Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the CRX and CRX community mean to you?

(Take a few minutes to think about that before reading further)

I'm a bit old school, not as old as some, but not as new as others. I see a lot of names here that I recognize and a lot of new faces too. It's good to see that so many veterans are still around, and just as good that the new faces are keeping the CRX dreams alive.

On to the point I want to make. As an old time member of our community, I always had a rather noble vision of our group. Perhaps I'm a fool, but I always saw us as a helping and friendly bunch, even when we didn't agree on something. I always liked how any one of our "family" could post up a problem or ask for help and we all jumped on the problem to help another rexer out.

If a member from Georgia was stranded in PA, we got him fixed and home quickly. If someone's GSR swap was a few parts short from being complete, someone always chimed in with where to get the parts or offered help to finish it up. I could go on for hours about the things that make our cars the heart and soul of something great.

For me, there's been a lot of guys that have helped me out in times of need. From rescuing me when my igniter went out 100 miles from home, to offering advice and knowledge when I asked stupid questions, the community has brought me back time and again.

When I sold my rust free, near mint 89 CRX Si, I didn't regret it in the least. It was nice to see it go to a fellow community member that would bring her to glory. Matt swapped out a lot of parts, that I had on a mile long list for over 4 years and never did anything with, and made her everything I couldn't afford to. Sure, I had big plans, but I couldn't see driving a rust free car in PA winters and I refused to drive her in the rain. Basically I put on like 1500 miles in 4 years. The part of that transaction that was the toughest was that I no longer shared a common bond with a lot of you. Now that I've gotten another CRX (lined up) I have that bond back, and come back to see a lot of familiar faces. I sure missed you guys.

I'll ask again, what does the CRX and CRX community mean to you?

Give some examples of what keeps you coming back to the CRX and CRX community.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
to me the crx is one of the greatest "hobby" cars I can think of. It's not RWD and didnt have a big v8 dropped into it but yet it's still fun as hell to drive. I love the fact that I can take a crx and turn it into a car that will get down the dragstrip faster than most other cars, then take it to an autcross track and watch it handle the sharpest of turns with no problem and then to top it all off........drive it home as my dailydriver and still get better gas milage than a car that is soo much slower. Nothing compares in fun to takeing a small little 2seater on a twisty road and shift through the gears of that manual 5speed transmission(well ok.....there are a few things that compare but we'll keep that a secret :lol: )

and then there's the crxcommunity.......since I'm falling into my dads prelude I went and joined preludepower.com.......and it sucks in comparison to this site. here at crxcommmunity.com everyone seems so much more friendly and willing to help. anyways......I'm off to help my dad with his 1970 Dodge challenger......but if i run into a problem with my rex along the way.......I know you guys will be here to help me figure it out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I suppose collectively for me, it would be (IDK if this is a word) thoroughness.

I've always considered the Community, and the Car itself, to be thorough as possible.
Our community is die hard, there are people learning japanese to translate manuals and whatnot and do overseas deals. When there's unexplored territory, we get out there and check it out, and 9/10 catalog is so well, it makes it easier for the rest of us.

I've been in the CRX community for about 6 years, and I've been heavily online since about 04, and I've had many great experiences come from this.
If I had a $1 for everytime I asked Bart a ?, I'd have a K swap too.
Just the other day Paul (Speedfreak) called me up for my opinion on something. Mike from CRXCentral has coached me through my glasstop project, I mean so many members of our community reach out and lend a hand all the time.

I know alot of car enthusiasts, for several makes, and NONE of them are like us. None. Period.

As far as the car goes, the CRX is, and always has been, a perfect car, hence why I call it thorough as Honda was just that in its design. Everything about it is perfect to me, the body lines, the interior style, I mean literally every single bit of a CRX screams perfect to me (except door mounted belts, BLEH!) and to me its the ultimate car.

Alltogether to me the CRX and its community are a driving force in my life.
They make me strive for improvement constantly, and in multiple ways. To make my car look better, to run/perform better, for me to be more mechanically inclined, to go get a real damn job so I can do the things I want. It makes me a very ambitous person.

Alot of you dont know me well, and Bart can tell you, I'm not your average CRX'r. To sum it up, Im a street kid. Yea Im educated, but Im from the streets, I've robbed people, stole cars, dealt drugs, all kinds of foul stuff.
If I hadnt got hooked on the CRX bug when I did (about 16) I'd probably be in a prison cell right now.

