Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking bout building an all-motor setup (motor, trans, etc.) for my 91 HF, I have a b18 non-vtec in it right now. I was wondering what setup would give me the most out of my money? I was thinking of building up an ls-vtec, they seem to be pretty cheap for the power. I just want all motor for now, beings I want something semi-reliable to get me through school. Future plans might be a turbo and/or nitrous. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I build up the head on it, I've heard of them going well over 7k. Also how realistic would 12's be (even if it's on DOT's), also how many HP is possible, and what all would need to be done to reach it?

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
The head is not the limiting factor, the bottom end is. The longer stroke and thinner bore can cause cylinder distortion if you rev it too high. To reliably rev to 8k I would recommend sleeving the block and getting forged internals.

Nearly any HP is possible, it's all going to depend on your budget, and how far you're willing to go with it. If you have just a B18A/B in it now, slapping a B16 head on will probably give you 30 or 40 hp. That's just a guess though, there are a lot of variables in there. If you turbocharge the basic LS/VTEC later and still keep it under 7k, you'll have some very nice figures and it will still be quite reliable. You could probably go to 12 or 14 psi on the stock bottom end if it's tuned right.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Dunno guys... the LS/VTEC that we put together for my old roommate for instance was running LS Rods, B16 pistons, B16 head with ITR Valvetrain... It had ARP Headstuds, and otherwise was stock... that sucker hauled bawls, and was revved on a several-times-per-day-basis up to 8300rpm, and was quite happy about it...

There is nothing wrong with the B18A/B bottom end.

The VTEC head WANTS higher RPMs... if you limit the motor to 7k, then you may as well just get some badass cams, and put them in the LS head... You go to the VTEC head so that you can rev higher, and make more power high and low-end while still having a decent idle.

Just an opinion from the peanut gallery :p

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
I didn't say it will blow up, but it's certainly happened. Personally I've seen and heard enough horror stories with them that I wouldn't feel safe revving one to 8k every day. There isn't anything wrong with an LS bottom end but admittedly they weren't designed for that. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Just dont forget that all horror stories leave out VERY important facts... and most don't want to admit their own faults. Too many people in this hobby these days cut corners, and do crappy builds just to do them, and then when it blows up or gets hurt, they blame everything but the corners that they cut, and themselves.

I'd feel comfy revving an LSV that i know was assembled a certain way to 8300 daily... you may not, and thats cool, but don't let others horror stories deter you from something that might kick ass, like a high revving, torquey B-motor.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would u recommend for bottom end parts, and what would you recommend for parts for the head? I havent had much experience at finding the best combinations of parts to build a motor, ie. what parts go best with what, what'll give the best gains, etc. I would like to have an idea of what all i'm gonna do so I have a plan and a budget thought out before I tear into things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.