Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy a short ram intake for my baby. whats a good brand out there that doesnt cost too much? can someone point me in a direction, perhaps a link, to something good? i was looking into aem and k&n...but what are you people's ideas?

im hoping to purchase one that will fit directly into my stock engine, hopefully not having to reposition anything in the bay..such as the battery. but i know there are ways of getting around that...so whacha think?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I got one off ebay for like $30 shipped, works good enough for me.
I can't see spending $200 more for an AEM, even if by some chance it does give 1 hp more that the cheapie.
My $.02

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-AEM- ... enameZWDVW

i was looking at that and it seems to be a relatively low price for its kind. for someone who has never installed an intake, it looks to me that the tubing is rather short, and i would imagine the filter iteslf, sitting on top of the battery :rolleyes1: im kind of confused as to how its supposed to fit. (maybe it fits just fine?) I've seen people tuck it, ive seen short/long tubing..but i guess it depends on how the owner mods it.

so basically...what needs to be done for me to properly install one? I know this must be one of the easiest things out there to do, as it is swap out swap in, but im just not sure on what to order. any advice?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
tubing is tubing. . . for the most part. . . .buy an el cheapo one and toss the crap filter that they come with in the trash and just buy a good K&N cone for the end of it. . .
or fab one up your self with a trip to lowes and some exhaust pipe make a template and have an exhaust shop bend a piece up for you. . . . they can prob do it with some scrap that they have laying around. . .

then throw a K&N on it

·
Registered
20,303 Posts
ef8crazy said:
with an aftermarket intake you get a couple ponys and a deep throatier sound.
Adding an aftermarket intake will only give you a 2-4 hp increase, MAYBE.
As for the sound, who cares? Sound does not make hp, that is the ricer theory and If that were the case everyone would have a fart can on their car.
The same results can be had with saving your money and simply removing the resonator and buying a quality airfilter.

I removed the resonator from my car when i first got it and just recently took the short ram intake that came with my Crx off of it after finally finding a stock Si airbox, put a good filter in it and it is good to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I realize that this thread was initially started by someone looking at a short ram intake, and have read the replies, but while we are on the subject, what about a full CAI? Do you feel that the money is worth it then? :?

·
Registered
20,303 Posts
randY49 said:
what about a full CAI? Do you feel that the money is worth it then? :?
Had an AEM CAI in my '94 Civic Coupe (it came with the car), and to be honest, no. Overpriced, over-hyped item for the amount of hp you gain with them. Once i got the civic, i promptly took off the CAI and sold it.

For me and my $, just not worth it, even if it is a cheap $30 ebay intake.
Why spend the $ on such miniscule gains.
Save the $ and put it to better use.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I rode around for quite some time with the factor air-box sans-resonator. It sounded like a SRI, and it did feel like it did somewhat better on high-rpms.

I saved up and researched and eventually got an Ice-Man intake. Its plastic, it tapers the diameter smoothly form the filter to the TB, and you can use it as a SRI or CAI. I have mine as an SRI with a heat shield.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.