So te me, the CRX and Community are very important, and a major part of my life.

Enough blabering on my part, someone else spill your guts about your love for the CRX now....

·
Registered
711 Posts
i wish i could understand this obsession...

all i know is i love this car, and i enjoy the input of the community; although sometimes old school, or closed minded.

·
Registered
209 Posts
To me this place is like the car. You drive down the road and se a broken rex..... u pull over and get dirty.

nobody is up on anyone, common intrest.

and the people you donrt normaly like dont have there rex long enuf befor crashing it to come in here

·
Registered
820 Posts
the crx to me is a design masterpiece, a car built with beautiful flowing lines, yet having some hard flowing lines in its body creating a sexy shape. a level of balance from front to back, built in three different trims (in the states) that allow for about any driver to be happy.

and to be honest

the first time i saw a crx it was a second generation in rio red, my neighbor had bought it and was actively driving it. Just seeing that car every day i was captivated by it and have loved the car ever since. i think i saw my first crx when i was 7 or 8 years old. im 21 now and did not get my first crx until about a year ago and havent been happier with any other car i have driven.

The community means alot to me as well. for one thing this community is a great group of people who understand its not always easy to search through old topics for information and even if an idea for a body modification or interior ricification isnt that great and it takes the car away from its beautiful stock state they are still informative and helpful either way (not to mention if they dont like the idea they dont flame you) unlike other communities and user groups. (see 240sxforums.com)

anyways thats what the crx and this community mean to mean i want to thank everyone for making things so great and sharing their love for the vehicle that i personally love as well :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
my old nabour used to buy and sell cars. I was walking home one night and seen the car siting in the drivway. Wowwwwwwww what the fshuck is that? the nex day I went over there and said din, I want that car. He told me it was sold so I said NO! I want that car, then I bought it and that was it. Iv owned a crx for 9years now

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I was co-owner of crxonline.com.... I quickly dumped that for this.
Had I known this place existed, I wouldnt have even paid for the hosting that I paid for on crxonline a yr or so ago.... Some great people showed up there, but we could never keep it together. The other owner kept wanting to change things...and well the script got so screwed up. You can only redo a site/ forums some many times before you drive people away.

This place is perfect...great people, no nonsesne like honda-tech, simple, clean, plenty of help and the sense of family. And tons of info.

I cant wait to actualy meet some of you guys at meets like the ohio meet in sept.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Even though I'm still a newb here, and to owning a crx in general (heck ive never even driven one yet, its just sitting there waiting for warmer days) and even if im not so much a part of this site as many of you are, it feels more like a real 'community' as much as an online community can be. This is the one site I actually do read every post, and help where I can, and I am really happy to not always read 'go search newb' or get the sense that everyone is here to brag about their car, and rag on everyone else. E-thugs. It feels like a more mature audience here to me. Maybe cos a lot of us are, older guys, working on older cars. I get that feeling like my pops must have had when he and his buddies would swap out engines in old 50's chevys, it wasnt about being a hardass with the cleanest pleather front seats, but rather, lets just get this thing running and drive it around already!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I think everyone knows... I love my CRX. I've had so many good times in it, and some bad ones. From an engineering/design standpoint, I don't have to go into detail to tell you guys how good the CRX is... we all like it for a reason. For some, like me, it's a good daily driver and capable race car, for some, like Bart, it's a purpose built machine (though I don't know the purpose), and for some (like Mark) it's perfectly fine bone stock daily driver you can beat on and expect it to start day after day.

I like to think of the CRX as a little bit of a mistake on Honda's part. They intended (I think) to build more of a cheap economy box, and ended up making a nimble little sporty compact. I wonder what would have happened to the CRX/EF chassis had someone not started swapping motors in them, if there wasn't good aftermarket support, and if there weren't owner groups like this one. Would it have faded into the 1980s like the Starion, Fiero, and others?

I've had a lot of good and bad times in my car(s) like I said. I've been stranded (only once though!), I've been pulled over, arrested, chased, and hit, I've been beat by worse cars at the track, I've blown my motor autocrossing. I've driven with a bad motor, untuned high-compression motor, open exhaust (painful on the ears), and a shattered front end. I've also put thousands of miles down, met new friends, beat a Ferrari on the track, got compliments from strangers, learned how to work on cars, spent some fun times installing and tweaking my new parts, and most importantly I've become such a better driver than I was a year and a half ago. I've converted a few people to the illness, talked to plenty of you on PM/AIM etc, and I've had good and bad discussions with you.

I would have my CRX regardless of the community, but it certainly makes it that much better to own. I've been on other user groups, for my motorcycles, my sister's car, and friends' cars. None of them have nearly the following the CRX does, VW has good support on the Vortex, but it's like Honda Tech... lots of crap to pick through.

When I first got on the boards, I found the resource of course. At the time it was the best thing I could find, and a couple of the members there (Heu and John included) helped me out a lot. When I rebuilt my A6 for the first time, part of the reason I did it was to contribute to the board. It seemed like nobody was rebuilding their stock motors, everyone wanted to swap out for something newer. When I did mine, I got a lot of support, and even got a few guys on the phone to walk me through parts of it. A while after doing it, stef told me my rebuild article was number one on google (for CRX rebuild). That felt really good, it was the first time I felt like I was giving something back to the community, and that's why I still write tech articles. I get a lot of PM's and questions about how to do things related to the articles I post, and I never have a problem helping with them. If we didn't do that, there wouldn't be a community.

About a year ago now I came over here after a PM from John on the resource. The resource was dying in a bad way, when I had joined there was at least daily traffic, but it went pretty stagnant last winter. I was a little apprehensive about starting on a new board, where the members didn't like the one I'd become attached to... but I stayed anyway because it seemed like fun. That's about when I started meeting local guys: Tom (Dodo), Matt, Scott (rex2nr), and jmart. I've met up with all of them a few times, and we've helped each other out before.

You all probably think (and you're right) that I spend too much time on this forum. I really like it here, the worst thing for me is having to lock or delete threads that get too heated. I know most of us could sit around and throw back a few beers, and we'd be cool with each other. I like reading posts about how everyone's car's doing, how much Bart likes the K20, GSRCRXSi loves the B series and how much baker hates it :p. I also like seeing the projects progress, and how the car hunting plays out.

I like you guys, and I hope I'll see more of you at N13 and maybe Mid-Ohio next year. If anyone were closer, I'd meet up more or come help you throw in a swap or something. I don't have too many Honda friends that get into serious work close by... it's nice to think there's a community out there.

Wow that was a lot... I'm feelin all happy this morning...

:beer:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for posting your experiences. It's nice to see what our cars and this place means to others. Keep up the good work.

The reason I started this thread was to try and show some of the newer members what they can expect from this site if they have patience and stick around. Also, I wanted to remind the veterans what the place should be and the responsibility we have to help the newer people.

I was starting to see a bunch of "use the search" or "there's a ton of articles about this, I'm not answering" type of replies, and I think we're a bit better than that. If your brother/uncle/dad/sister/etc asked for your advice on something, you wouldn't simply tell them to go to the library; you'd offer your input. Saying "use the search" is worse than not responding. It shows that you took the time to read their post and rather than offer an intelligent answer, you are attacking them or hostile because they didn't search.

I hope posting this doesn't kill this thread, I like hearing stories about us helping one another. I just wish I could do more but I've got limited knowledge when it comes to cars … and just about everything else too. LOL.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have been messing with cars for a very long time. I have made nearly every error the home hobbiest can make, sometimes more than once. If I can share that experience with those who come after me in this hobby, then I have justified my existence in the community.

So if I give a grumpy, demeaning, sarcastic responce to some stupid newb question... remember that I do it with love.

Scott

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
This place and the members are like family to me. While most of us may not like blitz kits, altezzas etc...most people will just say " not my thing, but its your car" instead of " your an idiot for putting that on there" The 2nd gen is almost 20 years old now and people are still swapping parts from new hondas, and then showing others how to do the same. (im still waiting on the new si cluster if anyone wants to jump on that for me :wink:)

When I broke down in Maryland, Lumpy offered to drive up and tow my car home for me without hesitating.

Im having a problem with getting a title for my shell, and another member offered to help me out with it.

Things like this arent other peoples problems, but they make it a point to help out anyway they can. You just cant beat a group of people like this. :beer:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I've been around for a long time....since the old days on the Resource. Back then the Resource was one, big happy but slightly dysfunctional family. It was busy, knowledgbable, and pretty much the only CRX site on the net. Over time the Resource changed. More CRX sites popped up, mgmt. of the Resource changed, lots of knowledgably members were sent off to banned camp. It went from being THE CRX site to just another CRX site (and still is).

