Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my HF for its first 300 mile round trip and it used less than 1/2 tank. And my car only has a 10 gal tank.
When I fill up next I will be able to compute the MPG.

But it looks like over 50mpg and closer to 60.

This is 60 miles round town and 240 hiway at 70mph for the 300 miles.

Bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
andrey320 said:
Same with my Si. Best of about 36 mpg highway.
Do you (everyone reading this) cruise in neutral? Like when rolling to a stop. Its illegal here in California, but I do it all the time. Does that save gas?
Cruising to a stop in neutral is llegal in California? WTF????

Can someone please explain why THAT'S illegal?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think the term I wanted to use is actually coast not cruise. Sorry.
Just found this in an article,
"What you should do is coast into the stopping point. During my research, there has been much conflict regarding the advice to coast in neutral, or stay in gear. So out on our track, we were able to conduct the necessary testing. Our results were astonishing. For most newer cars, staying in gear actually turned out to be more fuel efficient than going into neutral. Because, while in neutral, the car burns a small amount of fuel to keep your car from ticking over and stalling, conversely, modern cars can use the momentum of the gears to keep your engine going, and use no gas at all! However, there are two things to consider on this note. First of all, you have to keep in mind that staying in gear will slow your car down much quicker than being in neutral. So if you surf up to 80 mph and then cruise in gear, you may only be able to cruise for 1000 ft before you have to put your foot down again, versus the 1700 ft you can cruise in neutral. So for long sails at high speeds, go into neutral, and for short cruises to the stoplight, stay in gear. Secondly, keep in mind this only applies to newer cars, and my best guess from the experiments would be 2004 and up. For all the rest of us, neutral is still your best friend."

·
Registered
711 Posts
yes if i'm not mistaken, its if the car is in gear, and above 1300rpm with your foot NOT on the accelerator, the fuel cuts out.

it makes sense, cause if you have the momentum to ride it out, do it, otherwise just leave it in gear...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Just did around 26~27 with the supercharger installed. On the stock I did around 30 give or take a few miles.

edit- My "26~27" is also on a d16y8 not a d16a6. My "30 give or take a few miles" was on the d16a6 not the y8.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
38mpg with the d16a6 was the best driving very easy.
30mpg with b16a, it had a constant o2 problem and was always 30mpg :?
28mpg with h22, I get 28mpg highway and 17-25 city depending on if i can get my idle to cooperate :lol:

·
Registered
734 Posts
FooFighter said:
OK i have been wondering this for awhile.
When ever I am slowing down I usually use the clutch and glide...
However when driving with my dad he always tells me to down shift because it saves the brakes! Is this even a valid argument?
It's a valid argument, but you save brakes only at the expense of increased clutch wear. Ask your dad which one he would rather help you change, brake pads or a clutch. That should shut him up :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I did my fisrt full calculations on my trip.
Filled the tank, drove 352 miles, filled the tank, 6.857 gals

That computes to 51.33 MPG, I an a happy camper!

Bob

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
my dohc zc has been getting mid to upper 30's after i got my thermostat sorted out... beforehand, i was getting like 21mpg haha!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.