Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a WTB thread a while back about a friend backing into my front end. It is a SiR front end and I thought it was only him busting my turn signal.

Well I finally got my turn signals, and he did pay them off. I was psyched:

Brand new

Keyword being was...

When I took off the signal and put on the new one I saw some bumper damage:

I told my father and he said it doesn't matter how good of a friend he is that he should pay for it. Many of you know its quite hard to get a front bumper from any japanese crx, and if you did its expensive. This guy had to work out a payment plan just to work out the turn signals but now that I see this bumper damage I feel even worse.

The bumper is on fine, but now that I saw what I did today I know its there forever and even more fragile than before.

Im looking for words of wisdom, NOT that my friends a deadbeat or that hes not a real friend. Im just curious as to some of the advise some of you would give. I just need a kind of pusher to get me to get this kid to pay up for the bumper.

I also need help now to find a new bumper or any replacement parts.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Look, thats nothing. A local fab shop in your area can fix that in 5 mins.

A little welding, grinding, and black spray she'll look good as new.

It should cost no more than 50 bucks.

Especially if you remove the rebar yourself. :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand the tough situation. It's similar to why I won't let anyone drive my Benz. It's not that I don't trust them; I just know that **** happens and I'd rather not be put in the position if something did happen. My brother (the only person I've offered) refused to drive it for the same reason. In your case, he hit your car and, as much as you want to be understanding, it is ultimately his responsibility. Add in the lack of finances and it makes it even harder.

I would do as the other people have said... look at a cheaper alternative to replacing the bumper. The added cost will likely put some kind of strain on your friendship. If you can fix it for a reasonable amount, just suck it up. If anything, you can let your friend know about it and just tell him that he owes you a drink or something. I've had it happen and really, potentially losing the friendship is not worth it.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
It's a weak point in the design of our cars, and it takes next to nothing to break that little tab.

One of mine is sheered off as well, and my turn signals are snug.
If you have it plasticwelded, it will be just as good as new.

If you want out cheap, you can do it yourself with an old soldering iron and a heat gun. The signal will cover it up anyway. If you do it, I suggest you get a tube of JBweld, and tack a lip of sheet metal, or aluminum on there as support, to make it stronger than it was.

It's a pain. But you're dealing with 15yr old parts.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have missed something from the feel with my hands but I couldn't move this part with my bare hands. From the feel of it I felt that it bent metal hence why I am somewhat strung up because if this is a support for the bumper then thats why I would want it replaced. If its a peice of plastic would probably would have just swallowed and asked for a mcdonalds meal or something.

I just thought this was something more...

I leave to move Idaho tomorrow morning at 8 so this is kind of something that sucks the big one. Im waiting for the person to come home to see what he wants to do reguardless of a 1/2 inch peice of plastic or metal support. Ill see what he says.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Is it a piece of plastic tab that is snapped off or is it an actual piece of the bumper support?

If it is just a cheap insignifigant piece of plastic, i would look to just having it repaired or just suck it up and not worry about it. As long as the bumper signal is snug, i wouldn't worry about it.
But if it is part of the support, i would find another support.

Is the JDM support the same as the US Hf one?

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
that appears to be a very easy fix. with a soldering iron, you will want to melt in a bit of scrap from another bumper. Make sure that what you are melting in heats up the bumper on the car enough to melt that and bond to it. It's a pretty simple process. It is also nice that the damage is hidden behind the light.

If you need scrap I can probably come up with some from my bumper graft.

·
Registered
117 Posts
IMO:
This is something you need to chalk up.
With cars like ours, it's all part of the risk.
JDM parts are worth big bucks - to us, not everyday people, and you can't expect any/everyone to honor that ****.
If so, you should get out of the JDM/car game.

I got a set of EE8 seats. I paid almost $800 for them. I can't tell one of my friends they owe me $400 if they poke a hole in one by mistake.

I could, but thats just bein an irresponsible ass.

If I were your friend, I'd be more then willing to have a shop fix it, but if you asked me to replace it, I'd refuse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.