Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely post new topics in the lounge, so I figured I should drum up some action. How long have you been a rexer? For those of you with multiple CRXs, post your whole story.

I bought mine on Sunday, May 6th 2001. I was 17, it was my first car. Still is, actually. I've been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After owning a Proton *cough* for a good 4 years (i dont think they even have them in the US) i was in search for a Honda Prelude. Saw heaps but nothing quite right.
Then only bout 2 months ago i found my CRX. saw it on a website one day, boughht it the next. its the best i love it!
short story eh :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Bought mine in febuary '05. Drove it from denver to Colorado Springs. It was the first time I had ever driven a manual outside of a parking lot. Loved been de-ricing it ever since.

·
Registered
734 Posts
First, the pre-Rex era: my first car when I turned 16 was a hand-me-down 1988 Ford Ranger pickup from my dad (he got a new 96 S-10 to replace it). Drove it for awhile, got it painted at Maaco because the stock metallic brown (ugh) had the peeling clearcoat issue. A quick-lube oil-change place failed to pull the old filter gasket off the block when replacing the filter, leading to the engine self-destructing shortly thereafter. Took the check that they gave me and bought a 1966 Ford Fairlane and a swap kit, yanked the 289 V8 and threw it in the Ranger with tons of bolt-ons, and drove that incredibly fast death-trap around for awhile until the engine blew (I was dumb and spend money on speed parts without rebuilding the engine).

I was a sophomore in college at this point, and decided I wanted something quick but reliable with decent gas mileage...a good college car. I'd been reading about CRXs and was on an old email digest thing for CRXs (anyone remember that?), and I tracked down my first color choice, a 1989 Barbados Yellow Si, in Detroit (about a 5 or 6 hour drive away). This was in early 2000, and I paid $3000. Got the car with 104,000, drove it until 133,000 or so when the stock engine threw a rod through the block (the first real sign of the Y-49 curse). I was working full-time as an intern with a 1-hour commute, and needed the car back fast...so I paid a local shop to swap a DOHC ZC into the car along with a new clutch, etc. Drove the car for awhile like that, facing various results of the curse, like the car getting hit twice in a parking lot while parked. The second time that happened, I got a pretty fat insurance check due to the quarter panel being deeply dented, so I took the money and had a friend of mine, who worked at a bodyshop and did work on the side, repair the damage, install a Wings West bodykit and CF hood, and repaint the whole car. While the car was being repainted, I picked up a $2000 Silver 87 CRX Si with just over 100,000 miles to drive in the meantime and play around with.

It was only a few months after I got the car back when, driving home to my parents house for Christmas in the snow from Chicago (where I was living at the time), a Suburban pulled a bonehead move where he almost changed lanes into me, freaked out and overcorrected, and ended up sliding sideways in front of me on the interstate. I tried to sneak around him in the emergency lane, but I just didn't have the room and ended up sliding down into the median. No big deal...except there were trees in the median on this stretch of interstate. Trashed a fender, messed up the door and front bumper a little, and bashed up the hood. Since I had just spent a bunch of money on the car and waited while my friend painted it in his spare time, this really pissed me off -- to the point where I didn't even want to deal with fixing it.

I sold the Y-49 with about 170,000 miles to my friend and future roommate, and decided to pick up something fast to go along with the 1G CRX. I found a good deal on a modified 1G AWD turbocharged DSM (Talon), which was incredibly fast but unreliable and a pain in the butt. I only owned it for a few months before selling it and buying a 1991 Integra LS with only 74,000 miles for $3200 from a dealer in the Chicago suburbs. I sold the 1G CRX shortly thereafter. I drove the Teg for probably a little over a year before I got the CRX fever again, and traded it straight-up about 8 months or so ago for my current car, a black (the color I've wanted for a long time) 91 DX with a SOHC VTEC ZC engine swap and a fair amount of mods. And that's my CRX story!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought an 86 Si somewhere around the beginning of 1999. I was a freshman at OSU, had no money, had no brains, and spent way too much ($800) on a piece of **** that I instantly fell in love with. I was just looking for any import under $1000... I would have been happy with an old corolla, but as luck would have it, this was the best deal I could find. It was a repaint with lots of rust, and I routinely had to climb in and out through the window. Unfortunately, when you spend all your cash on a car, the only way to get more cash is to sell said car, which is what happened.

