Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. what's up guys . I'm attempting to piece together my own turbo kit. I'm wondering what the best material is to use for intercooler piping? Also, is mig the best way to go when welding intercooler piping ? Any feedback would really be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well, your question leaves more questions... lol

What is "BEST" to you?

Lowest cost? Lighter weight? Stronger against breaking? Easiest to work with?

Personally.... Aluminum. It is light weight, and more than strong to deal with pressures within a turbo system. It can be polished, the welds look cool, and it just simply works. Not cheap though, and you'll need to find someone who is really good at TIG welding aluminum for it to come out looking and working right.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Not true at all... maybe "most people on hmt use rubber joints".......

And most/all race cars use either silicone connections, or wiggins clamps. I'll admit, i used homie-depot rubber elbows on my yellow car back in the day, but after seeing what it did to the rubber, and the deterioration of it, i'd never do it again... it just isn't up to the heat and pressure. Besides, he asked for "best"... but didn't say want he wanted it to be 'best' in... lol :lol:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Wow.... its reached a whole new low... :(

I admire the HMT attitude to a point, but c'mon, there is no reason for doing that, unless you are TRYING to be the most ghetto of the group... why not strive for better with your own car? ::sigh::

·
Registered
778 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Wow.... its reached a whole new low... :(

I admire the HMT attitude to a point, but c'mon, there is no reason for doing that, unless you are TRYING to be the most ghetto of the group... why not strive for better with your own car? ::sigh::
man ghetto is the way to go lol

use cambles soup cans

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
akirarex said:
Jason fowee used spray cans with the ends cut off. ...... ... you gotta love homemade turbo style.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...
Man that brotha needs money fo his 40.
Also umm...wow :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey Blundar tuned it and it ran 13.1 at 107, d16a6

I have a flat black hatch, that I painted myself........ so I guess I am hmt style more than most here..... just have to get that turbo put on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the feedback guys.Although, I think I'll pass on the soup can idea.I'm looking to go with quality,reliable stuff on this project. But if it worked well, I won't knock it. torontocrx

·
Registered
214 Posts
What I have seen work out pretty well is some of those kits that you can buy of aluminum mandrel bent pipe kits.... like some straight tubes and two u bend pieces that you can cut and get some nice shapes out of. You still have to use silicone couplers (or weld). If it was a 92-95 you could just buy pipe kits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.