Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the good stuff-- I bought my white 90 Si over spring break my junior year in highschool. Now here it is spring break my junior year and college. I paid 2500 for it then, plus 400 for timing belt, 400 for a break job rebuild thingie, 150 for ignitor and main relay, 100 for the alternator, plus other minor maintenence stuff, then 20 for a AEM CAI (and it wasnt stolen!!) then a *cough* cherrybomb muffler *cough*. totalling about 3600. not bad for 4 years of fun driving.

Now the bad-- my clutch is gone. or so my mechanic says. some may have read my clutch cable adjustment thread... He'll charge me about 500 bucks for a new clutch and resurfacing the flywheel.

So my big delima is if i want to dish out the cash i dont have and get it done, or park my CRX in my parents driveway and be carless the last 2 months of this semester, the get it fixed during the summer OR cut my losses and get a newer car (i REALLY dont want to do this, but i need some conviencing that its not the best alternative). Fixing it myself is really out of the question. I'm down for the work, i just dont have the experience or the tools/place.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
a clutch isnt that bad to change. $500 sounds about right though. If scrap the rex for a newer car you get a new burnden, CAR PAYMENTS!!!

If I were you I would fix it and keep having fun. Yeah its an older car but its paid for.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would just shell out the money for the new clutch. $500 sounds about right on for a new clutch done at a shop. You could always get a friend to help you out like I did. I've done two clutch replacements in the past six months and he helped out with both.

If you go with oem replacement you could get away with paying around $200, including a case of beer.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I'll offer to help with the clutch. I've only done one myself, and I thought it was a pain in the arse. Mainly getting the tranny back on was the biggest headache. I do have more air tools now so it may be faster this time. For the Exedy OEM clutch, release bearing and pilot bearing, I think I paid like $90 off the top of my head. And about $30 for flywheel resurfacing. If you buy some beer and help out on a Saturday, come on up. I'm in Lawrenceville which is a decent hike for you. You'd probably have to stay the night, but you're welcome to. It would save you several hundred bucks. Just let me know.

I actually have an extra flywheel too, so I could get that one resurfaced before-hand to save some time. It's from an 88 Si. I don't know if it will work for the 90, but someone on here should know.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Flywheel wont work because it's smaller plus the dowels for the pressure plate are indexed differently than the 90.

Charlie, I would take Tom up on his offer. Nothing else you can get will be like the CRX.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom, i might just take you up on your offer! but it probably wont be until this summer. lol, i'll have to give you the money to buy the case though, im only 20 :cry:

I guess since i never really had a "real" car payment i didnt think of how much cheaper this is, although it does seem like im just pooring it down the drain.

thanks guys

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you're a true CRX guy, you'll regret getting rid of it, and whatever car you get won't really measure up in the long run. I got rid of my 89 CRX Si (and my 87 too), and it only took about a year before I was back in another Rex. When you think about the amount you've put in the car in the last 4 years or so, it's less than you would spend fixing or maintaining most cars, and it's certainly less than a car payment every month. Learn to do some things yourself (like that $400 brake job), and it's even less. When something out of your league like a clutch comes along, you can either pony up the cash or, even better, find a friend or fellow rexer on the forum here that's willing to help...then you spend a lot less, have some fun (and a few cold beers), and learn how to do it yourself so next time you or a buddy or a guy on the forum needs a hand, you can be the one to show HIM. One of the great things about the CRX is the fact that it's pretty damn easy to work on (although we've all struggled at times)...if we all took our cars to the shop every time something came up, we'd all be trying to decide if it was worthwhile to keep our rexes or not too :)

Luckily you've come across a cool bunch of guys. Take the offer of help and you'll be good in no time. Hell, if I was close, I'D buy the beer! :)

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Ok Charlie, no problem. Although I must tell you that we're expecting our 2nd baby in the middle of June so as that time gets closer, more stress, less time, etc. But keep it in mind, and you are welcome to come on up. Unfortunately we can't use that extra flywheel I have. (Thanks Heu!) Let me know when the time comes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts