Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I've always liked Pioneer, a few friends swear by Kenwood.

I had an Alpine in the CRX when I bought it, and it was awful. Low power, menus that where anything but easy to use, and it was butt-ugly to boot.

If you stick with a known brand name, such as most things sold by Crutchfield, you should be fine, just pick anything that catches your eye & has the features you need. 8)

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
Ragnaarok said:
I had an Alpine in the CRX when I bought it, and it was awful. Low power, menus that where anything but easy to use, and it was butt-ugly to boot.
Was it a cheap model? How long ago was that? I consider Alpine to be one of the best brands in head units, but I've only experienced them in the last 3 years or so, and it's always been higher-end models.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
jfrolang said:
Ragnaarok said:
Was it a cheap model? How long ago was that? I consider Alpine to be one of the best brands in head units, but I've only experienced them in the last 3 years or so, and it's always been higher-end models.
It was a cheaper model, such as what jjhmed90 was asking about, and I think it was a 2003 year Alpine model. I wouldn't recommend it.

Jfro, I was basically taking aim at Alpine's low end. If you want a sweet Alpine unit, you gotta pay some buck$, and jj already said he wants to save $.

But as I said before, any brand should be decent, it's all personal preference.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've always used Pioneer for my low budget, reliabilty stuff. I save the fortune for my show cars!!!

I've had ALpine, and they aren't bad. They just don't like burned CD's and don't like heat much either.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Eh. I used to have a Sony head unit. The subwoofer outputs worked normally for about 6 months. After that, if I turned the volume down, the sub would make this sort of crunching sound with the beat of the music and fade out. Turning the volume up a bit would bring it back in a similar manner.
No such issues with my current JVC receiver (same amp & sub), though the contacts for the face plate are a bit loose - it blanks out if you wiggle the face around. :rolleyes1:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Edit: after browsing and thinking for quite a while, I have just decided to upgrade only my head unit and the fronts. With that said, what can you guys recommend me buying with a pocket of about 250?

Edit2: and off Crutchfield.com. There are so many $99.99 ones up to 149.99. Do you guys think its worth 149.99 if its free shipping + better quality. I can't choose which to lean towards. Any thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.