About a year and a half later, I cajoled my parents into buying me a second gen CRX. They found a 91 with high mileage but in excellent shape. 250,000 miles, on it's second engine. It was a red Si, bone stock. I drove the hell out of that thing until I enlisted in the Air Force and sold it to cover my lease before I left for basic.

Then in spring of 2003, after I was settled in Nebraska with a wife, a dog, and a little bit of money, I decided to learn about cars the hard way, and tracked down the silver 89 Si I have today (although it's no longer silver and bears little resemblence to an 89 Si).

Oh, and sometime in the winter of 2005, I picked up a 4th CRX for $200... 90 hf, frame damage, lots of rust. Replaced the clutch, tried to make it presentable... it was a pile. I put about 500 miles on it and sold it to a junktard.

Hopefully the next CRX I buy will be brand new off a dealer lot.

·
Registered
541 Posts
October '04. I was looking at Integras, but could not find anything clean in my price range. Came across the CRX, took a look, and bought it. I was never in the market to buy a CRX, never really liked them much. The car before was a '96 civic hatch.
Buying the CRX was the best car decision I've ever made. I LOVE it.
It also helps that the car was owned by an old lady who took it to the dealer for everything and kept all records.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1985 CRX Si bought in 1994 and autocrossed in DS for two years. Passed onto my son who drove it until 1998. Car was sold to someone in the Pittsbug, PA area who autocrossed if for several more years and it sold on Ebay last year.

1988 CRX Si bought for my daughter's first car in 1998. She never did get the hang of driving a stick so it passed onto my son who drove it until he bought a 1999 Civic Si in January of 2002. Car was sold to a friend of mine who did all the usual stuff (header, intake, etc.) and used it for a track car. Sold next to another friend that autocrosses it locally in STS2 or CSP depending on his mood.

1984 CRX DX updated/backdated etc. for CSP. I still have this one and autocross it all over Ohio/Indiana/Michigan. Will never get rid of this one.

1991 CRX DX w/ZC bought in fall of 2006. This is going to be a winter project and will be a daily driver next spring. Plan on doing the usual bolt-on stuff and will use a Greddy emanage to tune it. Already has Eibachs on it and I will use Koni reds. Going to paint the 99 Si wheels and use them.

This is a great site!

Scott

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
somewhere in th4 4yr ago area. I delivered a battery to a First Virginia Bank repo lot. He told me to sit it by the "black honda". I asked about it, a week later I paid the balance left on the loan $1800 and drove it home.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My first was a 89 si. I bought it from my sister back in 99. I didnt have it for very long maybe a few months. Right after I sold it, I regreted it. I tryed to buy it back, but the guy wouldnt sell it back to me. After that, I went and bought a 91 dx in Missouri, and have had it ever since.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
March or April 2000... got the first black Si, September of '02 I bought my second one, and sold the first one in October of '02

·
Registered
529 Posts
1st car 87 CRX Si 9 years ago. Sold 7 years ago
2nd car 89 CRX Si 9 years ago. Own to this day, several swaps, and setups later.
3rd car 90 HF parts car 9 years ago sold 9 years ago.
4th car 94 Olds Gutlass Supreme 7 years ago. Sold 4 years ago
5th car 90 Civic HB DX 5 years ago restored, and added some p.arts sold 4 years ago.
6th car 90 Dodge Colt 4 years ago swapped a 4g63t blew it up and sold it. 3 years ago.
7th car 88 Civic DX 3 years ago, swapped z6, jdm crap, flat black beater current.
8th vehicle 88 Suzuki Samurai 2 years ago lifted, swapped, yota axles still own.

Wow I've wasted allot of money!!!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Aug 00-90 y-49 Si :D
Fixed... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am on my second one. Bought my first one on Christmas 2000; blew the head gasket on my way from NY to Boston, so I sold the car on the New Year's Eve of 2004. Bought the current one last June. Y-49 Baby!!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.