Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years, I've always just been inflating them to 32 PSI...but what ratings do you suggest for good handling (on one end of the spectrum) or good gas mileage (on the other end of the spectrum)?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've always been partial to 40psi myself.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It all depends on the tires you're running. Sorta brief explanation:

Every tire has a load rating at a certain psi. For a made up example, a goodyear eagle in size 205/50/15 can hold a maximum of 1200 lbs at 44 psi. This does not mean you need to inflate that tire to 44 psi on a CRX. Reason is because a CRX only puts down about 600lbs per front tire and 400lbs per rear tire. If you inflate the tire to 44psi, there's a chance the contact patch will no longer sit flat and true on the pavement and will begin to balloon outward. This will lead to premature wear in the center run of the tire.

44 psi causing abnormal wear might be exaggerated but it illustrates what overinflation can do to tire wear. I'm sure the governing agencies that oversee tire construction and performance require that a tire must sit flat throughout a range of psi's regardless the weight being put on it so long as it's within that tires load rating.

That being said, I think a lighter car doesn't require as much psi to achieve proper inflation and performance levels so I wouldn't put in 40+ psi. It's difficult to judge what psi you get the best compromise of rigidity/performance/life for a certain tire for a certain car of a certain weight short of engineers and track times. It's always a safe bet to go with recommended pressures because no matter what tire you put in the wheel well, you're within Honda's tolerance range.

ummm... I take the "sorta brief" back.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just an FYI, I've never had problems with funny wear on the tires at 40PSI, even doing this pressure on many different tires. My CRX's aren't high performance, so traction isn't much of an issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
36 lbs all around

Some lose air, depends on ambient temperature

More is better than not enough

I get more Wear on the outside of the tires no matter what

·
Registered
3 Posts
the prefered tire pressure using stock size tires is 35psi. using plus size tires (ie 195/50/15) you'd have to adjust the tire pressure accordingly to the tires which is about 32-35 psi.

it also depends on what tire psi setup your going to be using it for. in touge, i personally drop my tire pressure to 30f/34r. reasons being is that for every 10 degree increase in the tire's it increases the tire pressure 1 psi. so by the end of my runs, my tire pressure may of increased to as high as 36/39.

·
Registered
47 Posts
jfrolang said:
I run around 30-32, any more than that and the steering feels too light.
Yep me too! Except when I go autocrossing - 38-40psi.

JP

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dohcya said:
32psi. 190/50/r15. falken ziex512
Those are exactly the same tires that I have...in exactly the same size too. LOL

·
Registered
390 Posts
stickershop said:
dohcya said:
32psi. 190/50/r15. falken ziex512
Those are exactly the same tires that I have...in exactly the same size too. LOL
I meant 195/50/r15 but I think u assumed that anyways.... Well then, what rims do you have? I've got the Konig 10.8lb Heliums, silver! =P

·
Registered
150 Posts
29-30 psi: Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 205/50R15

1 - 17 of 17 Posts