits and 18" chrome wheels, it's a fairly "stock" aesthetic amplified by hard-to-get Honda parts that weren't available here and nice aftermarket stuff that looks a hell of a lot better than most riceboy or bling-bling stuff. Sure, it's overblown, the parts are overpriced, and certain people get carried away with getting every little sticker and switch...but as a whole, it's not a bad plan for modifying a car.
bingo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.