When the Community showed up I knew it's creator from the Resouce plus alot of the better members from the Resource. At first I stayed mostly on the Resource and just lurked here. Over time I found myself spending more and more time here. Eventually I found I was spending all my time here and only visiting the Resource occasionally. The Community has the "feel" of what the Resource wwas when I first starting lurking there.

CRX Community makes me feel like I am part of a community. I live in the sticks, the nearest Community member to me is probably Shorte in New Orleans an hour and half away. Due to family and work constraints I've never made a CRX meet. Despite never meeting any of you face to face I count you as friends. I fit in here unlike Honda Tech (I'm nearly 40 which makes me ancient there), NorCal CRX Club (nice site but I don't live in northern Cali), etc. To sum it up - the Community is fun and knowledgable making it the best CRX site on the net......

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used to lurk at the "HAMB" forum site even though I didn't own anything that qualifies as "on-topic" there (though my dad is working on a '50 dodge wayfarer). I just liked the ambiance. I realized the other day, I haven't been back there since I found crxcommunity. Next year it'll be 20 years that I've been nuts about my crx. Not everybody here has been into them that long but everybody seems to have the same attitude. We've all been bitten by the same bug.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I guess my "definition" stems back from the Resource days, where I met a good mount of the people who migrated here.

Back when I first bought my car (senior in HS), I had a couple friends who were "car guys." Their idea of modding was rice or stereos. Once I got to college about 6 months after buying the car, I had already repaired the doors, quarters and fenders, and shot a fresh coat of black on it. Plus, I had done some mechanical stuff like replace the clutch and axles, and fix a few other things broken on it. I had heard a few things about doing engine swaps from those HS friends, but none of really knew anything when it came to performance. (OK, I did, but it was about Ol' Skool domestics... my dad had a pretty nice 78 Camaro while I was growing up, which was sold for a project Nova that rotted out before it got too far off the ground :() Anyway, I arrived at RIT, and had this T1 ultra-fast internet connection, my own computer, and I was online 24-7. I started to try to learn a bit about the car at that point, since I didn't know what the boxes mounted on the firewall did, or what the wires ran too, lol. After much searching, I gave up my fear of spam-ed emails, and used my new school account to sign up on the resource. Since RIT is such a boring school, with a serious lack of women, I stayed in my room reading and learning, and realized what a group of people this is. If something was wrong, someone was there to help you out, whether car related, or not. Eventually, I began to feel that these screennames were like family.

A few years passed, along with some people, although new ones came. After a while though, that house just got too run down for our own good, and it was time to move. So, here we are, this big 'ol family, really settled into this new home.

Oh, and the CRX... it just happens to be the most awesome vehicle ever created that your average Joe can afford, race, and have fun with.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I must be at least as old as mithuth. To give you a clue, I graduated high school in England the year the Newark riots happened.

I'm new to this site and already very grateful for the help you guys have given me. Here's why I'm lurking here almost every day:
1. People respect each other
2. People help each other
3. The site is well organized - it's about CRXs and the categories make sense.
4. There's very little talk about ricey stuff, even in the cosmetic section.
5. People who post are articulate and direct.
6. The admin and moderator keep the site clean and under control fairly.

I can understand the emotion that's in a lot of the posts here. You can't put a value on a community like this because it's about people helping others. It's the best site for those of us fortunate to own a CRX.

I was always a Honda owner since I arrived in the US in 1980. I've owned a civic, a prelude , an accord and two CRXs. I bought my first Si ('90) in 1992. When my son went to college in CA in 1995, I gave it to him and bought a BMW Z3. I liked it well enough but in MN and with young children, it's not a very practical car. And, yes, I missed my CRX.

I bought the '88 Si I have now Labor day 2004 from an IBM engineer who lives in Vermont. This car was garaged for the 16 years he owned it, dealer maintained and never went outside in winter. I hunted and waited and hunted and waited for this Rex. I count myself very fortunate to have the resources to be able to buy a car like this - I plan on it staying pretty much stock to look at and keeping the bodywork and interior unchanged indefintely.

I can't promise to help that much on this forum but I'll try - I don't know a lot.
Thank you for your help and, particularly, thank you for this thread which underlines what great people live here!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.